The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old mate is in plenty of hot water right now, after admitting that Twitter has restricted certain content at the request of the Erdogan government during the presidential election. What content, you ask? Opposition content, of course.

Even worse, Musk has claimed his decision to implement government censorship on request was justified. This is not going down well with the punters.

Last edited:
Old mate is in plenty of hot water right now, after admitting that Twitter restricted certain content at the request of the Erdogan government for the duration of the presidential election. What content, you ask? Opposition content, of course.

Even worse, Musk has claimed his decision to implement government censorship on request was justified. This is not going down well with the punters.

Elon said Twitter has to comply with the law. The choice is pretty obvious in that he can comply with the request, or Turkey simply blocks Twitter. How is he in "hot water"? Lol.

I think the outrage would be best directed at Erdogan, preferably in the form of an uprising

Last edited:
Elon said Twitter has to comply with the law. The choice is pretty obvious in that he can comply with the request or Turkey blocks Twitter. How is he in "hot water"?

The ethical decision would be to refuse the request and allow Twitter to be throttled completely in Turkey until the election is over. This is not about complying with the law, there was no law involved here. It was simply an arbitrary request by the Turkish government to throttle opposition content. That is election interference, and Elon complied.

Musk is in hot water with Twitter users, especially those whom care about the free speech he claims to protect. This is particularly ironic, since Republicans claim that old Twitter committed election interference in 2020.

Last edited:
The ethical decision would be to refuse the request and allow Twitter to be throttled completely in Turkey until the election is over. This is not about complying with the law, there was no law involved here. It was simply an arbitrary request by the Turkish government to throttle opposition content. That is election interference, and Elon complied.

Musk is in hot water with Twitter users, especially those whom care about the free speech he claims to protect. This is particularly ironic, since Republicans claim that old Twitter committed election interference in 2020.

Exactly.

No surprise as our broke brain Elon shill fails yet again in his defence of the undefendable

Turkey doesn't have the first amendment to fall back on like the US does, Twitter in the US can actually refuse to comply and nothing can happen because of that, in Turkey Twitter can be blocked indefinitely which is obviously not good for anyone. I think you'd prefer to see Twitter damaged and you'd be happy for them to self sabotage, but Elon has to balance people being able to use the service.

I think the fact that Twitter made it public that it was forced to block Tweets in Turkey is good, unlike for example during the US election when these things happened behind close doors.

Elon said Twitter has to comply with the law. The choice is pretty obvious in that he can comply with the request, or Turkey simply blocks Twitter. How is he in "hot water"? Lol.

I think the outrage would be best directed at Erdogan, preferably in the form of an uprising

Elon could have had Twitter say the Turkish government was telling them to censor opposition politicians in the run up to the election and they have little choice but to agree or be blocked. And add that they don't think that this should happen in a democracy. It really isn't rocket science, their announcement was generic and lacked any detail or context.

I seem to remember some Musk fans being really, really upset at the idea that Twitter complied with actual legal requests from American law enforcement back before Musk took over, and how Twitter should just pull out of countries that didn't agree to totally free speech.

Now your just being pedantic.

Elon could have had Twitter say the Turkish government was telling them to censor opposition politicians in the run up to the election and they have little choice but to agree or be blocked. And add that they don't think that this should happen in a democracy. It really isn't rocket science, their announcement was generic and lacked any detail or context.

Yeah they should give more details, I agree. I suppose this is something Elon will get to grips with.

Those Elon tweets are so funny.

I should start using twitter and following Elon because he can come out with some gold.

I love the idea if the new ceo trying to deal with advertisers fears, telling them "twitter is a serious place for business. We are mature, and take our customer and users concerns seriously and with a professional manner"

5 minutes later Elon tweets "Did your brain fall out of your head, Yglesias?" :D

Old mate is in plenty of hot water right now, after admitting that Twitter has restricted certain content at the request of the Erdogan government during the presidential election. What content, you ask? Opposition content, of course.

This is such peak tier dumb I can't believe anyone follows this moron.

Under Dorsey, Twitter refused Erdogan's requests to throttle and censor users. Erdogan then blocked Twitter, so they went to court, and Twitter won.

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey’s telecoms authority lifted a two-week-old ban on Twitter on Thursday after the constitutional court ruled the block breached freedom of expression, an official in Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan’s office said.

Access to Twitter was blocked on March 21 in the run-up to local elections last Sunday to stem a stream of leaked wiretapped recordings of senior officials that had appeared on the site, prompting Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan to say he would “root out” the network.

Turkey’s Official Gazette on Thursday morning published the Constitutional Court’s ruling from Wednesday, further piling pressure on the telecoms authorities to lift the ban, which had faced widespread international condemnation.

Under 'free speech defender' Musk, Twitter does whatever Erdogan wants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom