** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
Sunrise in Station Cupola:

653343mainiss031e062066.jpg

The International Space Station was over the central South Pacific about 240 miles northeast of the Marshall Islands when one of the Expedition 31 crew members positioned on the station's Cupola captured this image of the sun coming up.

Soldato
The Gaia mission.

LAUNCH DATE: 2013
MISSION END: nominal mission end after 5 years (2018)
LAUNCH VEHICLE: Soyuz-Fregat
LAUNCH MASS: 2030 kg
MISSION PHASE: Implementation
ORBIT:
Lissajous-type orbit around L2
OBJECTIVES:
To create the largest and most precise three dimensional chart of our Galaxy by providing unprecedented positional and radial velocity measurements for about one billion stars in our Galaxy and throughout the Local Group.

_55949664_55949342.jpg

Soldato
Human settlement of Mars in 2023.

What do you think? Likely?
I doubt it myself.

http://mars-one.com/

Well yes and no. Mars is nice because it's practically habitable already. It has hydrogen, carbon, oxygen and nitrogen in abundance - we just need machines to separate those elements from the compounds they're locked up in. CHON - the elements necessary to maintain life*.

Also, going to Mars and establishing a settlement will probably work out to be much cheaper than a round trip. Simply because you don't have to carry your return fuel with you. It's a truism that in space flight, you need an awful lot of fuel to move a little mass. To make it a return trip, you need a crazy amount of fuel to move the enormous amount of fuel to move the awful lot of fuel needed to move a little mass. If you don't need return trip fuel, it works out much much cheaper.

In principle, there's nothing stopping us from doing things like that right now. It's just money and politics. Politicians will get squeamish about the idea of sending human beings on a one-way trip, but in reality, I doubt there would be any shortage of people who would volunteer for it.

*Edit: and that's to say nothing of all the metals and other elements in abundance there. There's no shortage of iron, so if the machines break, we could in principle manufacture replacement parts in situ.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think that site and/or it's plan are legit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/ufb42/ama_i_am_founder_of_mars_one_sending_four_people/

Sounds like a publicity stunt or something.

I confess I didn't actually look at their website. I was commenting on the overall feasibility of establishing settlements on Mars. It would cost a large amount of money, but it's definitely doable with existing technology. And when you compare what it would cost against the annual military budget of any first world country (especially Lolmerica), it suddenly doesn't look very expensive at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom