*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Sorry, what does all of this mean? :cry:
Up until a few days ago the Steam operating system was only 3.5 in preview. You have the option of stable, beta or preview.
This means 3.5 (with many improvements) has been moved to stable

Also I love that the Deck OLED is still in stock. Skalpers must be highly disappointed :D :D :D
I hope many end up with unsold devices that they have to sell for a loss instead of getting the £800 they're asking for.

Last edited:
Associate
Up until a few days ago the Steam operating system was only 3.5 in preview. You have the option of stable, beta or preview.

Also I love that the Deck OLED is still in stock. Skalpers must be highly disappointed :D :D :D
I hope many end up with unsold devices that they have to sell for a loss instead of getting the £800 they're asking for.
Ah, stable channel! You said stabke branch, so didn’t know what you meant.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I hope they get returned and sold as recertified at a nice 20% discount. I would buy one then :cry:

Soldato
Been fiddling with the new BIOS's undervolt settings, started with 10/10/10 and slowly brought it down to 30/20/20. Haven't tested further yet but already seeing some noticeable results. For non demanding games it does save a bit more power, but for heavy games I see the CPU now staying higher clocked more often or the GPU being allowed to flex a bit more, so smooths out the frame rate.

Associate
Been fiddling with the new BIOS's undervolt settings, started with 10/10/10 and slowly brought it down to 30/20/20. Haven't tested further yet but already seeing some noticeable results. For non demanding games it does save a bit more power, but for heavy games I see the CPU now staying higher clocked more often or the GPU being allowed to flex a bit more, so smooths out the frame rate.
Interesting that it can now be done without unlocking the bios. I wonder what sort of results we will get from the new OLED APU.

Soldato
Aye, interesting stuff. Think I might tinker with undervolting, done this on my GPUs for years. Given the smaller 6nm APU and the better cooling and thermals, is there scope for overclocking now too on the OLED versions?

Last edited:
Associate
Aye, interesting stuff. Think I might tinker with undervolting, done this on my GPUs for years. Given the smaller 6nm APU and the better cooling and thermals, is there scope for overclocking now too on the OLED versions?
Good point, the 6nm chip might not be thermally limited, so may not get a performance benefit from undervolting.

Associate
OLED model looks pretty decent. I want it, but I'm not sure I can justify it for a minor upgrade. Maybe I'll change my mind, but what I have works and battery isn't a huge concern for me right now. It's very encouraging to see that it was worth it for Valve to release a refresh though! Can't wait to see the next iteration.

Soldato
OLED model looks pretty decent. I want it, but I'm not sure I can justify it for a minor upgrade. Maybe I'll change my mind, but what I have works and battery isn't a huge concern for me right now. It's very encouraging to see that it was worth it for Valve to release a refresh though! Can't wait to see the next iteration.

Depends on what you value for sure, to me LCD to OLED is like going from a black and white tv to colour. Won't entertain a device without one.

Back
Top Bottom