** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Thanks for reply.

I've looked at a few critic reviews of the Stephen Hawking books, and while they seem to be definitive guides to how things work, they're not great at explaining it to newcomers like myself :). Cosmos on the other hand seems much more easily digestible, think I'll go with that one.

I also spotted "How to destroy the universe and 34 other really interesting uses of physics" by Paul Parsons which looks like a different way to explain things :).

I didn't find A Brief History of Time difficult to understand I must say, and I haven't even got any GCSEs yet :p

Can't say about any others of his though, but that one is worth a read imo :)

Man of Honour
OP
Sim man / other space enthusiasts, I need your help :).

I visited the observatory in Kielder a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. Sadly it was cloudy and snowing so not much star-gazing, so instead we had an introduction to astronomy and astrophysics which I found really interesting.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a book to get me started in astrophysics and astronomy? I know the info will be freely available online, but it's not the same as a good book :).

Cheers!

These should get you going:

The Practical Astronomer (Dk Astronomy) £10.49
Philip's Stargazing 2013 (Philip's Astronomy) £4.54
Philip's Night Sky Atlas (Philip's Astronomy) £9.59

Prices are from the rainforest. You might also want to ask in the astronomy thread.

EDIT:

A very good single volume to consider is Universe [Hardcover] Martin Rees. Again from DK and comes in at £19.20.

Science: The Definitive Visual Guide £12.79 is worth a look. You can see all of them on the rainforest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
http://spaceref.biz/2013/04/nasa-us...ines.html?goback=.gde_164840_member_228119980
"Traditionally, the forming, machining and welding of this baffle would take nine to ten months," said Andy Hardin, SLS subsystem manager for liquid engines. "After creating the part using computer-aided design, we built this baffle with SLM in nine days, obviously significant time and cost savings. The lack of a traditional weld also makes this part more structurally sound."

Very cool even though its just a cover, surprised its only 35% less, one machine to create a complex shape, rather than loads of moods or different machinery, let alone huge storage costs for storing all these part blanks/machines.

Soldato
Without searching, as I'm tired, has anyone thought about doing a joint project on here and launch a balloon up in to the atmosphere Tracked by GPS and of course a camera and some tests?

Whats the restrictions on these? Do you have to get approval?

Last edited:
Soldato
Without searching, as I'm tired, has anyone thought about doing a joint project on here and launch a balloon up in to the atmosphere Tracked by GPS and of course a camera and some tests?

Whats the restrictions on these? Do you have to get approval?

I'm pretty sure smaller balloons wouldn't need to be authorized, but I think it you're sending a camera and tests up you would need to pack them properly and get a larger balloon. I think as long as you contact the head of aviation or whoever runs the skies over here, and tell them where you're launching from and when they will probably allow it.

Soldato
Who's the person on here that's done it? Wouldn't mind reading through the project if its available

Certainly something that I would happily join in with if a team was put together

28 days isn't so bad, it's only a month near enough.

Would like to see what sort of planning and preparation stages. There are a good few long videos of this on youtube which I'm going to sit down and watch at some point.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Who's the person on here that's done it? Wouldn't mind reading through the project if its available

Certainly something that I would happily join in with if a team was put together

28 days isn't so bad, it's only a month near enough.

Would like to see what sort of planning and preparation stages. There are a good few long videos of this on youtube which I'm going to sit down and watch at some point.

Here it is

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18166200&highlight=High+altitude+balloon

It all seems realy quite straight forward. Tracking is the bit you need to work out. Spend the money and attach a cheap smart phone or similar with GPS on it and you could get pretty much exact location, maybe with a back up ping radio thing.

Back
Top Bottom