*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

What size SD card you using for that?
I had a spare 512gb Samsung that does about 90mb/s read and write. I have a 1tb SanDisk for my steam os games. If I want to boot windows I need to pop the windows card in hold the volume down and power button then chose the sd card.

If I do a normal windows restart it will boot back to steam os. Bit annoying but works great until valve get dual booting working.

I had a spare 512gb Samsung that does about 90mb/s read and write. I have a 1tb SanDisk for my steam os games. If I want to boot windows I need to pop the windows card in hold the volume down and power button then chose the sd card.

If I do a normal windows restart it will boot back to steam os. Bit annoying but works great until valve get dual booting working.

Is there an online guide to do this? I take it you need to change the boot order in the bios?

This method seems the prefer way, to have windows on a different storage, rather than take up more internal space. There is no rush, will pick up a 512G card next time on sale.

Is there an online guide to do this? I take it you need to change the boot order in the bios?

This method seems the prefer way, to have windows on a different storage, rather than take up more internal space. There is no rush, will pick up a 512G card next time on sale.

Really easy to do, video showing how it's done below.

Simply need a decent size SD Card, 256GB+ ideally for Windows and your games, a Windows 10/11 image, I just made an ISO with Microsoft's media creation tool then use the Rufus tool which you can use to make as a Windows to go install.

Just need to pop that SD card that you made on the main PC into the deck, hold the volume down and power so it starts in the boot loader menu and simply select the SD card otherwise it will always boot to Steam OS by default. It will just work as if you just installed Windows from scratch, Windows will do it's usual setup finalising and then you can install the deck drivers from the Steam website.

Every reboot or power on even if the Windows SD card is inserted it will boot to Steam OS by default so you would need to the volume down power on each time you want Windows. It's great temporary solution as I get the best of both worlds and I haven't got to wipe out the Steam OS or my data obn it to do it.

I think Rufus gave me an option before it formatted the SD card so that the Windows to go install can't see the main internal drive which is great, so as far as Windows is concerned the SD card is the only storage available.

And if you go with Windows 11 Rufus will ask if you want to remove the TPM and secure boot checks which were ticked by default for me. Also nice bonus I'm not sure Windows 10 has, Windows 11 has built in drivers for the Wifi chip :)

Last edited:
Really easy to do, video showing how it's done below.

Simply need a decent size SD Card, 256GB+ ideally for Windows and your games, a Windows 10/11 image, I just made an ISO with Microsoft's media creation tool then use the Rufus tool which you can use to make as a Windows to go install.

Just need to pop that SD card that you made on the main PC into the deck, hold the volume down and power so it starts in the boot loader menu and simply select the SD card otherwise it will always boot to Steam OS by default. It will just work as if you just installed Windows from scratch, Windows will do it's usual setup finalising and then you can install the deck drivers from the Steam website.

Every reboot or power on even if the Windows SD card is inserted it will boot to Steam OS by default so you would need to the volume down power on each time you want Windows. It's great temporary solution as I get the best of both worlds and I haven't got to wipe out the Steam OS or my data obn it to do it.

I think Rufus gave me an option before it formatted the SD card so that the Windows to go install can't see the main internal drive which is great, so as far as Windows is concerned the SD card is the only storage available.

And if you go with Windows 11 Rufus will ask if you want to remove the TPM and secure boot checks which were ticked by default for me. Also nice bonus I'm not sure Windows 10 has, Windows 11 has built in drivers for the Wifi chip :)

When installed to the internal it starts up back in Windows.

For the sd using a 512 that can be accessed from both systems formatted as btrfs.

Found a couple of scripts to slim 11 down to its essential services and apps and seems to be running fine.

Going to try and find some time tonight to benchmark native Linux games with its Windows counterpart.

need to look into wsl to see if I can mount the steamos partition from within Windows as I know you can do it the other way round.

Glass anti glare arrived today from Germany so will fit later and post some pics time permitting :)

Mine turned up today!

Quick timeline: I received my Steam payment email last Thursday (20th July) and paid Friday 21st July. Item received today, 28th. The Dutch Parcelforce (GLS) site, never updated until today, so don't be too disheartened if it seems to be stuck in limbo! Mine seemed to state it was going to the GLS Final Parcel Centre but never updated.

The first I knew it was out for UK delivery was when the Parcelforce rang my doorbell! This was my fault to be fair, I never checked my emails this morning. You should get an email from Parcelforce confirming a delivery window. Faultless service 6 days. Ordered the day after Steam launched pre-orders last year, Steam are ramping up manufacturing as I was never expecting mine until September.

First impressions, I was really worried I would have immediate buyers remorse, since I bought a Switch and to be honest, its hardly ever been used. Partly because the games cost so much, with the exception of Nintendo exclusives, the majority of games on the Switch that I do like, I own on Steam.

Undoubtedly big but the form factor and weight suit me. The Switch quickly gave me hand cramps, therefore always resorted to table top mode or adding a third party silicon case to pad it out. Driving sim games, the joy cons, shoulder pads work really well with the Deck. The finger tip buttons for ring and middle fingers need to be broken in as they are quite stiff.

Updating, took a moment, and only tried a couple of games so far, Euro Trucker Sim 2 and Race 07. ETS 2 is supported and works brilliantly, only trying to spot which gear you are in - its miniscule, so auto box may be better.

Tried one of all my all time favourite drivers sims which is unsupported, Simbin Race 07. Works brilliantly the only issue I can see, is trying to 'escape' to the main menu? I haven't figured out how you can create a keyboard shortcut to go back to the main game menu? I am not sure if its going to need a keyboard. Graphics, sound and playability, the cars controlled really well, the main menu options are fiddly and take patience as the touch screen will miss menu options, just took perseverance.

Screen wise, I own the 512 which has the anti-glare coating and to be honest, its still glossy and whilst no OLED, I am really happy, its bright and games look good, no major faults I can see.

nW17DML.png

JhhGGPF.png

mR80v95.png

BBhloZ1.png

ZNi1dtP.png

Last edited:
Mine turned up today!

Quick timeline: I received my Steam payment email last Thursday (20th July) and paid Friday 21st July. Item received today, 28th. The Dutch Parcelforce (GLS) site, never updated until today, so don't be too disheartened if it seems to be stuck in limbo! Mine seemed to state it was going to the GLS Final Parcel Centre but never updated.

The first I knew it was out for UK delivery was when the Parcelforce rang my doorbell! This was my fault to be fair, I never checked my emails this morning. You should get an email from Parcelforce confirming a delivery window. Faultless service 6 days. Ordered the day after Steam launched pre-orders last year, Steam are ramping up manufacturing as I was never expecting mine until September.

First impressions, I was really worried I would have immediate buyers remorse, since I bought a Switch and to be honest, its hardly ever been used. Partly because the games cost so much, with the exception of Nintendo exclusives, the majority of games on the Switch that I do like, I own on Steam.

Undoubtedly big but the form factor and weight suit me. The Switch quickly gave me hand cramps, therefore always resorted to table top mode or adding a third party silicon case to pad it out. Driving sim games, the joy cons, shoulder pads work really well with the Deck. The finger tip buttons for ring and middle fingers need to be broken in as they are quite stiff.

Updating, took a moment, and only tried a couple of games so far, Euro Trucker Sim 2 and Race 07. ETS 2 is supported and works brilliantly, only trying to spot which gear you are in - its miniscule, so auto box may be better.

Tried one of all my all time favourite drivers sims which is unsupported, Simbin Race 07. Works brilliantly the only issue I can see, is trying to 'escape' to the main menu? I haven't figured out how you can create a keyboard shortcut to go back to the main game menu? I am not sure if its going to need a keyboard. Graphics, sound and playability, the cars controlled really well, the main menu options are fiddly and take patience as the touch screen will miss menu options, just took perseverance.

Screen wise, I own the 512 which has the anti-glare coating and to be honest, its still glossy and whilst no OLED, I am really happy, its bright and games look good, no major faults I can see.

nW17DML.png

JhhGGPF.png

mR80v95.png

BBhloZ1.png

ZNi1dtP.png
whats the stand your using ?

Experimenting with a FPS game, first impressions that a spray and prey style FPS will work fine! Que Left for Dead!

Just tried Left For Dead as I always have a soft spot for the original! Sadly no controller inputs. Confident it'll be fixed though!

Installed Left For Dead 2 to compare (LFD2 is a confirmed game to work with the Deck). Works really well, with mouse aim. Still no clue how to get back to the main menu!

Synced a Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K810) and mouse (MX), all the issues of trying to escape a game and menu selection are gone. So much easier using menu's and reverting back to a games main menu.

Worth thinking about as I didn't realise this issue until today, you'll need a keyboard and mouse handy to get the most out of the Deck.

Last edited:
Happy steam deck email day to all those who celebrate!

I think I'll get my email next week, but the little voice keeps saying "maybe today" :p
Welp, didn't get my email yesterday, but according to the reddit tracking thing I'm 95% of the way though my wait. So should be Monday :) I'm a little bit excited

I have had the Deck since march and finally finished my first game on it played from start to finish on Deck. I usually switch between PC and Deck thanks to cloud saves.

Lost Planet 3 is a decent scifi shooter, not a bad story and it runs 60fps maxed out with some 3-4 hour battery life, while looking pretty good.

I just got my 512gb Model yesterday also! After waiting 1 year!!!

I love it

Can anyone tell me how to make the crosshairs bigger in Half Life 2? I can hardly see them!!
Just checked my preorder and it was 11/8/21. How are people getting them after only ordering 1 week ago? Is it the lower models?

Just checked my preorder and it was 11/8/21. How are people getting them after only ordering 1 week ago? Is it the lower models?

They didn't order it one week ago, they got their email telling them their pre-order from a year ago that they are next in line to be able to order it, pay in full. And then a week later it gets delivered.

My deck is out for delivery.
Can't mess with it until next week, but less than 7 day turnaround from order isn't bad at all.

They didn't order it one week ago, they got their email telling them their pre-order from a year ago that they are next in line to be able to order it, pay in full. And then a week later it gets delivered.
Sorry, this sounds like they placed the order a week ago, that's all.

I don’t know wether or not to screen protector it, what’s everyone else doing?

If you are putting one on how which one have you gone for and how is the touch screen with it on as heard it can be hit & miss?
512Gb? I'm not going to bother because a) etched and b) replaceable. And honestly while I've always managed to find protectors that technically "work" I've never found one that didn't affect touch response in some way.

Back
Top Bottom