The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So individuals donated $836,212 to candidates in 2020. The max you can donate to a candidate is $2,800. So if we say that no one donated to more than one candidate, which is pretty hard to believe, that means 299 (rounded up) individuals donated. In December 2020 Twitter had 5500 employees. That isn't even remotely a case for and I quote.

Why not? Do you have some data that conflicts with that? Do you object to, for example, polling data because only a subset of people are polled? Not everyone is necessarily going to make a donation to a political pary, of those who are motivated to do so the split is quite stark, California is generally, broadly left-leaning but compare to say Oracle or IBM employees etc.. Or even to younger tech firms like google etc. All of these firms will have a big majority of dem donors, even Elon Musk is US liberal/on the left and is/was a democrat supporter.

Caporegime
99% are confirmed left at twitter, only 1% not...

Pretty much yes. Based on contributions data, anecdotes from someone who used to work there + anecdotes of the leaks/commentary online. Big tech is left-leaning in general, especially in California however twitter is well known to be especially so and also attracts some rather more hardcore progressive/woke types than the typical liberal at FB/Google thus the meltdown among some staff.

I suspect there will be a fair few in core Engineering roles though quietly unbothered as they're center-left liberal types who are kinda in line with Musk. On the other hand, a subset of the pink-haired UX designers and QA types and content moderation staff etc.. are the ones responsible for the "literally shaking and crying and throwing up" reactions re: the prospect of working for Musk. As though an outspoken centre left/not particularly woke person is somehow Donald Trump himself.

Soldato
Article, further discussing, whether deal will actually go through -
twitter stock price and shorting indicates market doesn't have high confidence in deal,
also he may have to sell more tesla stock to cover twitter purchase security if tesla price drops further, jeopardizing tesla shareholder confidence.

cheaper for him to walk away and buy it another day - would the the penalty monies be shared between all shareholders like a dividend.

Caporegime
It's not about censoring views, it's about censoring the insidious lies of the right. Views are fine.

Nah there are clear issues re: bias and needless censorship.

Things like the New York Post story re: Hunter Biden's laptop were particularly egregious and former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has since commented that it was a "total mistake", that sort of thing really ought to be addressed and Musk seems pretty keen to do that if his takeover goes through.

Soldato
Lol you don't see how silly you made yourself sound?

"censor views that are insidious lies"

And you think that must then mean everything on the right :cry:

You should really give the right a little more credit than that.

Who is deciding what is a lie and what isn't?

Caporegime
definitely not anyone that believes that 99% of twitter staff are lefties ;)

Given most of about 88% of the population are righties, i find it highly unlikely that all those lefties ended up working at twitter.

[citation needed]

Just to clarify which party is the current US president from? What was the breakdown of the popular vote? What is the current makeup of the House of Representatives?
Which party is the current governor of California from? Mayor of San Francisco? Breakdown of the popular vote in San Francisco where twitter HQ is located.

This notion that the pool of people twitter is recruiting from is 88% "righties" is just a flat-out unsupported lie... it's not even true re: the general population in the US let alone the subset of that population from which big tech firms draw their staff.

well given that one user said "censor right insidious lies", and then the next user said "that means censoring everything the right says", i felt the coherent argument went well out the window then.

And an even more silly user tried to claim that 99% of staff working at a company with 5500 employees, are left leaning.

you can't moan that coherent arguments aren't being had, when the argument is with those that try to pretend the world is flat, or that the sky isn't blue.

[citation needed]

The same evolutionary mechanisms should apply to participants of different geographical ancestries to maintain the roughly 1:10 ratio of left- versus right
Source: Papadatou-Pastou, M., Ntolka, E., Schmitz, J., Martin, M., Munafò, M. R., Ocklenburg, S., & Paracchini, S. (2020). Human handedness: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 146(6), 481–524. https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000229

Soldato
Why not? Do you have some data that conflicts with that? Do you object to, for example, polling data because only a subset of people are polled? Not everyone is necessarily going to make a donation to a political pary, of those who are motivated to do so the split is quite stark, California is generally, broadly left-leaning but compare to say Oracle or IBM employees etc.. Or even to younger tech firms like google etc. All of these firms will have a big majority of dem donors, even Elon Musk is US liberal/on the left and is/was a democrat supporter.

Pretty much yes. Based on contributions data, anecdotes from someone who used to work there + anecdotes of the leaks/commentary online. Big tech is left-leaning in general, especially in California however twitter is well known to be especially so and also attracts some rather more hardcore progressive/woke types than the typical liberal at FB/Google thus the meltdown among some staff.

I suspect there will be a fair few in core Engineering roles though quietly unbothered as they're center-left liberal types who are kinda in line with Musk. On the other hand, a subset of the pink-haired UX designers and QA types and content moderation staff etc.. are the ones responsible for the "literally shaking and crying and throwing up" reactions re: the prospect of working for Musk. As though an outspoken centre left/not particularly woke person is somehow Donald Trump himself.

You claimed 99% of 5500 employees are leftists. A bold statement you can't possibly back up. Now we see the beginning of a dowie hole because you've been called out on it. Here we go again :cry: :cry: You are nothing if not predictable dowie.

And Elon Musk is not a liberal Democrat. He donates to both parties and is now more of a right leaning libertarian.

Caporegime
You claimed 99% of 5500 employees are leftists. A bold statement you can't possibly back up. Now we see the beginning of a dowie hole because you've been called out on it. Here we go again :cry: :cry: You are nothing if not predictable dowie.

And Elon Musk is not a liberal Democrat. He donates to both parties and is now more of a right leaning libertarian.

You've quoted me without addressing the points made, I already backed up my claim. Are you intending to just throw in more inane replies as bait then claim this "dowie hole" you've predicted here has been generated?

Why not address the points if you're able to? Try constructing an argument?

Soldato
You say for years I've supported social media companies, and when they censor a view I feel should be censored, I'm a cheerleader for them.

Congrats Bowdon. Did you figure that out for yourself?

Also, did I read correctly, that you think, that I said, that I'm left wing? I want to be sure before I hold my sides, lean back, and laugh
The bolded part proves my point that you don't think it's wrong.

I think you're left wing because of your support for the Democrats. I'd never consider myself a Republican because they are too extreme. But you seem to be so in to the Dems at all cost, even simping to Kamala Harris.

But you are correct about one thing. I'll give you one point. You never actually say what you believe in. What do you believe in? Then we can see where you are politically. The current barometer seems to be stating your opinion on Elon Musk and his acquisition of Twitter, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom