** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Associate
Soldato
If it's less than 15 degrees above the horizon you're going to have a very hard time seeing it (in the UK at least) - but as long as you know the general direction and time you can just find a dark spot and keep your eyes open, it will be the bright thing that's moving stupidly fast :D

Man of Honour
OP
As we near GRAIL launch the payload fairing has been added to the booster:

582197maingrail20110825.jpg

The GRAIL twins are each about the size of a washing machine.

Launch is scheduled for September 8 at 13:37 BST (08:37 EDT).

Soldato
Associate
if its at night and not cloudy, can i see it without a telescope?

and how do i locate '12 above W 22 above SSE' ?

i want to see the ISS :cool:

If it is at night and not cloudy, it is the brightest thing in the sky, no need for a telescope. You will not miss it :D

If it is below '15 or so you will not see it that well unless you are on top of a hill. Just look the way it is arriving from and keep looking :)

Soldato
NASA pays it more than $50 million per flight to send its astronauts to the space outpost.

I'm sure someone could find a much better use for that kind of money here on earth with all of its troubles.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate science giving us all a great view of Gods creation :)

I think a lot of the points raised in this video apply not just to the JWST, but to space flight in general.

Plus, $50m? That's nothing compared to how much it would cost to launch themselves :p

Soldato
That's really the earliest date though, i suspect they would carry on with a three person crew as long as possible - which would easily be until February 2012, maybe even until the arrival of ATV 3 depending on how their Soyuz holds up.

Man of Honour
OP
Watched another documentary (Discovery Channels “Last Shuttle”) about the last shuttle mission last night and still find it hard to believe that it's all over.

I know we’re looking at the present and to the future but I couldn’t resist this trip down memory lane with this great picture of the shuttles first night flight. It was Challenger, STS-8 on 30th August 1983.

583134mains8339513900.jpg

Back to the present and eight more days before GRAIL launch.

Soldato
Another one of Endeavour and Discovery at KSC:

180842mainnosetonose102.jpg

Discovery will go to the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia and Endeavour to the California Science Center in Los Angeles.

I went to the California Science Center in June, I was excited as I was going to see the Apollo-Soyuz test project as well as Pete Conrad and Dick Gordon's Gemini craft, they had put the whole thing in storage to refurb everything for the shuttle coming.

I was Absolutely gutted! :p I even had a mini huff, telling the entry person that it was a disgrace and words to that effect :D

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14659005

Right, so all Soyuz launches are grounded until they figure out what went wrong. Would i be right in saying that this is the first time since Yuri Gagarin's flight that humanity has had no manned space flight capability?

Pretty sure there was none in the period after the Apollo 1 fire as the Russians were dealing with their own Soyuz 1 disaster, so there were no manned space flights for well over a year.

Back
Top Bottom