The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never actually say what you believe in. What do you believe in? Then we can see where you are politically. The current barometer seems to be stating your opinion on Elon Musk and his acquisition of Twitter, good or bad
Lol you mean I never said that today?

My first post in this thread gave my views, just because you missed it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think my second or third post too was my view on whether this was a good idea or not.

Before bojo I support Conservative views generally so I'm naturally an american dem supporter, with some lib Dems and some Labour thrown in, though I've always voted lib Dems, I've been super happy with the Conservative government's until Bojo (again I said that like maybe 3/4 days ago, you missed it and then claim I don't give them)

Soldato
Lol you mean I never said that today?

My first post in this thread gave my views, just because you missed it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think my second or third post too was my view on whether this was a good idea or not.

Before bojo I support Conservative views generally so I'm naturally an american dem supporter, with some lib Dems and some Labour thrown in, though I've always voted lib Dems, I've been super happy with the Conservative government's until Bojo (again I said that like maybe 3/4 days ago, you missed it and then claim I don't give them)
Ok, I looked back manually through the thread as the thread tools either aren't working or the ability as been moved to somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you was saying in your first posts as you were replying to someone else.

But the post you mentioned Musk was incorrect. Twitter did have a named person, Jack Dorsey. He was the only one not to ban Trump when other social media sites did. He eventually capitulated to his own 'safety' board (the same ones that are now literally crying, its on audio recording, because Musk as taken over).

From the tweets from Musk, and backed up by Jack Dorsey, seem to want Twitter go to back to the original principles of the Internet. That you can say and do anything as long as Twitter are helpful in any lawful requests.

There is no requirement for Twitter to go beyond the law, and certainly no reason why they should be manipulating stories. They are abusing their own status because they are currently protected from being sued themselves because of their 230 status. They were given that status on the condition that they weren't going to make editorial decisions.

But the post you mentioned Musk was incorrect. Twitter did have a named person, Jack Dorsey.
I wasn't incorrect, you perhaps mistook what I meant.

Ask anyone on the street, who owns tesla. They know. Ask about Facebook. They know. Ask about twitter. They didn't know, but now they do, and now they have someone to blame as people love to do.

Having Elon as the face of twitter, in my view, is not a good thing. Not good for those in the left that don't like to see insidious lies spread on twitter, and not good on the right, that think this means anything goes and in the end it doesn't.

Soldato
Is everyone working at Twitter a lefty....

Though to be fair it's an easy job as the right lies constantly/it's the only way they survive.. Case in point, Trump, Republicans, Tories and Brexit. Constant lies.

Nearly everyone yes, like 99% are.

Data from political donations, it's one of the most skewed out of all tech firms. Obvs most of the California tech companies will lean left in general but for Twitter, it's a 99% 1% spilt.

Why not? Do you have some data that conflicts with that? Do you object to, for example, polling data because only a subset of people are polled? Not everyone is necessarily going to make a donation to a political pary, of those who are motivated to do so the split is quite stark, California is generally, broadly left-leaning but compare to say Oracle or IBM employees etc.. Or even to younger tech firms like google etc. All of these firms will have a big majority of dem donors, even Elon Musk is US liberal/on the left and is/was a democrat supporter.

Pretty much yes. Based on contributions data, anecdotes from someone who used to work there + anecdotes of the leaks/commentary online. Big tech is left-leaning in general, especially in California however twitter is well known to be especially so and also attracts some rather more hardcore progressive/woke types than the typical liberal at FB/Google thus the meltdown among some staff.

I suspect there will be a fair few in core Engineering roles though quietly unbothered as they're center-left liberal types who are kinda in line with Musk. On the other hand, a subset of the pink-haired UX designers and QA types and content moderation staff etc.. are the ones responsible for the "literally shaking and crying and throwing up" reactions re: the prospect of working for Musk. As though an outspoken centre left/not particularly woke person is somehow Donald Trump himself.

[citation needed]

Just to clarify which party is the current US president from? What was the breakdown of the popular vote? What is the current makeup of the House of Representatives?
Which party is the current governor of California from? Mayor of San Francisco? Breakdown of the popular vote in San Francisco where twitter HQ is located.

This notion that the pool of people twitter is recruiting from is 88% "righties" is just a flat-out unsupported lie... it's not even true re: the general population in the US let alone the subset of that population from which big tech firms draw their staff.

You've quoted me without addressing the points made, I already backed up my claim. Are you intending to just throw in more inane replies as bait then claim this "dowie hole" you've predicted here has been generated?

Why not address the points if you're able to? Try constructing an argument?

There you go dowie, all the posts. Now please show us where you've proved your statement that 99% of Twitter employees are leftists. It should be really easy to do because your statement is clear and so must have bullet proof evidence to back it up. Enlighten us please, no waffle, just evidence to prove your statement is factual.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Big tech is very much left leaning. I have no idea how many people have more conservative views in the industry because its somewhat dangerous to voice anything that doesn't fit the zeitgeist, especially in America where is much easier and quicker to get rid of people in a company.

I have heard of far too many "all hands on deck" meetings during things like BLMs peak and politically charged events that are basically "this is what we are doing and if you don't agree then you are a bigot and a nasty human". There is no room for dissent or differing or moderate opinions.

I imagine that if you went into other industries in the US it would be the polar opposite but they are usually a bit more "live and let live" if you disagree.

IMO both extremes are ******* nuts and have a very poor grounding in reality and both should be vehemently opposed. The main difference in my opinion is the type of damage they do and how they go about it.

Big tech is very much left leaning. I have no idea how many people have more conservative views in the industry because its somewhat dangerous to voice anything that doesn't fit the zeitgeist, especially in America where is much easier and quicker to get rid of people in a company.

I have heard of far too many "all hands on deck" meetings during things like BLMs peak and politically charged events that are basically "this is what we are doing and if you don't agree then you are a bigot and a nasty human". There is no room for dissent or differing or moderate opinions.

I imagine that if you went into other industries in the US it would be the polar opposite but they are usually a bit more "live and let live" if you disagree.

IMO both extremes are ******* nuts and have a very poor grounding in reality and both should be vehemently opposed. The main difference in my opinion is the type of damage they do and how they go about it.
Lovely anecdote that but that's all you've provided and hopefully you can see that it's fair to say that.

What happens now, is someone on hear repeats what you just said, and some poor sod on another forum is having to deal with hearsay based on nothing but some random anecdote provided in a forum, backed up by nothing.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lovely anecdote that but that's all you've provided and hopefully you can see that it's fair to say that.

What happens now, is someone on hear repeats what you just said, and some poor sod on another forum is having to deal with hearsay based on nothing but some random anecdote provided in a forum, backed up by nothing.

You will never get concrete evidence that will satisfy you on this issue because there is never going to be enough for you. You either have to believe people who are trustworthy or in some cases perhaps not, or you don't. Thats how much of the world works and you have to make your opinions based on what you know, what you hear and what you see.

I work in tech. I know people in some of these companies. People who I would consider liberal and a number of them have shared stories about these things. I trust them. I have heard the same stories on a lot of tech related media sites, reddit and other places.

Its not even up for debate as to whether big tech in the US is massively left wing. It is.

Soldato
There you go dowie, all the posts. Now please show us where you've proved your statement that 99% of Twitter employees are leftists. It should be really easy to do because your statement is clear and so must have bullet proof evidence to back it up. Enlighten us please, no waffle, just evidence to prove your statement is factual.
To be fair to @dowie, he didn’t claim there are all leftists he was replying to someone who asked if they were all lefty.

Now it may be splitting hairs, but as far as I’m concerned, there’s a difference between the two.

A leftist I would consider synonymous with woke/far-left whereas a lefty is just anyone on the left, from centre-left down.

Dowie even explains this in one of the posts you quoted:

I suspect there will be a fair few in core Engineering roles though quietly unbothered as they're center-left liberal types who are kinda in line with Musk. On the other hand, a subset of the pink-haired UX designers and QA types and content moderation staff etc.. are the ones responsible for the "literally shaking and crying and throwing up" reactions re: the prospect of working for Musk.

Soldato
I wasn't incorrect, you perhaps mistook what I meant.

Ask anyone on the street, who owns tesla. They know. Ask about Facebook. They know. Ask about twitter. They didn't know, but now they do, and now they have someone to blame as people love to do.

Having Elon as the face of twitter, in my view, is not a good thing. Not good for those in the left that don't like to see insidious lies spread on twitter, and not good on the right, that think this means anything goes and in the end it doesn't.
I think it depends who you ask on the street.

I suspect Musk will have a UK style free speech, which we don't fully have. But the speech we have is more counter-balanced than the US version.

I think our version is better. I don't think Americans really appreciate free speech because they have always had it. They think God give it to them.

Associate
Its not even up for debate as to whether big tech in the US is massively left wing. It is.
Democrat voter != Left wing

I work in Fin-tech in the USA and I'm a conservative voter in the UK. Most people I work with vote democrat are more right wing than me.

The far woke left still makes up a small minority in most US tech companies.

Soldato
To be fair to @dowie, he didn’t claim there are all leftists he was replying to someone who asked if they were all lefty.

Now it may be splitting hairs, but as far as I’m concerned, there’s a difference between the two.

A leftist I would consider synonymous with woke/far-left whereas a lefty is just anyone on the left, from centre-left down.

Dowie even explains this in one of the posts you quoted:

His own words

Nearly everyone yes, like 99% are.

It was a ridiculous statement to make and is impossible to prove.

No one is arguing that big tech employees tend to lean left. Maybe a more important question is why they do. And remember this is lean left by US standards which is probably right of the Tories.

Soldato
You will never get concrete evidence that will satisfy you on this issue because there is never going to be enough for you. You either have to believe people who are trustworthy or in some cases perhaps not, or you don't. Thats how much of the world works and you have to make your opinions based on what you know, what you hear and what you see.

I work in tech. I know people in some of these companies. People who I would consider liberal and a number of them have shared stories about these things. I trust them. I have heard the same stories on a lot of tech related media sites, reddit and other places.

Why do people call liberal left? The opposite of liberal is illiberal, so is illiberal right? Is that where we are now? Are those of you on the right happy to be called illiberal?

Caporegime
Even if they make verification 'optional', at least everyone "knows" that if you aren't verified your probably going to be a troll/bot/scammer/looney
or don't take twitter so seriously that you desperately want a blue tick.

I only use twitter to contact companies when I have issues with them, seems to be the preferred method of communication for them.

Soldato
His own words

It was a ridiculous statement to make and is impossible to prove.

No one is arguing that big tech employees tend to lean left. Maybe a more important question is why they do. And remember this is lean left by US standards which is probably right of the Tories.

Yes, he was saying 99% are “lefty” not “leftist” which is what you asked him to provide evidence for.

Now, I wouldn’t go so far as to state that 99% of Twitter staff lean left (in the context of the US Overton window) but I wouldn’t be surprised if a significant majority of them did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom