***The Officially Official 'Rugby League in 2023' Thread***

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
There's a parallel universe where that try in Leigh's match with Wigan didn't get refused, and everything following was different. Hey ho.

Shame for that team, they've played out of their skins all year only to stutter right at the end. But a good showing by KR. Now to see what they can do against Wigan.

Soldato
All teams get dodgy decisions for them and against them right through the season, it all balances itself out in the end. Leigh paid the price for a very thin squad methinks. It had to catch up with them at some point.

Associate
.... and there's another parallel universe where the Wigan try doesn't get disallowed (I though they were both tries btw) :)

How was the Shorrocks send off in the CC SF worse than the Walmesley one yesterday? As Physichull says you just have to accept that they will balance themselves out

2 massive games coming up. Lets hope they are decided by moments of brilliance rather than disputed decisions. Today's NRL GF being the perfect example

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
On the whole 'the calls even themselves out' deal...we've drawn Chris bloody Kendall as ref for the Saints match.

We have won one match with Kendall in charge.

One.

I will be astounded (happy, but astounded) if we add to that tally on Friday night...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Meanwhile in the Championship the two teams contesting for promotion will be Toulouse and...*checks score today*...London?!?!

Didn't have Broncos beating Fev on my bingo card!

Soldato
Damn, Rovers just didn't turn up did they? Soundly beaten and the game was won by Wigan after 15 minutes sadly. Very disappointed we didn't make more of a contest of it and not really sure what went on in all honesty. Oh well, been a successful year anyway and gone close to silverware.

Some odd things happening right now at the club as we seem to have reneged on Rhys Kennedys deal and paid him off to then bring Jai Whitbread in (both quota players), which is a bit weird as Rhys was playing well in the end. Other weird stuff is that its rumoured Danny Maguire is on his way out or released or sacked, possibly because he was negotiating with Castleford whilst still on contract with Rovers. All rumours n all that, but definitely some disturbances happening.

Cas got a decent player on Milnes too, will do a good job for them.

In all honesty, I am happy Fev didn't get promoted, its simply not a good look that a team from a big village is in the top tier, I know that sounds awful but hmmmm!!

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, Rovers just didn't turn up did they? Soundly beaten and the game was won by Wigan after 15 minutes sadly. Very disappointed we didn't make more of a contest of it and not really sure what went on in all honesty. Oh well, been a successful year anyway and gone close to silverware.

Some odd things happening right now at the club as we seem to have reneged on Rhys Kennedys deal and paid him off to then bring Jai Whitbread in (both quota players), which is a bit weird as Rhys was playing well in the end. Other weird stuff is that its rumoured Danny Maguire is on his way out or released or sacked, possibly because he was negotiating with Castleford whilst still on contract with Rovers. All rumours n all that, but definitely some disturbances happening.

Cas got a decent player on Milnes too, will do a good job for them.

In all honesty, I am happy Fev didn't get promoted, its simply not a good look that a team from a big village is in the top tier, I know that sounds awful but hmmmm!!

Not turning up just happens unfortunately and it can happen to any team (I've seen Wigan 20+ points down in a GF after 30 minutes). I thought Ellis and Dupree were pretty good in that first 20 minutes and its a reilef that Ellis hasn't picked up yet another ban. Parcell has been a real nuisance every time Wigan have played HKR, but they kept him quiet by being dominant in the tackle.

I'm glad that one of either London or Toulouse are coming back up. Personally, I hope its London as I've had some good away weekends down there.

It just goes to show my extensive knowledge of the game when I said that French wasn't a stand off and he then went on to win the MoS :). He certainly isn't the classic No 6, but it just works with Smith moving the team around and him and Field playing off him. I can't see past Smith for the England No 7, but I was hoping to see Williams outside him. His one match ban has been doubled for making a 'frivolous' appeal and he will now miss the first 2 Tests. I just don't know what's going on at Warrington, but I couldn't see the Aussie disciplinary ruling any of their star players out for 2/3 of a Test series.

Been a nightmare getting tix for the GF. Even more annoying as there will be a lot of empty seats. Queued at Wigan for 2 hours last Sunday and came away without a ticket. The initial allocation was 8000 with priority for season ticket holders. The club allowed them to go on open sale. People were literally buying 50 tickets at once. Went home and bought a ticket from the RFL website (another joyless experience) as did many Wigan fans. The club then released 1000s more tickets late on Tuesday afternoon. Expect gaps in the Wigan end as their fans are scattered about the ground (Sir Alex Ferguson Stand for me).

Let's hope the game is decided by a moment of brilliance rather than a disputed decision.

Associate
Correct. Not only does it put him in a tricky position, it usually comes out worse for Wigan as he over compensates (Shorrocks send off in the CC SF). He lives within a mile of my house and Jack Smith literally lives at the bottom of my street.

Btw Billinge is border territory between Wigan and St Helens. He could be one of 'them' :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Refereeing pretty much as expected then. It has to be in a whole different postcode before a Wigan forward pass is called.

***edit***

History repeats itself. Two or three crap calls from the ref is enough to swing it. Wigan played their part brilliantly, no question. But  damn.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
What's with the forward motion from Catalans, it's what started my hatred for dirty Leeds?

:confused:

Meanwhile - Toulouse 14-4 up as I type this. Not wishing to put too much stock in fate or similar, but two years ago Catalans lost the Grand Final and Toulouse got promoted.

Perhaps a repeat is in the cards.

Associate
Going back to League? Let's hope so, it's the only way he'll get dropped from the England team. League seems to be more forgiving of head contact than Union too, so his tackle technique might fit in better!
Don't see where he would fit into the Wigan team tbh. He's not going to make 20 carries/40-50 tackles as a loose forward and he's not displacing either half back. He was a second row as a youngster, but he doesn't have the size or pace to play there now.

Back
Top Bottom