*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Caporegime
I am slowly coming round to this, rather thinking of it like a low spec gaming PC, I am starting to think of it like an Xbox Series S on the Go. It's the mobile Xbox that MS never made. Seeing it only targets to run 720p it should run most games just fine handheld.

Hopefully by the time it arrives travelling will be the norm again.

Dual boot with windows so have GamePass, get a large microSD for storage, can even run off games on a external SSD as well.

plus it will be handy to have a Windows machine at home for the odd thing now and again (Mac only at the moment).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I read that Index was actually sent couple months early to early adopters compared to advertised time. We'll see, I could use it right now already.
Yeah, that would be cool. My order was within 10 minutes of launch. Would be nice to get it this year.

Which version did you order? I went for the 64GB as I can just expand it as and when I need. For now I will just stick in the 128gb SDXC card I have in my Switch which I do not even use which should do the job just fine for the games I am interested in playing which will be mainly old ones.

Associate
The 256 is showing Q3 2022 for new orders :eek:

I wonder if this will work seamlessly with the Xbox app for using Game Pass? That would awesome if so.

i believe mine is Q2 512gb from memory because of the ******** that happened on friday

spencer did say they don't mind what platform your using game pass on they want it on as many different platforms as possible everyone was hoping that switch would get it but now they may aim to get it on the steam deck before they have to bribe nintendo with oodles of money.

Caporegime
Mine is Q1 for the 512gb, hopefully it's not delayed, would like to take this with me when I go to Japan next summer.

That would be good, although on a sidenote, I would avoid Japan in the summer. If you think it is hot here now in the UK, Japan is worse, like much worse. Avoid July and August unless you have to. June is raining season, and the summer all the way up to October is Typhoon season. Although i wouldn't worry about that personally, you got to be really unlucky and typically they only last a day when it hits and you never know which part of Japan it hits.

Soldato
That would be good, although on a sidenote, I would avoid Japan in the summer. If you think it is hot here now in the UK, Japan is worse, like much worse. Avoid July and August unless you have to. June is raining season, and the summer all the way up to October is Typhoon season. Although i wouldn't worry about that personally, you got to be really unlucky and typically they only last a day when it hits and you never know which part of Japan it hits.

Wife is a teacher, no choice for a 3 week long holiday any other time of the year unfortunately :( Just going to have to cope with it.

Caporegime
Wife is a teacher, no choice for a 3 week long holiday any other time of the year unfortunately :( Just going to have to cope with it.

Ah, here are a few tips

1 - Have coins on you to get drinks and stay hydrated. Lots of 7-11 or vending machine around. Be sure to get the BLUE icon on the vending machine, RED is for hot drinks. You can actually download an app on the iPhone call Suica, load up money in it and use that as contactless for vending machines and 7-11. As opposed to buying a physical one for £5 from train stations.

iCDPW27.png

This is really useful because it saves me going to top up the physical card from the machines, i can top it up as i go. Not a lot of places accept contactless from a bank card but they accept Suica as payment. Like ticket machines at Temples. You will need an app per person, you can only pay for 1 ticket per phone/account.

2 - Japanese don't really do Deodrants, they have them but in tiny roll on. Quite hard to find a spray one. Reason being that the Japanese in the majority, genetically, don't have BO.

3 - Try land in Haneda, it's much closer to the Tokyo (if you are going to Tokyo). Narita is not in Tokyo, Haneda is 30mins on the over ground train and Narita is 2hrs away.

Soldato
Which version did you order? I went for the 64GB as I can just expand it as and when I need. For now I will just stick in the 128gb SDXC card I have in my Switch which I do not even use which should do the job just fine for the games I am interested in playing which will be mainly old ones.
I went for 256..mostly for the faster loading, I usually play one or two games at the same time, so it should hopefully fit.
Would be nice if developers included SteamDeck branch builds on steam that would contain smaller textures and install sizes.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
All the games played and shown by IGN in their hands on video were played from the SD card, by the way.
Nice. Pretty sure I will be perfectly fine then as old games won’t load any faster on faster ssd for the most part. I just can’t see myself playing new games on it much, that what my pc is for. I just love the idea of being able to run Deus Ex, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy etc on it without it breaking a sweat.

This is what I love about pc gaming. With a device like this you can have your huge library of games that span many generations in one place.

Back
Top Bottom