*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Thank you mate. Can you show a photo of it in action? Just wanna see if the angle will be suitable.

Maximum, it's JUST shy of 90 degrees.

auizYEYl.jpg

When placed down.

sTaIK97l.jpg

Minimum, and it can do everything in between. Smaller than this it will "snap" back into place. In between there is just resistance from the hinge, so it's stepless.

rD3oV1pl.jpg

I would have preferred put it dead center but it's too long without covering the Valve logo or without sticking out the bottom so the choice was either side of the logo. There is enough space without blocking the intake vent. It comes with a spare 3M strip so I can move if it need be.

The stand is made of metal so it's pretty solid. The Deck still fits into the case that it comes with still attached. I did consider whether it put any pressure on the stick inside the case but it's hard to tell, it feels okay to me, certainly doesn't make closing any more difficult, nor does the pressure, if any, causes the "click" in the stick to happen.

njVPUorl.jpg

Last edited:
Been playing red dead 2 on the deck and man it's pretty amazing what this thing can do! Left details on ultra and put shadows etc down at low and it plays amazingly well!!

Also played some resident evil 2 remake again it plays amazingly... genuinely this thing can rock out the triple A titles no issue.

The Steam deck performance is really impressive for the size. Running the new remastered spider-man at medium pretty much locked 40fps, Witcher 3 all ultra apart from medium shadows and no hairworks, usually sits at 40 to 50fps so locked it to 40fps.

Picked up this little magnetic USB C adapter so I can take the strain of constantly plugging in and out. Works amazingly well and even fits in the original steam deck case :)

r06V845.jpg

The Steam deck performance is really impressive for the size. Running the new remastered spider-man at medium pretty much locked 40fps, Witcher 3 all ultra apart from medium shadows and no hairworks, usually sits at 40 to 50fps so locked it to 40fps.

Picked up this little magnetic USB C adapter so I can take the strain of constantly plugging in and out. Works amazingly well and even fits in the original steam deck case :)

r06V845.jpg
Does it pass through data? To external monitor?

It's on Amazon but it says it passes through data at 10Gbps but haven't tried that yet. Will try once I get home and report back. For charging though I love it. Says it does up to 100w which is plenty.

Search for magnetic USB C and it should be close to the first result.

It's on Amazon but it says it passes through data at 10Gbps but haven't tried that yet. Will try once I get home and report back. For charging though I love it. Says it does up to 100w which is plenty.

Search for magnetic USB C and it should be close to the first result.

cheers, if you can confirm later that would be great.

Its really strange how amazing 40fps/40hz feels on this screen size. I absolutely love it. I could have swore I was playing Arkham Knight at 60fps but I'd changed the settings a couple of days ago to save battery life.. and would have never noticed it was 40 locked.

My new setup idea is to use the Steam Deck to remotely play my PC via ethernet upstairs in my 2 bedrooms. The docks are only £30 or so, and an ethernet 30M cable is £10-£20 dependant on quality. I'm thoroughly impressed with what the deck does so far with streaming my PC just over wifi.

I noticed this when I was at my parents and first unboxed the deck. I by mistake clicked stream Arkham Knight form my PC and bam.. I was there playing it. Incredible stuff.

Also picked up a cheap G915 TKL keyboard off ebay and trying to find a good deal on a G502 wireless for this. Then I'll finish off with a 48'' or 42'' OLED for my desk and a 65 or 77'' for my other bedroom (eventually....). Or might just stick a cheap Phillips 65'' OLED if costco are still doing them for now.

Got to hand it to Valve for their first attempt they absolutely nailed it. Only improvement I'd like to see in a second version would be better battery life if possible and a slightly bigger OLED screen, definitely doable if they remove the black bezel as the Switch did it. Other than that it a brilliant handheld.

Got to hand it to Valve for their first attempt they absolutely nailed it. Only improvement I'd like to see in a second version would be better battery life if possible and a slightly bigger OLED screen, definitely doable if they remove the black bezel as the Switch did it. Other than that it a brilliant handheld.

Agreed.

they obviously had to cut costs to hit the price point. Maybe next iteration they can just continue to sell a cheaper steam deck and then pass on most costs to us consumers for a more premium version. handling one.. i am now sold on the eco system and happy to pay an extra £100-£150 if it means getting a few more upgrades.

Agreed.

they obviously had to cut costs to hit the price point. Maybe next iteration they can just continue to sell a cheaper steam deck and then pass on most costs to us consumers for a more premium version. handling one.. i am now sold on the eco system and happy to pay an extra £100-£150 if it means getting a few more upgrades.
I'd happily pay £xxxs more for a bigger OLED, bigger primary nvme and better battery and I'm totally in again! Really like the software. Desktop mode is good too. I'm well chuffed imo.

cheers, if you can confirm later that would be great.

Just tried connecting it to a monitor running at 4K 60hz and it connected just as fast with the magnetic USB C adapter as it did directly :)

I'm always carful with my connectors and so far I haven't broken or worn one out, but considering how often that single USB C port will be used for charging and docking it's nice knowing I use it as much as I want without wear and tear.

Here's what it looks like left attached in the original case, plenty of room.

HYHVxf8l.jpg

vj2Pf2wl.jpg

Last edited:
Just tried connecting it to a monitor running at 4K 60hz and it connected just as fast with the magnetic USB C adapter as it did directly :)

I'm always carful with my connectors and so far I haven't broken or worn one out, but considering how often that single USB C port will be used for charging and docking it's nice knowing I use it as much as I want without wear and tear.

Here's what it looks like left attached in the original case, plenty of room.

HYHVxf8l.jpg

vj2Pf2wl.jpg

Thanks for confirming, ordered!

Playing Halo 3, Doom 3 and other games on this is kind of mind blowing. I know they are old so if course they will work, but man Doom 3 blew me away at the time visually and to have that in handheld running this well is giving me a similar feeling.

I need to settle on one game at a time but it's a bit hard to not just install stuff to see how well it all runs :D

I'll focus on Halo 3 I think, still never played that campaign so this feels like a good opportunity

Looks like the Steam Deck has been very successful. A lot of people have since bought AAA games at full price through the steam store. This was always Valve's vision.
Personally I'm old school and much prefer to play older titles. Most of them even look like modern games at 800p on a smallish screen, and because they're less demanding, battery life is reasonable, even at 60fps.

Back
Top Bottom