***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Man of Honour
The game is slowly growing on me. I don't think it will ever reach the classic status of Skyrim, but it's a valid attempt. The problem is that Bethesda tried to cram too much in, and as a result the various bits keep trying to split apart. The basic loot'n'shoot at the core is OK, as plays like typical Bethesda in F4 style, minus VATS (hooray). The side-quests are also typical Bethesda and thus merge pretty well. But then the tried to cram in other mechanics:

1) Ship piloting and dog-fights. For me, I would be happy if this bit wasn't there. The problem is that because it's just a part of the game, it's not well developed.
2) The settlement building. This kinda worked for Fallout (better with a scrap-everything mod) and indeed became the main only reason I still play F4 these days. But it so fussy it is now a game in itself, and kinda gets in the way.
3) Ship modding. Like most of the structural bits, it's really badly explained. OK, it's barely explained at all. For starters: how do I increase the mass limit for my ship? Can I? Even the internet doesn't help because that search shows up ways to increase my personal limit.

The perks system is annoying too: one of the first mods I made for Skyrim was one that uncoupled perks from the ones below. It's frustrating wasting perk points on skills I don't want to get skills that I do. The cross-over between perks, in-game mods and resources is annoying as well.

Overall, I think Bethesda wanted everything, and tried to get it. This is a valiant aim, but I'm not sure they succeeded. But I also think it's important that people should see the game for what it is, not what they hoped it would be (fat chance) - the best attempt yet at a space life you can just live in.

Associate
The perks system is annoying too: one of the first mods I made for Skyrim was one that uncoupled perks from the ones below. It's frustrating wasting perk points on skills I don't want to get skills that I do. The cross-over between perks, in-game mods and resources is annoying as well.
Exactly this. I now have perks in Geology and Scanning just so I can try to unlock the gun mod perk.
A mod that allows selection of any perk at any time would be awesome.

Plus a way of sorting my guns by ammo type. If I've got 4 guns that do massive damage with .43 ammo I only want to keep one but I have to highlight each one to find them, even when sorting by type as they're classed as different types.

EDIT: But the GOAT feature--- having a folder for all your new items is a genius idea. Makes finding all those notes, I just picked up, so much easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perk wise I've kept mine on the mega basics of things I find myself doing. So security, weights, scanning etc.
Only level 7 but is that a decent approach? I don't seem to be really struggling with anything at this point, just having fun exploring various sites and taking it slow!

Soldato
Perk wise I've kept mine on the mega basics of things I find myself doing. So security, weights, scanning etc.
Only level 7 but is that a decent approach? I don't seem to be really struggling with anything at this point, just having fun exploring various sites and taking it slow!

I wouldn't overthink it.

I would say worth keeping a point spare because the game may throw something at you where you need a skill you don't have.

Associate
Plus a way of sorting my guns by ammo type. If I've got 4 guns that do massive damage with .43 ammo I only want to keep one but I have to highlight each one to find them, even when sorting by type as they're classed as different types.
I've since found out that the mod starUI appears to fix that problem by showing the ammo type straight away... I haven't tried it though.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've only just reached Akila :cry:, I've been doing quests for New Atlantis and Mars, almost done with what i could find though im sure im still missing loads. Did the Mantis mission last night, that was a blast! Really enjoyed that one, finding out who Mantis was and rummaging through all her stuff. I wish i had skill points in lockpicking though, i feel like i missed quite abit.

So I did it last night. Now level 18 :)

I opened all the safes and I have to say you really missed out man. Here are all the things of value I found:

**** all!

You missed nothing special;)

Caporegime
Can't wait to sink more hours into this next three days. Don't feel like gaming most evenings mon-thu. Heat hasn't helped

Yeh the heat is a killer. By the evening my office/computer room is ridiculous. It's a new build which is south west backing with no houses sheltering it from the sun and the room is upstairs at the back

So basically from lunch time the sun just beats down on the entire back of the house so my pc room becomes like a mini oven when it is like this :/

Then because of the insulation it just never seems to lose the heat, even overnight with the windows open.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The heat is evil, made my new 6700xt hit 108c on the hot spot when in NA. Did find a random Eclectic ship so killed them and took only to find I had to pay 9k to register it to the. Sell it for 11k lol.

Yeah. That made me laugh too. I thought ooh nice, that will fetch nice coin. Then got 2K or so for it in the end. Lol

Soldato
The game could benefit from a few improvements.

The ship builder is janky as **** and unintuitive imo, it needs a lot of improvement.

Should be a way to fast equip/unequip your space suit helmet and pack, because you just look like a bell end walking around settlements when everyone else is in regular clothing.

Should be able to organise inventory better and sort by ammo types etc, this was in previous Fallout games.

Need to be able to eat food you find straight away, without having to pick it up, then go into your inventory, this was done in previous Fallout games.

Soldato

The key for a first playthrough is to just not think about it too much, apply perks that make sense for your playstyle and enjoy the game.

You can always look at the "meta" or Min-max style builds in subsequent playthroughs (or I am guessing via mods down the line which allow for resetting of the skill trees).

It is certainly how I am approaching the game anyway. Too much to take in otherwise which will otherwise distract from the game itself. Kind of like @Meridian notes.

Not hugely far in myself as I have been mostly exploring, and getting lost, in New Atlantis (am I missing a local area map somewhere?).

Played it on Series X, ROG Ally and my desktop ([email protected] / RTX4070) and, barring the 30FPS cap on console, it otherwise plays the same. I am wondering if this cap is actually down to the wild swings in performance seen on PC rather than the Series X not being capable of more than 30FPS. The performance being around 30-40 on the Ally makes sense given the limited GPU grunt but the framerate is all over the place on my desktop for seemingly no reason. One moment I am at a locked 60 looking across the main promenade of New Atlantis and then the next I am in the mid 40's looking at a blank wall in a shop...?? Now given the settings I am running, and my desktop specs (4K DSR at 65% with Med/High mix of settings), I wasn't expecting 100+ FPS constantly but I was kind of expecting a locked 60. Clearly needs a bit of work in the optimisation department, be that from Bethesda or the GPU manufacturers. (Note - I have yet to try the DLSS mod).

Can't comment massively on the game itself so far as I feel I haven't played enough to properly given an opinion. However, I have enjoyed what I have played so far. The combat feels good (for a Bethesda game anyway) and the interactions to date have been interesting. I can't explain why but at the moment I am getting real Destiny 1 Vanilla vibes. That sense of everything being new with lots to delve into and pick apart. Now hopefully it won't be as deep as a puddle like D1 ended up being from a gameplay loop perspective.

I am just hoping I can enjoy the game to the end and not get bogged down in too much "RPG Grind" as too much of that can kill a game dead for me.

Associate
Should be a way to fast equip/unequip your space suit helmet and pack, because you just look like a bell end walking around settlements when everyone else is in regular clothing.

Should be able to organise inventory better and sort by ammo types etc, this was in previous Fallout games.

You can hide your suit and helm when in setttlements, it's T by default on keyboard from the suit inventory screen.

What I want is also an option to only hide the helm, so I can walk around in my cool armour. :)

StarUI is vital if playing on pc. It fixes the inventory ui.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh... Well that's annoying.

When I got to Neon I couldn't find the ship officer NPC - he just wasn't there. Turns out this is a bug affecting lots of people - he's actually glitched and stuck under the station. So I used a console command to get him to teleport to me, now all achievements are disabled as I've cheated :p

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Meh... Well that's annoying.

When I got to Neon I couldn't find the ship officer NPC - he just wasn't there. Turns out this is a bug affecting lots of people - he's actually glitched and stuck under the station. So I used a console command to get him to teleport to me, now all achievements are disabled as I've cheated :p

If you’re bothered, there’s a mod on Nexus Mods that will re-enable achievements.

Back
Top Bottom