The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but he did say Twitter must follow the law.
What law, that an American company must uphold, was Twitter breaking exactly that meant Twitter had to accept Erdoğan's request?

It isn't like he banned the Hunter Biden story though
Censoring information is censoring information although, iirc, it was Twitter's decision regarding Hunter Biden whereas Turkey's request was direct government interference - it's a bit of a difference.
As said, if governments can interfere with what's published to the platform then it goes directly against Musk's preach of free speech.

...people in Turkey must be pretty used to their government showing one sided information. I have friends in Turkey and they're using VPNs basically.
Unfortunately it happens all over with corrupt governments and regimes in power; blocking information at national levels isn't a new thing though, just look at Russia and China etc.

So if they're 'true' experts they get to go on TV but it appears you have no faith in TV media.

Makes it a bit tricky to meet your standards, no?

I expect no standards from today's general western media, it's a feral place, do you have faith in it generally?

But that's where the "true experts" seem to want their wares displayed and indirectly corroborated by association.

Last edited:
Seems like it's pretty much one side that's allowed to make constant personal attacks, Werewolf personally intervened when Chris asked what Tony_Edwards did for a job (spoiler alert: nothing).
LOL

I intervened because it had nothing to do with the topic and given the phrasing and previous history it was likely to result in going off topic for absolutely no point, and it's getting really tedious with threads constantly being derailed by the same people.

If they're true experts in their field the TV media will give them a platform that won't see them harangued by "nasty people". Lesser experts have to accept that wishing to media their thoughts and data involves some bi-directional discourse.

One slight caveat is the TV media do seem to have a very broad idea of what an "expert" is, given the dross they present both from and to their platform...

Just stop typing. You clearly have no idea what Twitter is or who uses it.

If they're true experts in their field the TV media will give them a platform that won't see them harangued by "nasty people". Lesser experts have to accept that wishing to media their thoughts and data involves some bi-directional discourse.

One slight caveat is the TV media do seem to have a very broad idea of what an "expert" is, given the dross they present both from and to their platform...
I expect no standards from today's general western media, it's a feral place, do you have faith in it generally?

But that's where the "true experts" seem to want their wares displayed and indirectly corroborated by association.

You say TV media will give them a platform but then say it's feral.

Abusive comments are now hidden, no at the bottom of replies, and you have to click to view them too. I'm honestly not sure what reasonable steps you want Twitter to take to moderate a platform with millions of tweets per day

No they aren't. You think people with paid for blue ticks have their posts buried? You are believing the hype again.

Oh I don't know, maybe not firing all the moderation teams? It was bad before Elon, do you think firing all the moderation teams has improved it?

You say TV media will give them a platform but then say it's feral.

Of course it's feral, they'll give anyone they consider an expert a slot, some may WELL be expert, but if they can't immediately find one then anyone claiming such will do.

Many look like they've been dragged screaming from their beds at noon and given an old jumper to put on. But on they come, a claim to expertise and a few quid sees them smirking away and spouting their spiel. Is everyone they stick a camera in front cited by them as "an expert" deserving of air time? Most seem to be from social media on day release.

No they aren't. You think people with paid for blue ticks have their posts buried? You are believing the hype again.

Oh I don't know, maybe not firing all the moderation teams? It was bad before Elon, do you think firing all the moderation teams has improved it?

How many posters does Twitter on average throughput a day? How many moderators would you like to see to ensure no one's feelings are hurt?

Is your answer practical and likely to be effective, and for what purpose?

Of course it's feral, they'll give anyone they consider an expert a slot, some may WELL be expert, but if they can't immediately find one then anyone claiming such will do.

Many look like they've been dragged screaming from their beds at noon and given an old jumper to put on. But on they come, a claim to expertise and a few quid sees them smirking away and spouting their spiel. Is everyone they stick a camera in front cited by them as "an expert" deserving of air time? Most seem to be from social media on day release.
You said 'true' experts will go on TV but now imply there are no 'true' experts on TV.

You're not making any sense.

"their side" - let's take a moment to think about how damaging and stupid this mind set is.
It's ironic that the same sort of people complaining about abuse are constantly harassing on here with snide remarks anytime they don't agree with someone.

And this was a reply to 200sols (that well known lefty on OCUK :cry: ) when he disagreed with Roars opinion
You couldn't make up how stupid the left are in this country, people like you are a danger to us all.

But hey guys, thinking in sides is a damaging and stupid mindset!

Anyway we all know why Roar makes comments like that

Not sure what your grounds for attacking my life are, but someone making those kinds of comments is definitely not a happy individual.

quod erat demonstrandum?

How many posters does Twitter on average throughput a day? How many moderators would you like to see to ensure no one's feelings are hurt?

Is your answer practical and likely to be effective, and for what purpose?

Around 500m a day. I've got zero idea how many are required to keep up with moderation requests but way more than they have now.

You again are making the argument for Twitter to be a free for all. If that happens he can kiss $43.5b goodbye because it would be the end of Twitter as it is now, it would become a better known Gab, which is likely worth way less than $100m. The userbase data would be worth a lot but that's it. There is a reason why the platforms that are a free for all have s tiny user base and make no money, I don't think you need me to explain why.

Around 500m a day. I've got zero idea how many are required to keep up with moderation requests but way more than they have now.

You again are making the argument for Twitter to be a free for all. If that happens he can kiss $43.5b goodbye because it would be the end of Twitter as it is now, it would become a better known Gab, which is likely worth way less than $100m. The userbase data would be worth a lot but that's it. There is a reason why the platforms that are a free for all have s tiny user base and make no money, I don't think you need me to explain why.

I'm off to the pub in a minute, but seriously, why the HELL do you chaps care if he loses all or any of his money? Twitter is a modern day frippery, it's loss is irrelevant to anything of tangible and real importance, in fact many would say a cull of social media would benefit our work ethos and general good will and harmony.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be in much state to continue later, so have a good evening and don't worry about Musk too much, it's highly doubtful he'll reciprocate the concern :)

I'm off to the pub in a minute, but seriously, why the HELL do you chaps care if he loses all or any of his money
The last 2 days has been nothing but laughs at the melt down from the right about the new ceo, and of course the casual sexism you throw in too and then cover up with continued purposeful weak sexist jokes.

It's odd as you never seem to tell roar to stop worrying about dadday Elon and get over everyone taking enjoyment from the latest Elon mess up.

Its only when Elon messes up that you tell everyone to stop looking.

I will need to pay a top scientist to figure out what that is.

Old mate has some questions to answer.

Conspiracy theorists on both sides of politics will have a field day with this. Personally I don't believe it's anything of consequence. They'll ask him about any dealings he's had with JPMorgan Chase Bank, and that'll be it. This is not about Epstein's own crimes. The headline is clickbait.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom