*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Yep, to clarify, reserved for £4 a year ago, and ordered last week with delivery a week later.

Re: screen protector. Not bothering on my 512 due to the etched screen, I would put a matte one the standard screen if I had it. If I mess the screen up somehow, I'm banking a diy replacement would be available and doable. I hate screen protectors, but feel they are necessary on smart watches and phones due to the habit of them attracting grit in pockets.

Last edited:
512Gb? I'm not going to bother because a) etched and b) replaceable. And honestly while I've always managed to find protectors that technically "work" I've never found one that didn't affect touch response in some way.
I’ve got the 256 gb model, if they have replacement screens I probably won’t bother either then, I didn’t know they had those already are they easy to replace?

I’ve got the 256 gb model, if they have replacement screens I probably won’t bother either then, I didn’t know they had those already are they easy to replace?
Yep! Valve's been working with iFixit to supply replacements for most components, including batteries, which is awesome. There's an iFixit guide (and a Youtube video by UFD tech).

Not going to say "easy" but if you can spin a screwriver you can do it. I bought myself a hot-air solder station and have replaced screens on several phones, couple of MS Surface Pros etc, and the deck is almost certainly easier as it's designed to be serviceable. A hot air station will definitely make the job easier as you can quickly and accurately heat the screen edges (and it'll raise your soldering capability to the next level).

Yep! Valve's been working with iFixit to supply replacements for most components, including batteries, which is awesome. There's an iFixit guide (and a Youtube video by UFD tech).

Not going to say "easy" but if you can spin a screwriver you can do it. I bought myself a hot-air solder station and have replaced screens on several phones, couple of MS Surface Pros etc, and the deck is almost certainly easier as it's designed to be serviceable. A hot air station will definitely make the job easier as you can quickly and accurately heat the screen edges (and it'll raise your soldering capability to the next level).
Ah cool, I’ll have a look, probably leave it as it is then. It will live in its case anyway so shouldn’t have too much reason to scratch, not as if it lives in your pocket like the phone. Did the same with the switch lite and that is still immaculate (and that screen is a lot easier to scratch).

I did try a tempered glass on my 512gb one but missed the anti reflective screen, plus I would not recommend the Benazcap tempered glass (has orange box) if you see that one as while it fitted and looked great it did badly effect the touch screen.

Had to press much harder in some places, tried both pieces and they were the same. Took it off and the touch screen worked far better.

Had my eye on the Anker PowerCore III 19,200mAh that does 45w over usb c it seems, £80 though.

Should do the job though.

I’ll keep my eye on it hopefully it goes on sale, should be okay as isn’t the standard charger 40W? Is that on Amazon?

Edit: just had a look there’s a 60W one on there for £80 that will do the trick!

Last edited:
Mine turned up late yesterday but I had to leave for a holiday first thing this morning so couldn’t bring it with me.

Bit gutted but it’ll take a couple of days upon my return to load it up with games and a few emulators.

Had a quick play last night and it does seem like a decent bit of kit. Was surprised at how glossy the non-glossy 512Gb screen is though.

I never read any reviews so learning as I go along as @ntemples1 says, I am super impressed. I haven't bothered with a screen protector. It was shipped half way around Europe sitting in its case and no protector, and not a mark. Simply keep it in its case. Unless you are planning to take it to the beach, lob it in your bag, then a protector might be wise!

Whereas I would definitely recommend picking up a cheap Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse to make life easier. Currently learning which games work, my main purpose of purchasing was driving sims which thankfully, work really well and super impressed - the flappy paddles for throttle and braking are decent!

Not sure about FPS games, classic's such as Doom will work better as less axis, aiming but then it might be me and my rubbish skills! I can feel the lure of dabbling with some oldies, and learn about installing Heroic to access my GOG library.

Whatever game you are paying, games which have a decent HUD are an overlooked benefit, but work so well! :)

JDS9r2l.jpg

Next steps is to figure out if you can install patched Steam games. Power and Glory is a superb mod for GT Legends, and GTR2 received load of fixes which elevated this super game to sublime. Also the Silent Patch to restore the knobbled Steam version of GTA Vice City.

I’ll keep my eye on it hopefully it goes on sale, should be okay as isn’t the standard charger 40W? Is that on Amazon?

Edit: just had a look there’s a 60W one on there for £80 that will do the trick!
I bought a generic 65W one with a mad name (Veektomx) to charge my Surface Pro and it works fine with the deck. Advertised as 20,000mAh, which is probably ambitious, but it keeps my deck topped up for hours and it hasn't burst into flames (yet).

How are you guys finding the Steam Deck? Which versions did you go for and why? What are you use cases?
Only had it for about 3 days but I love it so far. Went for the 512GB version as the games I like to play tend to take up a lot of space. Already filled up 650GB of a 1TB SD card.

Annoyingly the two games I'm playing 99% of the time on the PC are Destiny 2 and The Division 2 which don't work on steam os due to the anti cheat, played them on a Windows 11 install and they ran very well on the deck. Mainly going to play some older AAA games that I've never got around to and messing about with emulation which the deck handles effortlessly.

Really is a great little system for gaming or even desktop use if you want to with a mouse and keyboard. For the base price you can't go wrong.

Bought a little foldable keyboard and a USB C hub which does 4K 60hz so it makes desktop use way easier.

My Deck shipped on Wednesday so hopefully have it early next week. I went for the 256GB version as I don't intend to install large AAA games and have a few large capacity micro SD cards. I'll be playing a lot of older PC games released prior to 2015 and emulators.

Still unsure how much use the Steam Deck will get though. I'll be immediately familiar with SteamOS though for the most part as I play games on my Arch Linux rig with Steam, Proton (and GE-Proton), Lutris etc.

Back
Top Bottom