***The Official Windows Home Server 2011 Thread***

Soldato
Yep they could, because you'd have to give them read/write access to the share. If you wanted to move it out of sight then you're back to the script to move it from one share on the server to another restricted share, but you could still give them read only access so they could still view their backups.

Anyway, give it a go, just for yourself to see how it works - it's free for 5 PC's and is dead easy to setup. You might find it's better for what you want, but both will work.

do you know if WHS2011 has any feature for the script, or will it need to be made from scratch?

(a basic batch file should be able to do it shouldn't it?)

Associate
Can't think of anything that does it automatically.

But the script would be pretty simple, a copy and a del, then add it to a scheduled task. Rinse and repeat for each user - assuming they'll all have their own shares.

One question I forgot to ask earlier - are any of your family still on XP? If so Live Mesh isn't viable for them :(

Soldato
Can't think of anything that does it automatically.

But the script would be pretty simple, a copy and a del, then add it to a scheduled task. Rinse and repeat for each user - assuming they'll all have their own shares.

One question I forgot to ask earlier - are any of your family still on XP? If so Live Mesh isn't viable for them :(

nope everyone is on windows 7.

I cannot get my test batch file to work :(

Soldato
ok I have synctoy now which does the syncing from my temp mesh to my permanent backup folder. but does not then delete them from the temp folder :(

EDIT : synctoy is no use it is not automated :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Won't this work?

robocopy \\servername\landing_share\ \\servername\backup_share\ *.* /mov

ok, for my test bat I have 2 folders test 1 and test 2 in the root of my drive (c:). in test 1 I have a text file.

I tried :

XCOPY c:\test 1\*.* c:\test 2\

MOVE c:\test 1\*.* c:\test 2\

robocopy c:\test 1\*.* c:\test 2\ /move

nothing worked :(

edit : my bad I forgot to "" things

so I now have :

MOVE "c:\test 1\*.*" "c:\test 2\"

and it works. is there anything I can add to auto rename?

Last edited:
Soldato
In the Robocopy example the syntax is "path" "path" "filename" /operator so basically the *.* needs moving

Robocopy c:\test 1\ c:\test2\ *.* /mov

I got :

robocopy.png

:(

but I copied your code directly, so I don't know why it is trying to save to my desktop :confused:

Associate
ok it doesn't like spaces at all, so I took those out and it worked. but only for files (like my move batch) how do I get it to do folders?

This feels like blind leading the blind now...soon going beyond my ability lol

Try adding /s (all subdirectories) or /e (all subdirectories including empty ones) after /mov or changing /mov to /move

Soldato
1. Quotes should work

2. Yes, there will be - but I don't know how to do it :(

thankyou for all your help :) at least im nearly there :) where do I put the ""?

if they turn off their pc, it will still be in my server temp folder wont it? so I can set the batch file to run at say midnight, then next time they turn their pc on it will re-sync.

oh, but that will just re-sync their temp file back to my server wont it? so it would be a never ending circle.

Last edited:
Associate
No problem :) you've kept me from going senile this afternoon :D

You'll need both PC's switched on for the transfer to complete - Mesh will generate a temporary file, so if it doesn't complete before their PC gets shut down, it will just start syncing again when a connection is made.

When you move it out of your temp mesh folder on the server, you're deleting it from Mesh. The file will then be removed from their folder and put in their recycle bin.

If you delete the incomplete file, you'll need to test to ensure it doesn't sync the deletion to the complete file on their PC. In other words you might need to make sure the sync is complete before running the .bat file.

Associate
Sorry...in addition - I don't think you'll find it goes around in a circle, you may get a conflict if you both changed the same files when offline. But not sure how it would react if you delete (move) an incomplete file.

Soldato
No problem :) you've kept me from going senile this afternoon :D

You'll need both PC's switched on for the transfer to complete - Mesh will generate a temporary file, so if it doesn't complete before their PC gets shut down, it will just start syncing again when a connection is made.

When you move it out of your temp mesh folder on the server, you're deleting it from Mesh. The file will then be removed from their folder and put in their recycle bin.

If you delete the incomplete file, you'll need to test to ensure it doesn't sync the deletion to the complete file on their PC. In other words you might need to make sure the sync is complete before running the .bat file.

they wont be uploading at midnight (well I will pick a time they def wont be online).
so my theory is:
- they stick it in their 'temp" folder. it then syncs to the "temp" folder on the server.
- they then turn their pc off at say 10pm (both "temp" folders still contain the synced data)
- at midnight the server moves the "temp" folder to the "backup" folder
- 7am they turn their pc on and it then empties their "temp" folder as there is nothing in the "temp" folder on the server.

does this sound right?

Associate
Yep, it'll work - but what if it hasn't completed the sync by 10:00pm? You'll still move the incomplete file and it may then delete the real file when they reconnect.

Try it between your laptop and server. Get a fairly big file and pull the connection before it's finished uploading. Then delete it on the PC which has the incomplete copy - see what happens when you reconnect the other machine.

Soldato
Yep, it'll work - but what if it hasn't completed the sync by 10:00pm? You'll still move the incomplete file and it may then delete the real file when they reconnect.

Try it between your laptop and server. Get a fairly big file and pull the connection before it's finished uploading. Then delete it on the PC which has the incomplete copy - see what happens when you reconnect the other machine.

oh right, I will make sure no one syncs between say midnight and 3am. I wont auto do it on the first backup as I know this will be huge

Back
Top Bottom