*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I cant decide between the 64g or the 256g version I will probably get a anti glare protector depending how it looks but maybe I'll just get the 256G as its slightly faster

Soldato
Anyone pick up a longer power cable/charger? Looking for recommendations something that’s capable of charging as well as the stock one, thought maybe just using a USB C cable and a sufficient USB plug?

Associate
How are you guys finding the Steam Deck? Which versions did you go for and why? What are you use cases?

As @Raiden85 says I am loving mine so far, 3 days, albeit Honeymoon period! Its fulfilling my requirements and then some. I went for 512 but could've got away with the 256 version.

I purchased mine to play driving sims on the go, and for this its awesome! Still learning and experimenting which games work for me. For example, FPS won't as I am rubbish at shooters when using a pad!

Dabbled with some GOG games, but to be honest, quickly realised they will be flawed due to small text and playing on a bigger PC is better. Still experimenting though!

I am working through my Steam catalogue and guessing where it will work well and those that I have yet to really try; third party shooter/platform/adventure games will likely work well! Yakuza is one I have never tried and springs to mind as a decent fit!

Caporegime
Trying to decide on the version...

If money no object, 512. But you are not losing out if you get the 64G, it doesn't load games any slower than the 512G in all honesty in a real world situation, it's marginal. 512G SD card are cheap, you can get a couple of TB of cards for the price of getting that extra 450G difference.

But I think the 256G is the sweet spot.

Associate
Anyone pick up a longer power cable/charger? Looking for recommendations something that’s capable of charging as well as the stock one, thought maybe just using a USB C cable and a sufficient USB plug?
Should be fine so long as it can output at least 45w

There's an anker one, nano I think that i saw people talking about being really good and small

Associate
I bought the 512GB SKU but if I was buying again, I'd for for the 256GB version. At the time of order, nobody had any idea on how fast the storage speeds would be between versions and how good/bad it would run from a microSD card. We can all see now that the performance gap is pretty limited.

I was never fussed on the etched screen of the 512GB version, only the storage was the main selling point. I've even put a screen protector on mine which negates the matt screen anyway!

Associate
I picked up the 256GB version because it doesn't have the etched anti-glare screen that the 512GB has. I suspected at the time of ordering the anti-glare screen would produce less colour saturation and a slightly blurred image compared with the normal screen. Seems that is the case, although you would probably only notice if you had the two screens side by side and compared.

Some people have complained that the Steam Deck isn't a good experience if you know nothing about PC gaming and Linux. That will partially be true, and getting some games to work may involve extensive customisation, mods amongst other things and the trying out of different Proton versions. In that sense, it's not a true console experience. In desktop mode, people have noticed poor performance, particularly regarding the touchscreen. KDE plasma is a great desktop environment, but touch isn't so good, and I don't think Valve have a decent touchscreen driver. I've installed KDE plasma on touchscreen devices before and the experience has never been as fluid as windows, and don't even think about comparing it with iOS or Android.

Associate

I've heard a number mention the Samsung 45W USB-C travel adaptor which might be worth checking out. This also comes with its own cable.

Should be fine so long as it can output at least 45w

There's an anker one, nano I think that i saw people talking about being really good and small

Yep, personally I use the Anker Nano II 65W - works perfectly and can also use it to charge a laptop too. Anker do a 45W Nano II if you don't need to worry about laptop charging, but the price difference between both was small when I ordered it, so went for the more powerful one. You'll need your own USB-C cable though, I'm just using an old Macbook cable in my setup.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I picked up the 256GB version because it doesn't have the etched anti-glare screen that the 512GB has. I suspected at the time of ordering the anti-glare screen would produce less colour saturation and a slightly blurred image compared with the normal screen. Seems that is the case, although you would probably only notice if you had the two screens side by side and compared.

Some people have complained that the Steam Deck isn't a good experience if you know nothing about PC gaming and Linux. That will partially be true, and getting some games to work may involve extensive customisation, mods amongst other things and the trying out of different Proton versions. In that sense, it's not a true console experience. In desktop mode, people have noticed poor performance, particularly regarding the touchscreen. KDE plasma is a great desktop environment, but touch isn't so good, and I don't think Valve have a decent touchscreen driver. I've installed KDE plasma on touchscreen devices before and the experience has never been as fluid as windows, and don't even think about comparing it with iOS or Android.

Blurred image? Can’t say I’ve noticed that on my 512Gb model. As I said in a previous post, it appears to be far glossier than I was expecting too.

Either that or they fitted the wrong screen to mine at the factory!

Associate
I don't find the 512GB screen blurry either and I'm very fussy with screens, even extremely small text in some games is pretty readable vibrancy is just fine as well.

For me the anti glare screen was a selling point as the Switch and OLED Switch were pretty much unusable outside even on overcast days due to the glossy screen reflecting everything.

Associate
I don't find the 512GB screen blurry either and I'm very fussy with screens, even extremely small text in some games is pretty readable vibrancy is just fine as well.

For me the anti glare screen was a selling point as the Switch and OLED Switch were pretty much unusable outside even on overcast days due to the glossy screen reflecting everything.
Same, I thought it was going to be very dull, not at all.

Soldato
Could I ask someone to run the FPS benchmark map on CSGO? Using all low settings, shadows high, at 1024x768?

You'd think this would be an easy Google but it seems like it isn't.

I'm a big CSGO player and weighing up a cheapish gaming laptop or sticking with my work laptop and getting a Steam Deck to use docked for CSGO

Back
Top Bottom