The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't require zero hate speech, but do require the companies to have a system in place to respond to complaints, and in Germany a specific effort has to be made to stop stuff glorifying Nazis from being shown to anyone inside Germany or who has their location set to Germany. At the moment Twitter has accounts with people reciting Mein Kampf and is refusing to do anything about it.

Twitter used to have those systems in place, and it used to work pretty well, Facebook etc have such things in place and they work well enough to stop the it from becoming a legal issue.

Now can you tell me what has changed since Musk took over, fired almost all the non programming staff, and all the local staff in most of the world whose jobs were to understand what the local laws required and to follow them? (not to mention most/all the people who could speak those local languages, and were in named positions for legal contacts).

I know it's going to be hard to pin point what has changed in the last few months but give it a really good think and you might manage it.

These aren't new laws in most cases, they're laws that the likes of Twitter as it was went into the countries to do business with an understanding of what was required and processes in place to ensure at least the legally required minimum effort was put in place to follow them. So they weren't considered "too expensive" or "too hard" to follow given the amount of business that could be done in those countries.

Twitter had those teams and was 120 days away from bankruptcy, so they had to lay off a lot of those staff. Facebook and Instagram also had to layoff 10,000 staff. It's almost like there was some industry wide increase in running costs and decrease in advertisements that facilitated an urgent need to cut costs.

Last edited:
Twitter had those teams and was 120 days away from bankruptcy, so they had to lay off a lot of those staff.

Well, that was only after he saddled it with 1.5 billion of interest repayments and drastically reduced its income by scaring off the advertisers...

Facebook and Instagram also had to layoff 10,000 staff. It's almost like there was some industry wide increase in running costs and decrease in advertisements that facilitated an urgent need to cut costs.

Sure, but are they now potentially being sued for not complying with their legal obligations?

Well, that was only after he saddled it with 1.5 billion of interest repayments and drastically reduced its income by scaring off the advertisers...

Advertisers can be scared off by anything, they'll react out of abundance of caution, Elon is a polarising figure but Twitter isn't suddenly the wild west, and it was never going to be. If you're some guy who works marketing at Disney though you'd find it sensible to pull your advertising rather than risk your job in the event there's some giant negative PR story involving Twitter. Turns out not a lot has changed and most of the advertisers have returned, including Apple and Disney.

Sure, but are they now potentially being sued for not complying with their legal obligations?

No idea, I don't really care what Germanys hate speech laws are. Perhaps Germany should get over it's post WW2 guilt and stop being so pathetic.

Twitter had those teams and was 120 days away from bankruptcy, so they had to lay off a lot of those staff. Facebook and Instagram also had to layoff 10,000 staff. It's almost like there was some industry wide increase in running costs and decrease in advertisements that facilitated an urgent need to cut costs.
Disingenuous much

Twitter whilst loss making pre musk was nothing compared to post musk takeover.

The tech sector reduced headcounts since it was generally accepted it was the start of a much more painful economic cycle.
Some people call them good times jobs, or bad times belt tightening.
Generally tech reduced headcount 10-20%, Musk did more like 80%

Advertisers can be scared off by anything, they'll react out of abundance of caution, Elon is a polarising figure but Twitter isn't suddenly the wild west, and it was never going to be. If you're some guy who works marketing at Disney though you'd find it sensible to pull your advertising rather than risk your job in the event there's some giant negative PR story involving Twitter. Turns out not a lot has changed and most of the advertisers have returned, including Apple and Disney.

Well, the first priority of any business owner is to protect the financial stability of your company. So it's not a genius move to immediately scare off your revenue just after massively increasing its cost base is it, to the point it was going to potentially go bust in 4 months.

No idea, I don't really care what Germanys hate speech laws are. Perhaps Germany should get over it's post WW2 guilt and stop being so pathetic.

Hahaha, what a rridiculously childish answer. You might not care but you're not running a company that operates in that country and could potentially be sued for not being legally compliant.

I'm not sure there's anything worth responding to in all of those posts honestly. People still apparently don't understand that Twitter is being run as a platform for open debate, not as a platform that appeases advertisers. I think that's been a fundamental point that's been misunderstood for the entirety of this thread.

WHY DOESNT ELON JUST DO WHAT THE ADVERTISERS WANT HURRRR

Jfc

I'm not sure there's anything worth responding to in all of those posts honestly. People still apparently don't understand that Twitter is being run as a platform for open debate, not as a platform that appeases advertisers. I think that's been a fundamental point that's been misunderstood for the entirety of this thread.

Jfc

Did he do a cost benefit analysis on that?

Jfc

So when Musk was ranting about the advertisers leaving and threatening to name and shame them I assume you told him he should just let them go right?

Problem is Musk seems to want to set the rules and not pay for the service that others either see as diminished in value, or just too risky to fully engage with.

Its 100% up to him to set the rules (within countries where they operates laws of course) but he seems to want to be able to set the rules and not face any oversight, in the real world that is not going to happen.

I dont think anyone has misunderstood at all, in fact I would argue the majority of the posts demonstrate people recognise that as most seem to be about how Musk seems to be trying to force a round brick into a square hole.

He prepared enough questions to fill a 50 minute interview, he even asked about the Emerald mine which doesn't exist

You really should do comedy.

Not the emerald mine rubbish again. So is Musk a liar for saying it existed or it never existed. I have lost track.

Its easy to list out some questions ffs, I mean its basically what anyone with a few brain cells can do. Which is the real criticism of the reporter he didn't do any research and went in unprepared.

Last edited:
You really should do comedy.

Not the emerald mine rubbish again. So is Musk a liar for saying it existed or it never existed. I have lost track.

Its easy to list out some questions ffs, I mean its basically what anyone with a few brain cells can do. Which is the real criticism of the reporter he didn't do any research and went in unprepared.

And I suspect that was exactly what Musk wanted when he said he'd give a very rare interview, but only allowed what was it, an hour or so to prepare?
Normally a reporter would have at least a few days to prepare, or a bare minimum of a few hours and potentially the assistance of a number of other people to get ready for a "big" or unusual interview (and the likes of hard talk will have a team working for days), this seems to have been a relatively low level reporter who responded to a "scoop" and going into it completely unprepared.

I suspect Musk would have faired far worse against many of the more experienced BBC reporters, especially if they'd had even just a day to get ready.

And I suspect that was exactly what Musk wanted when he said he'd give a very rare interview, but only allowed what was it, an hour or so to prepare?
Normally a reporter would have at least a few days to prepare, or a bare minimum of a few hours and potentially the assistance of a number of other people to get ready for a "big" or unusual interview (and the likes of hard talk will have a team working for days), this seems to have been a relatively low level reporter who responded to a "scoop" and going into it completely unprepared.

I suspect Musk would have faired far worse against many of the more experienced BBC reporters, especially if they'd had even just a day to get ready.

It's a pity he'd be banned from SC on here, that would be an interesting thread to be involved in.

Why do the right always think that they're under attack by words (and ideas, and pronouns) then?

Ah you seem a bit confused

A certain demographic thinks they should be able to say what they want. Its when someone applies a lesser version back to them they get all uppity.

I have literally seen someone shout racist xenophobic drivel at someone and take massive offence to then being called a racist xenophobe, which was technically correct.

So when Musk was ranting about the advertisers leaving and threatening to name and shame them I assume you told him he should just let them go right?

Problem is Musk seems to want to set the rules and not pay for the service that others either see as diminished in value, or just too risky to fully engage with.

Its 100% up to him to set the rules (within countries where they operates laws of course) but he seems to want to be able to set the rules and not face any oversight, in the real world that is not going to happen.

I dont think anyone has misunderstood at all, in fact I would argue the majority of the posts demonstrate people recognise that as most seem to be about how Musk seems to be trying to force a round brick into a square hole.

No he doesn't, if you watched the interview he says they'll comply with laws in the countries they operate. You're just making things up. You do realise he's quite experienced in running businesses? Twitter isn't his first venture into the business world, he's actually quite successful

Last edited:
No he doesn't, if you watched the interview he says they'll comply with laws in the countries they operate. You're just making things up.

Again Roar, in the real world you don't take what people say as meaning they will actually do it. You verify it.
He demostratably is not doing so, see for example as discussed Germany.
He hasnt complied with employment law, with contract law, again demostratable fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom