*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Man of Honour
Isn't that the super meatboy clone with a girl instead of a cube of beef?

I’ve just compiled a short collection of essays I wrote about Celeste (20) into a leather bound book that I’ve sent to @Noxia which clarifies this and other topics - I’m sure he won’t mind sending it on when he’s done (6 months of reading time, probably).

Soldato
Really annoyed with Valves customer service. So my left thumstick with no grip is not a fault and they will not repair it and it's taken them a week to come to that conclusion.

Just requested to return it for a refund. I hope this goes easy as I have just realised if I have any issues and made a CC dispute, I would most likely lose my Steam account, which is worth more than the Steam Deck.

Soldato
.....I have just realised if I have any issues and made a CC dispute, I would most likely lose my Steam account, which is worth more than the Steam Deck.

Eh what does that mean? Are you saying If you have a customer dispute with Steam they close your account and rob you!?

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh what does that mean? Are you saying If you have a customer dispute with Steam they close your account and rob you!?
Let's assumme for some reason they don't allow me to return and refund, naturally I would go to my credit card company and raise a chargeback. Valve would close down my Steam account.

Hopefully this shouldn't happen. But so far the support has been poor.

Soldato
Legally they must accept the return during the cooldown period. If you just go straight to your bank to do a charge back without going to the business first then that would be a different story

Last edited:
Soldato
Really annoyed with Valves customer service. So my left thumstick with no grip is not a fault and they will not repair it and it's taken them a week to come to that conclusion.

Just requested to return it for a refund. I hope this goes easy as I have just realised if I have any issues and made a CC dispute, I would most likely lose my Steam account, which is worth more than the Steam Deck.
Im sure you can just return it within 14 days for a refund - faulty or not. Just say you’re not happy with the device compared to the lcd model.
Then buy another or like me wait until initial QC issues are ironed out.

Soldato
I've just discovered and now read about the GPU bug that's affecting any deck (LCD or OLED) when using any OS version past 3.5.X.

Basically, if you bring up the full gamescope stats in any game you will see the GPU clock bounce up and down between 200Mhz and 1040Mhz. Sometimes it will go over 1040Mhz briefly if it needs it, but it's very erratic and definitely a bug as people say reverting back to OS 3.4.X completely solves the issue. Problem is on OLED you have to be on 3.5.X +

I've not tested enough yet, but it doesn't seem to be affecting actual performance so it may just be a 'reporting' clocks bug, though some threads on Steam and reddit are saying otherwise and some game's performance is down significantly.
What a **** show.

Last edited:
Associate
Good news, my Steam Deck is still showing in Utrecht. I hope it's enjoyed a nice week long break there.

Netherlands Utrecht
01/12/2023 13:28
The parcel has reached the parcel center.

Netherlands Utrecht
28/11/2023 11:36

Netherlands Utrecht
25/11/2023 03:30

Netherlands Utrecht
24/11/2023 22:24
The parcel has left the parcel center.

Netherlands
24/11/2023 22:14
The parcel was handed over to GLS.

Netherlands
24/11/2023 19:20
The parcel data was entered into the GLS IT system; the parcel was not yet handed over to GLS.

Soldato
I've just discovered and now read about the GPU bug that's affecting any deck (LCD or OLED) when using any OS version past 3.5.X.

Basically, if you bring up the full gamescope stats in any game you will see the GPU clock bounce up and down between 200Mhz and 1040Mhz. Sometimes it will go over 1040Mhz briefly if it needs it, but it's very erratic and definitely a bug as people say reverting back to OS 3.4.X completely solves the issue. Problem is on OLED you have to be on 3.5.X +

I've not tested enough yet, but it doesn't seem to be affecting actual performance so it may just be a 'reporting' clocks bug, though some threads on Steam and reddit are saying otherwise and some game's performance is down significantly.
What a **** show.

Yep, I read this somewhere else and it's why some people thought their actual machines were faulty.

I opened it to have a feel and it is infinitely more comfortable than my switch, I'd imagine it's probably heavier, but the weight is distributed better so it's really comfortable.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, I read this somewhere else and it's why some people thought their actual machines were faulty.

I opened it to have a feel and it is infinitely more comfortable than my switch, I'd imagine it's probably heavier, but the weight is distributed better so it's really comfortable.
So much more comfortable for adult hands than the Switch, I have to use a Neogrip on our switch.

Soldato
My SSD

@teastons
IMG-3596.jpg

About the same.

And obviously yes I'm keeping it now, just to play Celeste. Need to watch a video or something because I don't know how to do anything on the desktop etc.

First test was Ori and the BLind Forest. Game kept slowing down randomly, seem to have sorted it by changing to to 60fps but not sure why that is the case, any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
For those that picked up the 1Tb etched glass version, what screen protector did you go for (if any)?
Hey,

I tried one off Amazon and it wasn't great. The reflection was horrific so I remove it.

I'd be interested one others options if using a screen protector.

Associate
Hey,

I tried one off Amazon and it wasn't great. The reflection was horrific so I remove it.

I'd be interested one others options if using a screen protector.
Brotect anti glare protector. It’s not tempered glass, but gives decent anti glare without ruining the clarity.

Soldato
My SSD

@teastons
IMG-3596.jpg

About the same.

And obviously yes I'm keeping it now, just to play Celeste. Need to watch a video or something because I don't know how to do anything on the desktop etc.

First test was Ori and the BLind Forest. Game kept slowing down randomly, seem to have sorted it by changing to to 60fps but not sure why that is the case, any advice appreciated.

The desktop/ Linux side of the steam deck is a bit of shock to the system if you get into it, and especially if you've only ever used Windows before. I felt lost for about a week when I got my LCD deck but forced myself to learn some new stuff.
In the end I ended up enjoying the challenge and have kind of 'modded' the **** out of my deck. You can do so much with it, it's a really great piece of kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
The desktop/ Linux side of the steam deck is a bit of shock to the system if you get into it, and especially if you've only ever used Windows before. I felt lost for about a week when I got my LCD deck but forced myself to learn some new stuff.
In the end I ended up enjoying the challenge and have kind of 'modded' the **** out of my deck. You can do so much with it, it's a really great piece of kit.

I use Kali Linux in VM, it's more navigating it on a controller that is the issue :) Like I didn't know how to get the keyboard up when I clicked in a search bar on the desktop lol.

It's a bit annoying have to google e very game as seems to be an issue with all the ones I've tried. The Long Dark for example tanks the fps whenever any input is read, fixed by forcing it to run in Proton experimental.

Last edited:
Associate
Pulled the trigger on one today. Hopefully can arrive next week.

Been with a Legion Go for the last few weeks, and was going to get an Odin 2 to accompany it as something that has much better battery life to travel around with, but I keep thinking the Steam Deck should do both, at half the price of owning both of the other handhelds.

I've got until the end of Jan to decide if I want to return the Legion, so I'll compare both and see if the smaller screen size really affects me or if I can live with it and have the Deck as a sole device.

Back
Top Bottom