*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Don
Watched some reviews looks like a nice piece of kit so just pulled the trigger on an OLED. Be nice to play some games chilled out rather than sitting at a PC all antisocial
That's kind of why I bought the OG deck and why it gets used so much. I can grab it while sitting on the sofa with my wife and son and do some gaming while they watch crap on TV. Better than me disappearing in to the workshop or bedroom for hours on end.

Associate
So I'm 3 hrs into cyberpunk2077, 2hrs in Alan Wake and about 3hrs in Ori and the blind Forrest.

It's kinda crazy thinking I'm playing PC games on the sofa. I've not had a proper gaming PC since around 2009. I am 100% behind steam and using Linux, it has some hickups but overall it's an impressive piece of kit.

Decent gaming headphones on and I'm fully immersed.

Last edited:
Associate
There's family sharing on steam but it does have some limitations. Like only one person being able to use the whole library at a time. Presumably to stop abuse but it is a bit naff. You can go offline on the main account and then the guest can play though as a sort of workaround.
Arr I see. Thanks for the heads up, really helpful.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Here’s what I got up to today…

- Played some REmake - not far or anything, just to see how the game looked… it was alright!
- Played some Castlevania (NES) original. This looked gorgeous on the OLED screen.
- Played some Celeste, which is one of the greatest games ever.
- Booted Sonic Frontiers to see how it ran… nothing spectacular but certainly passable. Not a game I’d recommend though, quite shallow.
- Downloaded Signalis, I’ve been looking forward to give that one a go.

I do think that 2D games and handhelds are likes peas in a pod. I can see myself spending quite some time enjoying those much like I have with the switch.

The reflections were concerning to me initially in the day and I have actually ordered an anti-reflection protector. But having played the game in evening indoor lighting, it’s absolutely fine - non issue. What makes most of the difference, as highlighted by a vid in the subject, is the light reflected from your face. It can be a total mirror with the screen off. With the screen on I think it’s a case of choosing what you ‘see’ - you get the exact same effect looking dead on at an iPad. But yeah if you are playing on daytime transport I can see the etched screen being key. Or do what I have done an order a protector.

Soldato
Yes, much less latency on the BT headphones now.
@Guest2 The d-pad is looser on mine for sure than the OG deck but diagonals now only require the same pressure as the cardinals whereas on my OG deck I had to press it stupidly hard to get a diagonal to register.

Did my first gaming session in public with it this morning while my wife had a scan in hospital. It did not disappoint. I really like the new case too.
I’ve used mine and yes, its feeling better - softer but better on the diagonals.
Easy swap of the 2tb drive too so no messing around reinstalling everything.

Associate
Aside from the eu charger, next issue I am having is the deck refusing to go to sleep. After around 15-60 seconds it turns back on. I don’t have a micro sd card installed.
Do you have anything Bluetooth connecting to it? Headphones? I had a very interesting case where I was using my Bluetooth headphones with it and then turned it to sleep, put it in the case, and put my earbuds in their charging case. 10 mins later I took out the earbuds to use with my phone and they connected to my deck and I think it woke it up! As I was hearing my game sound, I swear I put it to sleep.

This was a concern to me as it was zipped up in the case so generating heat with no ventilation - not good.

I wonder if the Bluetooth controller wake also allows Bluetooth headphone wake in error, which I've never seen before. Hopefully not but can't say for sure, and can't test now as it's going back to valve.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Played Celeste for around another hour in bed yesterday and had a blast. Really looked good indeed. As said already, the Bluetooth connectivity is a game changer for the wireless headphones.

Battery massively exceeded my expectations and I guess that’s because I’m not playing AAA titles. I must have got 3-4.5 hours out of it yesterday without putting it on charge, from around the 70% or so battery that it came with.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Battery life is definitely a large noticeable increase, playing older games like dirt 2 or 3 at ultra settings, 90fps and still getting 3 to 4hrs, this would have been 2 to 3 before at 60fps. Frametimes are quite a bit smoother I’ve noticed in much more demanding games like the division 2 and forza 5, these two play much smoother overall and it’s running from the same transferred SSD.

Temps are fantastic compared to the LCD one, even with the stock paste and backplate it’s running a good 10c to 12c cooler then my LCD one was at stock and not much warmer than a repasted one with the Jsaux backplate with fan cut out. Really impressed. Also find the new fan significantly quieter even at similar speeds and anything below 4100rpm is really quiet compared to the old fan.

Hopefully Valve can improve the quality control because other than that they’ve created a really nice handheld.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got some sonic games as I like the aesthetics but was always a fan of the superior Mario (not up for debate). I got Mania and two of the Adventure ones as they have that early 2000's aesthetic I like. Hopefully play ok on the deck. Worth a punt for a fiver all in anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Huh actually it’s looking like I’m going to get around 9-10 hours playing Celeste… 83% battery after 2 hours of gaming :eek:

That’s really impressive tbh.

Having exited the game…

WmS3njj.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Got some sonic games as I like the aesthetics but was always a fan of the superior Mario (not up for debate). I got Mania and two of the Adventure ones as they have that early 2000's aesthetic I like. Hopefully play ok on the deck. Worth a punt for a fiver all in anyway.
Mario and Somic games play great on the SteamDeck whether emulated or otherwise

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Huh actually it’s looking like I’m going to get around 9-10 hours playing Celeste… 83% battery after 2 hours of gaming :eek:

That’s really impressive tbh.

Having exited the game…

WmS3njj.jpg

Now play RE4 Remake and watch it drain in less than 2 hours :p

But yeah, that is good that old and indie games the battery last that long.

Associate
Try 1991... guess Sonic and Mario games go from around 1985 - now though
I remember playing the first super mario on NES around 86/87, it was what got me really hooked on video games!

Obviously I’d played space invaders, pac man etc. before, but mario was just so far ahead of that stuff, and is probably the main reason for video games being so popular today.

Back
Top Bottom