** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
nustar2.jpg

We are GO for flight.

Caporegime
Probably a silly question, but asking google about it would make this thread rather dull.

Is it possible for all planets to align?

I really would find it the most interesting phenomenon in the solar system.

Soldato
Probably a silly question, but asking google about it would make this thread rather dull.

Is it possible for all planets to align?

I really would find it the most interesting phenomenon in the solar system.

Yes, its the kind of one in a bazillion years thing that happens all the time in the movies :)

Edit:

Align in 2D (overhead view) I mean, not in 3D I don't think (although that may also be "possible" but logarithmically more unlikely)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Voyager 1 is is approaching the edge of our Solar System as suspected from recent messages it has been sending back to us.

This is going to be a rather historic event, a man made object leaving its home solar system and venturing into unknown space!

Stats on the mission:

Current distance:
11.1-billion-miles.

Speed:
38,000 MPH

Time taken for radio messages to come back to us:
16+ hours.

Voyager 1 Launch date:

Voyager 1's onboard camera stopped recoding images back in 1990 and since then has been only sending back reporting data. Voyager 2 is still a long way behind AU wise.

I think the most powerful quote here is the below because it just shows what can be accomplished in relatively short time and with a project still in its infancy:

"When the Voyagers launched in 1977, the space age was all of 20 years old,"

The full NASA article can be found here: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2012-177

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom