Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

Samsung's 27" 5K screen goes on pre-order in South Korea. It's priced at 1.7m Won (Studio display is 2.09m Won), so about 20% cheaper than Studio Display. Should work out to $1300 USD or around £1200 here. So a bit more expensive than the LG Ultrafine (which is around £1000 these days).

Spec-wise it's the same as Studio display, 5K, 60Hz, no Mini-LED, no local-dimming of any sorts, no variable refresh rate, no HDR (real or fake). 600 nits of brightness. It probably uses the same LG panel.

They're not identical. One big difference is that it has a standard matte finish rather than the glass front that Studio display has. The stand is also height-adjustable! But it doesn't seem to be VESA compatible to use third-party stands or arms (I could be wrong about this, no details I could find). It does have a MiniDP port which could make it a good option for Windows/Linux machines, unlike Studio display or the LG Ultrafine.

It'd be interesting to see all the people in the media who went wall-to-wall with negative coverage on the Studio Display saying how can someone release a $1000+ display that doesn't have 120Hz, HDR or Mini-LED will echo the same sentiments here, or if reality will hit them that those expectations were pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Anyhow, competition is good. It's nice to have three options for 27" 5K screens on the market ranging from £1000 to £1500. Hopefully this hits the UK market pretty soon. If Samsung offers this on sale at great discounts as they regularly do with their other monitors, this can be an amazing deal for Mac users. I'm thinking maybe £800 during sale periods? That'd be awesome!

Last edited:
I expected the Samsung to be cheaper - I don't know why but I just did.
Personally, my next monitor will be at least mini-led if not OLED - it's just such a difference. I still have my Huawei MateView 28 which was a decent bargain so was worth the cost to me and I like the form factor although the IPS panel is a bit of a downgrade on the MacBook Pro display.
I mentioned over on another thread that I have actually been using the MacBook (without the Huawei monitor) just because the display is that darned good. Luckily I have been able make use of the 12.9 iPad Pro in sidecar when a little extra screen space is needed.

Sooner or later Apple will release a 32-inch version of the Macbook Pro displays. And it will be £7000 :D

I'm still using three ancient monitors. I mainly do programming and web browsing, so I don't need expensive high-refresh rate monitors. It would be nice to upgrade all my monitors to 4k, though.

These 5K screens are amazing for programming. Once you get used to the sharp text you can never go back to low-PPI displays.

It's nowhere near as good as the MacBook Pro displays.

There have been rumours in the last couple of years that Apple will update the Pro Display XDR to bring it on par with the MacBook Pros but it hasn't happened yet.

But it’s neither 120hz nor mini-led (although it is close to the latter but still short of meeting the official specification).

Yeah 576 dimming comes on the XDR versus 2500 on the MacBook Pro on a screen half the size. Also not as sharp as the MacBook Pros (258ppi versus 218 which is noticeable).

Last edited:
I've been waiting a while to see this Samsung display. Look's like it doesn't have speakers built in? I need to see how low the stand goes. Mine is set about an inch up from the bottom of the screen and annoyingly the apple display only goes down to the height of a Mac Studio. I wish the apple display had a more flexible stand rather than having to go vesa.

Trust me once you go VESA with a proper arm you will never think about a monitor stand again! It's one of those one-time investments that pay off many times and stays with you after many upgrades.

Can you fit three 27" monitors on a reasonably big gaming desk? I'm always a little bit wary of getting something like that.

Yeah, but you need three separate arms to balance the weight to all sides of the desk. Would be a sweet setup! I've got two 27" and a 22" on the same IKEA desk.

Looks like you were a bit off with the price :D $1599.

Although looks like Neowin seem to think in one part it's gonna do 165Hz but the spec is still 60Hz, may be something I'm missing there though as I don't know a huge amount about panels.

So that's the same price as ASD right?

Oops, so exactly the same price as the ASD, with exactly the same specs apart from being plastic matte rather than a glossy glass.

I was really hoping this could be a cheaper 5K alternative to the ASD. It could still be a good value of it goes on sale but at similar price to ASD there's really no reason to buy this. This makes the ASD looks like a good deal actually :cry:

It's definitely 60Hz, not 165Hz.

Last edited:
Nothing beats this for looking at text at its price point. Luckily it's not the only option out there, I'm hoping for a third party to do 32" 6K/8K at more reasonable prices. That's the only reason I haven't convinced myself to buy a second one.

Last edited:
Dell do a 32” 6K, I use it with my MacBook and it looks great.

I went with the Dell 6K mainly for text, I’m usually using iterm, vscode, omnigfraffle and general web stuff.

The difference in clarity at higher PPI is great if you spend a lot of time in front of the screen.

Yes, have that one at work. The image quality is very average, the screen isn't laminated like Studio and brightness isn't that good and has serious quality control issues, and looks awful :( For the price of more than two third party 27" 5K screens it's not worth it.

I haven’t noticed any quality issue with the Dell 6K though and I certainly wouldn’t say it looks awful. Far from it, the display is very sharp and looks great, even next to my MBP 14” display.

I'm aware text looks sharp on it, after all it's 220ppi! I meant the design and appearance of the display itself is awful. It's an abomination of industrial design by Dell. It's probably one of the worst designs of all time.

ZVHgjvz.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom