The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part is that Substack's not even big enough to qualify as a competitor. Twitter is already one of the smallest social media platforms available, and Substack far smaller, albeit with arguably superior monetisation.

It's not even a competitor even if it was as big as Twitter. They can exist next to each other perfectly fine. I have a few Substack subs which i pay a lot for, but it's a much more narrow vertical.
It would be impossible to get the traction on articles and news that Twitter does with a Substack equivalent. If you you're following say 100 people on Substack, each sub might range from $50 a year to $1000 a year. You get occasional free articles once in a while, but if you want the real stuff it can get very expensive paying for 20 different people.

Last edited:
He should, its daft. It'll just explode and become a bigger story than it actually is
It seems a poor decision when you realise that (based on what I've heard of substack in last 24 hours) those substack creators will be making money directly from substack, and only making views from twitter but no money directly, so if forced to pick one or the other, the choice is easy surely.

It seems a poor decision when you realise that (based on what I've heard of substack in last 24 hours) those substack creators will be making money directly from substack, and only making views from twitter but no money directly, so if forced to pick one or the other, the choice is easy surely.
Very poor decision indeed.

People making money from Substack will just wait and see what happens i imagine. Twitter is where you get the potential subscribers, so they will just find a work around. They don't need to pick one or the other, they can still have both and benefit from Twitter's reach. It just becomes a faff that you can't embed links to your Substack.

Musk has talked about trying to get Twitter competing with Substack, where journalists and creators can monetise directly with consumers. But they are nowhere near that with the platform yet. So it's seems petty in the short term at least. Unless Twitter have something up their sleeve which they've been keeping quiet, unlikely though

Last edited:
So is this Musk's blue tick plan v4 or v5 now?
I'm finding it hard to remember how many times he's done an about turn on unpaid verification now, and I wonder if someone finally got him to at least partially understand that the whole blue tick thing was never as a "clout" or "elite" thing for the users that got it, it was always primarily a way for twitter to protect itself against legal action (and was bought in when they failed to take action to stop imposters of some high profile people).

No way Obama is paying for that check mark. So Elon has caved and is handing out check marks to people because he knows he has no choice but is hiding it with the new description. We all knew it would end up here, well some of us did.

Obama already had a checkmark, it doesn't vanish for non-paying blue checkmarks unless the celebrity changes their username IIRC, all this has done is add additional info for people like him.

Obama already had a checkmark, it doesn't vanish for non-paying blue checkmarks unless the celebrity changes their username IIRC, all this has done is add additional info for people like him.
Yes you've posted how it now is.

You've very conveniently forgotten the last 6 months and I know you're not ignorant to what was going to happen given you posted plenty in this thread

Wait we were told that no one would keep their verification unless they paid, some exceptions for government etc. I can't see how Obama fits into any exception. Elon said they would be stripping legacy checkmarks by 15th April.

Absolute genius to trash the old *this is a genuine notable account* system for a subscription system thought up in 5 minutes, to crawl back to making another *this is a genuine notable account* system.

Masterful gambit, sir :)

We knew from a leak that 10k accounts weren't getting penalised because too big, is this going to be an additional layer of exceptions.

Wait we were told that no one would keep their verification unless they paid, some exceptions for government etc. I can't see how Obama fits into any exception. Elon said they would be stripping legacy checkmarks by 15th April.

Can you link to the claim you're referring to, please? Surely Obama counts no? Former Presidents in the US are afforded lifelong Secret Service protection and still play a role as diplomats when required.

No way Obama is paying for that check mark. So Elon has caved and is handing out check marks to people because he knows he has no choice but is hiding it with the new description. We all knew it would end up here, well some of us did.

How anyone can still support this guy is beyond me. He has clearly shown he is an idiot and eveytime he brings something out his cheerleaders lap it up and brush away any concerns. Then Musk backtracks and they act like he has done another genius move.

You would have to be either stupid or just very gullible to fall for his next trick. Have those guys not heard of the 'fool me once shame on you' principle yet?

Or just a fan of alt truth.

Last edited:
Can you link to the claim you're referring to, please? Surely Obama counts no? Former Presidents in the US are afforded lifelong Secret Service protection and still play a role as diplomats when required.

The post by Twitter Daily News is implying Obama has paid for an official organisation account which is why it says his personal account is an affiliate. They cost $1000 a month plus $50 for each affiliate. Government accounts are grey, not gold or blue. No way Obama is paying over $1050 a month for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom