*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Can you force the Steam Deck to only use your 5Ghz wifi band and basically ignore the other?
Cant you just delete the 2.4ghz band ssid?
That said, i have a 2.5 and 5ghz ssid and my LCD Deck has never disconnected from the 5g band. Downloads peak at ~470Mbps.

Soldato
Cant you just delete the 2.4ghz band ssid?
That said, i have a 2.5 and 5ghz ssid and my LCD Deck has never disconnected from the 5g band. Downloads peak at ~470Mbps.

Well that would 'work' but I have some stuff that only connects to a 2.4 band, so that's a no. A device like the deck should have the means to select a particular band or not, unless I'm missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Associate
just got email saying Parcelforce are delivering it tomorrow. Still shows as In Transit from NL on GLS.
Exactly the same for me. I ordered last Friday so not bad if it does show up tomorrow.

Got my 2TB WD SN770M and JSAUX ModCase waiting to put on.

Fingers crossed there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
Associate
Well that would 'work' but I have some stuff that only connects to a 2.4 band, so that's a no. A device like the deck should have the means to select a particular band or not, unless I'm missing something obvious?
Separate ssids is the simplest, yes devices can switch but if 5ghz starts to get a bit flakey I find they often switch to 2.4 and don't go back unless forced. YMMV but I just have 2 bands.

Soldato
You can set this in most routers, revoke access to the Deck on the 2.4 band (wireless mac filtering) will force it to connect to the other

Last edited:
Soldato
A device should stay connected to the same band / wifi ssid.

Same as my iphone, pc and other devices. They dont disconnect and connect to my 2.4g ssid when they feel like it, neither should (does) my steam deck.
You sure your wifi is stable? I do have fttb fibre, 500/500 and a router quite near where devices are.

Last edited:
Associate
Separate ssids is the simplest, yes devices can switch but if 5ghz starts to get a bit flakey I find they often switch to 2.4 and don't go back unless forced. YMMV but I just have 2 bands.
Unfortunately I can’t separate the ssids on my fancy Asus wifi6 router! Has always annoyed me for my met quest too.

Associate
Oh hang on, yes I can! Never discovered that before!

Very excited about this, glad you guys are fellow geeks, or I probably wouldn’t admit that! :cry:

Associate
I’ve just called mine name2 and name5 (2.4 5ghz) ssids.
I kept the 2.4ghz the same name as before, so I didn’t have to reconnect the hundreds of smart devices round my house, then I’m just connecting phones, ipads, consoles, smart TVs etc to the 5ghz.

It has already made a massive difference to the SD wifi speed, before on 5ghz the internet speed test was 120Mbps, now it’s 470!! And ping is down from 13ms to 9ms

Last edited:
Soldato
I kept the 2.4ghz the same name as before, so I didn’t have to reconnect the hundreds of smart devices round my house, then I’m just connecting phones, ipads, consoles, smart TVs etc to the 5ghz.

It has already made a massive difference to the SD wifi speed, before on 5ghz the internet speed test was 120Mbps, now it’s 470!! And ping is down from 13ms to 9ms
Yeh, it will. This was a while ago, but LCD on 5Ghz band (which is always has been)

4EzPM1Dh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom