*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Hey,

I tried one off Amazon and it wasn't great. The reflection was horrific so I remove it.

I'd be interested one others options if using a screen protector.

It appears if you have the etched version, you're better off without a sp as you're either adding gloss over the top with a protector defeating the point, or reducing clarity and brightness with another layer of anti glare.

The gloss screen with a good anti glare protector seems to be the way to go. Does depend on use case.

They should offer the etched and default on both drive sizes.

Associate
It appears if you have the etched version, you're better off without a sp as you're either adding gloss over the top with a protector defeating the point, or reducing clarity and brightness with another layer of anti glare.

The gloss screen with a good anti glare protector seems to be the way to go. Does depend on use case.

Yes, it does seem the way to go.

Plus you get a Samsung screen on the 512GB.

Plus it’s cheaper to buy the 512GB & a 2TB NVME.

Soldato
First test was Ori and the BLind Forest. Game kept slowing down randomly, seem to have sorted it by changing to to 60fps but not sure why that is the case, any advice appreciated.
I noticed this, felt like you’re walking through mud even though the fps counter was 90.

In the game options disable VSync, runs fine after that from what I’ve seen.

Looks stunning on the screen

Last edited:
Soldato

Yep, adding a screen protector to an etched display is not really ideal. As you're either going to be adding a gloss finish which will mitigate the etched display and re-entroduce reflections or an anti glare protector which will add another layer affecting the display quality. You're better off not having any screen protector applied.

In the latest comparisons I have seen, the etched display does introduce a very slight decrease in sharpness. It's as if it has a soft anti alaising effect. Personally, I wouldn't want to introduce anything that would further decrease image quality.

Soldato
Ima level with you. It's kinda cool but far too faffy, I prefer my handheld fix from the switch.
However as I opened it my choice is either keep it and probably forget about it or sell it and lose money which is fine, I call it my impulse/indecisive tax lol.

Just not sure if I'll do it with the 2TB installed or sell that separate. Thinking just ask for deck cost + postage and write off the SSD cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Noxia such a flip flop! :p

What I've found (in my short time with it so far) is it's as faffy as you make it to be. If you just want to game with your Steam library, it's about as faffless as the Switch. You don't even need to go near desktop mode. I'm surprised how well it just runs things in the library, even those that aren't supported. I've not looked at anything but running from the Steam library so far.

The performance gains over the Switch is the most striking thing to me, FPS, graphical quality and loading times. I'm double dipping with games that I have on Switch and it's clear I'm never going to go back to play those cross platform games on the Switch again.

What I am finding harder to deal with is the reduced portiblity of the Deck compared to the Switch. I'm already thinking that taking the Deck on a holiday or trip is going to be interesting. It's going to be a hand luggage hog.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah but I knew it didn't fit in to my life anywhere, I just wanted to try it lol.
Im happy having a beastly desktop and switch for Nintendo games, that'll do. I was impressed with it running monster hunter something on high settings at 60fps but it did show an estimated battery life of 2h with it.
Probably tinker a bit tomorrow but nothing has really struck me and I absolutely hate having to bloody check in advance if a game works, how well, how to tweak it if not. I don't need that hassle on a handheld.
Also when I move the analogue sticks it makes clicking noises and drives me mad. I'm glad I tried it though. Trying to blag a return based on that which I believe constitutes a fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see what you mean and I think that's the difference with me. I don't have a gaming PC rig at all and I absolutely love the charm of handheld gaming. So the Deck is filling gaps and ticking a couple of boxes for me.

The Deck makes me think more about Windows handhelds and how they are at the moment a bit of a weird oddity. Better performance than the Deck but with crazy power consumption. I the Rog in absolute worst case senario gets half an hour of battery life, HALF an HOUR! I think what I'm trying to say is I apreciate the balance of what the Deck has to offer in terms of power and effiencity.

You have 14 days to return it, no reason needed. So you got no worries there with being lumbered with it.

Associate
@Noxia such a flip flop! :p

What I've found (in my short time with it so far) is it's as faffy as you make it to be. If you just want to game with your Steam library, it's about as faffless as the Switch. You don't even need to go near desktop mode. I'm surprised how well it just runs things in the library, even those that aren't supported. I've not looked at anything but running from the Steam library so far.

The performance gains over the Switch is the most striking thing to me, FPS, graphical quality and loading times. I'm double dipping with games that I have on Switch and it's clear I'm never going to go back to play those cross platform games on the Switch again.

What I am finding harder to deal with is the reduced portiblity of the Deck compared to the Switch. I'm already thinking that taking the Deck on a holiday or trip is going to be interesting. It's going to be a hand luggage hog.
I’ve got the Tomtoc case for it, far less bulky than the standard case!

Man of Honour
It’s as faffy as you make it. I much prefer the steam interface to the switch interface, which seems to have to think to open the store.

Haven’t bothered with any tinkering.

Edit: used the exact same phrase there but didn’t read @2StepSteve ‘s post first… great minds :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Also when I move the analogue sticks it makes clicking noises and drives me mad.
I’ve not noticed that with mine, unless it’s a game specific feature it’s definitely sounds like a fault.

So far I think it’s pretty slick, my only gripe is the top USB port, it would be far better being at the bottom for docking purposes. The dock works pretty well though and switches over to the tv just like the Switch from what I’ve seen

Associate
I ordered mine on the 19th and it's still not shown up with Parcelforce yet.

It's been in the delivery network since the 24th and been on it's way to the "final parcel centre" since the 28th.

I've got a Keychron keyboard on the way from China that I ordered on the 25th, I'm convinced it's going to be here before the Steam Deck.

... I just ordered a Deck OLED yesterday, and I've also got a Keychron keyboard on it's way from China! (Q6 Pro Carbon Black with Bananas and some North Pole switches)

What did you order??

Associate
Pulled the trigger on one today. Hopefully can arrive next week.

Been with a Legion Go for the last few weeks, and was going to get an Odin 2 to accompany it as something that has much better battery life to travel around with, but I keep thinking the Steam Deck should do both, at half the price of owning both of the other handhelds.

I had a Legion Go. My first handheld after trying a Deck when they first come out and not keeping it for fear of lack of use.

I really liked the Legion Go, but once I discovered I had a faulty left controller (left bumper got stuck down when pressing it with the stick pretty much anywhere but centre), I returned it, where the retailer (the red one in town) tried to say that my return period started from when I ordered it (20th October), yet it didn't arrive until 16th November, and I returned it a few days ago.

I didn't realise at the time, but I was going through the process of selecting a high output power bank for it to use it outside of it's very poor onboard runtime, but thinking about it more, that's crazy!

I've got a Deck OLED on the way and am really hoping it'll have the runtime to handle time away from power for reasonable play sessions. The Legion Go struggled to hit 90 minutes!

Associate
... I just ordered a Deck OLED yesterday, and I've also got a Keychron keyboard on it's way from China! (Q6 Pro Carbon Black with Bananas and some North Pole switches)

What did you order??
I've just gone for a K8 Pro with RGB and Gateron G-Pro Red's. Tracking show's it on a flight departing China; which put's it ahead of the OLED Steam Deck that is still showing in Utrecht. I did hope to have been able to play with the Steam Deck a little before I go back to work next week.

Associate
Nice! I've had a TKL but I need numpad. I can get by without one but it's just not as productive.
I've got a 96% at the moment but the slight shift in keys messes with my muscle memory hah.

Saw the price of the Q6 Pro and leapt on it! Always wanted a Keychron. Glad I checked the .com price though as the board and extra switches from there cost about the same as just the board from the .uk site. The .uk site ships from China too, so the price gouging is inexcusable! ($20 shipping on .com and £30 on the .uk doesn't help either!)

I only ordered my Deck OLED yesterday so not expecting it to arrive immediately. Ordered the keyboard on Tuesday, wonder if it'll arrive first!

Associate
I had a Legion Go. My first handheld after trying a Deck when they first come out and not keeping it for fear of lack of use.

I really liked the Legion Go, but once I discovered I had a faulty left controller (left bumper got stuck down when pressing it with the stick pretty much anywhere but centre), I returned it, where the retailer (the red one in town) tried to say that my return period started from when I ordered it (20th October), yet it didn't arrive until 16th November, and I returned it a few days ago.

I didn't realise at the time, but I was going through the process of selecting a high output power bank for it to use it outside of it's very poor onboard runtime, but thinking about it more, that's crazy!

I've got a Deck OLED on the way and am really hoping it'll have the runtime to handle time away from power for reasonable play sessions. The Legion Go struggled to hit 90 minutes!
Yeah, it really creates some battery anxiety if you're flying or travelling somewhere.

Since covid began, I've been buying and selling various handheld PCs, from the OneXPlayer/GPD Win 4 to the Steam Deck and Legion Go.

Ideally the Legion Go for home use and Odin 2 for travelling would be the combination, but considering I've got an OLED Switch too, that's £1000+ and 3 handhelds to juggle!

Whereas I keep thinking that the Steam Deck can do the job of both for less than £500.

If you're playing lower power games, I think the Deck should be good for 4-5 hours playtime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom