***The Official Windows Home Server 2011 Thread***

Associate
No...not when you run the script. You need to make sure that they put the file in with plenty of time for it to upload to the server.

You might want to say drop the file into the temp file on a tues and leave your laptop on, then you run the .bat on weds.

Gives plenty of time for the sync to take place. If you're talking a couple of GB for the normal runs, with slow upload speed it could take quite a few hours to complete.

Soldato
No...not when you run the script. You need to make sure that they put the file in with plenty of time for it to upload to the server.

You might want to say drop the file into the temp file on a tues and leave your laptop on, then you run the .bat on weds.

Gives plenty of time for the sync to take place. If you're talking a couple of GB for the normal runs, with slow upload speed it could take quite a few hours to complete.

oh yeh. didn't think of that.

Soldato
ok, so here is my new bat file
Robocopy f:\dad\pictures f:\dad\picutres *.* /move /e
Robocopy f:\dad\music f:\dad\music *.* /move /e
Robocopy c:\dad\ f:\dad\ *.* /move /e

now this is what I envisage happening.

in the 'temp' sync folders I will have a 'pictures' and a 'music' folder. so this command will mean everything dad puts in 'pictures' on f (temp) will move to 'pictures' on backup (c) and the same with 'music', but still leaving the 'pictures' and 'music' folders in f (temp) folder so he can easily upload to those again. it will also then catch anything he does not stick in these folders and move them completely from f (temp) and only be visable on c (backup)

does this sound right?

Associate
Yep logic seems right, just the first two entries are f:\ to f:\ and not c:\ to f:\

Also not sure putting it on C:\ is a good idea - will you have enough space over time - isn't the C:\ partition 80GB IIRC.

And maybe create them under shares so if you change later on, or decide they still want web access via WHS then it'll be easier to set up now. Maybe give them read only access to their backups - so no chance of deleting.

So you might have:
f:\Server Folders\Dad_Temp to f:\Server Folders\Dad_Backup as the two core folders?

But that's just me, it should work just fine.

Soldato
Yep logic seems right, just the first two entries are f:\ to f:\ and not c:\ to f:\

Also not sure putting it on C:\ is a good idea - will you have enough space over time - isn't the C:\ partition 80GB IIRC.

And maybe create them under shares so if you change later on, or decide they still want web access via WHS then it'll be easier to set up now. Maybe give them read only access to their backups - so no chance of deleting.

So you might have:
f:\Server Folders\Dad_Temp to f:\Server Folders\Dad_Backup as the two core folders?

But that's just me, it should work just fine.

no they wont be going to c: this is just for my testing. they have their own dedicated storage which has a quota. so if their backup is bigger than that, it wont write the extra to that folder and will be left on their 'temp' folder until something is sorted. don't want them abusing my space lol.

it did not work however as I hoped.
If there is a folder inside 'pictures' folder, it will move the contents, and create a folder inside 'pictures' in backup, but not remove the folder in the temp 'pictures' folder. but I can live with that for now. its just this renaming to *(1).* *(2).* etc. if duplicate names are used.

Associate
Ahh cool.

Thinking about it why don't you just run the robocopy c:\dad to f:\dad *.* /mov /e
You don't really need the other two commands as all subdirectories will be moved as well, and you'll avoid the renaming.

Soldato
Ahh cool.

Thinking about it why don't you just run the robocopy c:\dad to f:\dad *.* /mov /e
You don't really need the other two commands as all subdirectories will be moved as well, and you'll avoid the renaming.

that then removes the 'pictures' and 'music' folders from the c:\dad folder so he would have to keep creating them for it to logically store it on the server.

I think, from my testing this is the case.

I have also include the pause command at the end, so I can see that it has finished on the server. (or will the cmd screen stay open whilst its copying the files I have only done it with small txt files so copies in seconds)

EDIT : yes the cmd screen stays open so no need for pause :)

Last edited:
Associate
add
mkdir c:\dad\pictures
mkdir c:\dad\music etc etc
at the end of the script to recreate them all :)

Open a command prompt and type Robocopy /? it should list the options - there's some that allow log files to be created instead?

Last edited:
Soldato
also, could I get the batchfile to work over a network. so say the user has it their end, and when they finish uploading to the mesh folder they can run their user batch file to sync it to their backup folder.

ie robocopy domainname c:\dad\pictures.......

Associate
Don't think so, not without the VPN option instead of Mesh, not sure you'd want a remote "untrusted" computer executing a script across the internet on your server would you?

Also, I don't have the faintest how you'd check that Mesh had finished the sync, you'd need to have some loop in the script checking filename/filesize/datestamp were equal in both folders. Again you'd need a secure connection to access both folders to do the compare.

Hate to say it again, but VPN and Syncback do everything you're wanting to do here :eek:

Soldato
Don't think so, not without the VPN option instead of Mesh, not sure you'd want a remote "untrusted" computer executing a script across the internet on your server would you?

Also, I don't have the faintest how you'd check that Mesh had finished the sync, you'd need to have some loop in the script checking filename/filesize/datestamp were equal in both folders. Again you'd need a secure connection to access both folders to do the compare.

Hate to say it again, but VPN and Syncback do everything you're wanting to do here :eek:

lol I will just execute the command via RDP myself if they need it done in a rush.

does :

Robocopy c:\dad\ f:\dad\ *.* /mov /e

del c:\dad\

mkdir c:\dad\pictures
mkdir c:\dad\music

look right?

Soldato
ok, so I finally got WHS2011 doing what I want it to do, apart from the media streaming.
basically, very user has access to every piece of media shared in the library, not just their stuff.
so what I was thinking was, just have 2 (or more) servers with their own domains so that a user logs into their domain and only has access to the library on that server, which will be their own.
is this possible?

I found this when searching

Its very possible to as I have 4 servers running here that I can access without issues from my clients. I was able to do it when I was running Vail and so it stands to reason why not with WHS 2011RC.

You can even get Remote Access to work if you want but you will need to have your router reserve IP numbers for each of the servers your running so their IP numbers do not change and it can be done on the server end but its much easier to do it within the router. You will need to manipulate port 443. On one server I have it set to use 443 exclusively but on the other I use External Port 444 to Internal Port 443 to make remote access possible. The only thing you need to do to access the server with 444 to 443 is to add :444 at the end of the servers remote access address. On that server you will get warnings about remote access not working right but you can test it out to confirm its working or not.

I took it abit further in that I added links to my servers landing page for each server using my primary server as a traffic cop so to speak but I also removed the LOGON Button because it caused some issues with going to the wrong server. Each server would need to have its own domain and I have 2 Windows Live Domains, I got one for WHS v1 and they allowed me a 2nd for Vail but I am not certain they will do the same for WHS 2011RC or not. I also have a couple TZO domains one of which is a Custom Domain which I do like very much because I do not like long Addresses. So I use my custome domain to point me to my primary servers landing page then I added a link to the other server and to avoid certificate issues I remove the LOGON Button.

Anyway you do not need to muck around with your landing page but if you chose to do so then an old Add-In for WHS v1 called WHiiST will help you out. On your EX485 the default page address if you look at the address bar is /HPHome but if you change that to /Home you will see the default WHS Landing Page I am refering to. But if your able to setup remote access and manipulate port 443 then all you need to do is add :444 to the servers address which you assigned External Port 444 to Internal Port 443 and it will work.

Below is an example of what I mean:

https://your server.homeserver.com:444/remote

Hope this helps....

Associate
Explain what you want to do with the media streaming element again?

I think having additional servers just to share a few GB of media remotely is overkill there must be a better way. I'm not sure that post is relevant until you've gone down the route of having multiple servers.

I think I would start by looking to see what other software/programs exist that can allow media to be shared over the internet. Then workout whether that can be installed on the WHS2011. Finally work out how you make this available to the wider world, as it wouldn't be through the WHS RWA page.

Ideally you want someone to create you a WHS2011 add-in that allows you to setup access controlled media libraries and then present that through the WHS RWA page.

Soldato
Explain what you want to do with the media streaming element again?

I think having additional servers just to share a few GB of media remotely is overkill there must be a better way. I'm not sure that post is relevant until you've gone down the route of having multiple servers.

I think I would start by looking to see what other software/programs exist that can allow media to be shared over the internet. Then workout whether that can be installed on the WHS2011. Finally work out how you make this available to the wider world, as it wouldn't be through the WHS RWA page.

Ideally you want someone to create you a WHS2011 add-in that allows you to setup access controlled media libraries and then present that through the WHS RWA page.

yeh I basically want each user to have their own remote web connect page where it has their shared folders (which WHS 2011 does fine) but also just their media library in the streaming section (WHS 2011 just shares the server library not individual users :()

Associate
Yep, you can't do that through the default software. I think it's based on MS adopting DLNA for the streaming, which doesn't allow granular user access.

You'll need to look for other software that allows you to share the individual shares remotely. If you can find something for Windows 7 then you'll probably be able to use that, the problem as always will be how you allow the remote access to it securely.

Back
Top Bottom