** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

for reference - @Penfold101 pointing out a similar disaterous exent which wasnt life threataning.

for others interested :
Link : Radiation Belt Mission SpaceX
watch with interest this one
Wow, that mission specification is insane. There are test flights and then there are er test as many things as possible in flights! There are just so many many variables to go wrong in that mission. Hat's off to the folk who have volunteered for that. I appreciate and admire SpaceX's ideology of fail and learn but I'm not so sure it should include so many human test subjects with certain iterations. Surely an unmanned flight could test and gather measurements from exposing the interior of a crew capsule and re-pressurisation and outcomes.

Am I reading this right, this launches on the 26th, next Monday?

Wow, that mission specification is insane. There are test flights and then there are er test as many things as possible in flights! There are just so many many variables to go wrong in that mission. Hat's off to the folk who have volunteered for that. I appreciate and admire SpaceX's ideology of fail and learn but I'm not so sure it should include so many human test subjects with certain iterations. Surely an unmanned flight could test and gather measurements from exposing the interior of a crew capsule and re-pressurisation and outcomes.

To be fair, if someone offered me a free trip to space I would snap their hand off. Yes it’s risky but I would accept it for the experience.

No government would approve it but as a private company I suppose it’s all down to the volunteers…

To be fair, if someone offered me a free trip to space I would snap their hand off. Yes it’s risky but I would accept it for the experience.

No government would approve it but as a private company I suppose it’s all down to the volunteers…
I've thought on this and although an opportunity to dip the toes in to space via New Shepard is compelling (I'm still not sure I'd have the balls even if offered free), the thought of that Polaris Dawn mission turns me cold?!

totally agree this is either going to be a spectacular failure writen in history books or going tobe a bold step.
i think this sounds stupid and to risky.

monday 26th 3am EST
7am GMT time
8am BST time
BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY so lets see what happens
might see if there is a VR event for it also

How will the Starleaker get back down? Automatic or ground controlled re-entry? Thought that this version wasn't capable of that.

Or they could just jettison it and let it burn.

How will the Starleaker get back down? Automatic or ground controlled re-entry? Thought that this version wasn't capable of that.

Or they could just jettison it and let it burn.
I think they'll attempt in orbit update of the software but then leave and de-orbit in autocontrol. There is too much uncertainty over the trajectory of an uncontrol descent. Also I'm reasonably confident I read that without the software or a pilot it can't even safely undock from the ISS. So I think it's a good bet on software update and auto descent.

It could be useful enough to just stay attached till the station is scuttled in the future - the thrusters might be ok for helping it maintain orbit, it could be good storage space, or used for experimentation with (as you say) software updates or maintenance on spacewalks.

Its an absolute ****show for Boeing, but if I was on holiday for 8 days to space and got stuck for 8 months I don’t think I’d complain!

“Your dad just popped down the shop for some cigarettes…”

also usuflll as an extra life boat

Boeing have been having a hard time of it all through out starliner. being overbudget / time and now safety issues.
they need to stop re-evaluate then come back at it when they got there crap in order.

life support suits are still an issue for the starliner crew and spacex but they have to febuary to sort that out.
this does potentiall add extra overhead to the iss food/water/oxegen/space(physical)/phyocological stress as well
which wouldnt have been in the original mission breif.
were talking 6months away. its a long time. i hope they are getting overtime pay!

Boeing needs removing from the program. Maybe instead of trying to put all fingers in pies, they can go and focus on their aerospace industry first.

Many years in the industry and get beat by Space X in price and actual performance.
This really should be curtains for some directors.

Back
Top Bottom