The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was just referencing a super villain from a comic book, most people don't know the religion of make comic book characters

Magneto back story is he grew up in Nazi Germany as a Jew, was sent to a concentration camp where his powers developed. He then later decided to turn on non mutants and use his powers to place mutants above non mutants.

George Soros was a Jewish child in Hungary when the Nazis invaded, Jewish children were made to give out slips of paper to Jews who were going to be deported to concentration camps, his family later managed to purchase Christian papers and he was hidden by a local official. He survived, came to England, managed to get a job in merchant banking and through that moved to the US where he made a fortune In the early 2000s he started funding some Democratic candidates but by far his his biggest donations are to progressive causes/charities.

The right for years has said he was a guard in a concentration camp/collaborator with the Nazis even though he was a child. There is a long list of anti semitic tropes thrown at him. Here though he is the mutant and his money/power is being used to place his people (progressives) above the non mutants (conservatives). Elon said in one of his tweets that Soros hates humanity. The right are lapping it up.

I've no idea what that even is

So you've managed to miss Twitter for the last few days? Patriot Front is a far right white nationalist and neo-fascist group that marched in DC and the right /alt right are claiming again that they are actually FBI agents and not a far right group. Its not Patriot Front's views that they don't like, they just think they are FBI agents pretending to be a far right group. Elon of course had to jump into this and throw his considerable weight and followers into this CT

Oh and the tweet I posted earlier where he questions the Las Vegas shooter, story which the right likes to claim was a false flag event by federal agents, of course you will likely claim this is all completely harmless fun. How could fanning the flames of this stuff possibly be a problem? He is essentially acting like Tucker Carlson or Alex Jones, all the while claiming he wants Twitter to be THE source of truth on the internet.

Last edited:
I've been working today, so apologies if this recent news on the BBC web site has been discussed earlier on here. Does it not appear that Mr. Musk, "alleged idiot" as he may be, has managed to set a precedent to be followed by other, presumably similarly afflicted "alleged idiots"?

"Facebook parent company Meta has begun rolling out a paid verification service in the UK.
Similar to Elon Musk's Twitter Blue, the service gives Facebook and Instagram users a blue tick from £9.99 per month.
Subscribers must be at least 18 years old and submit a government ID to qualify.
The feature is already available in the US, Australia and New Zealand.
People who registered interest in Meta Verified will receive a notification when it becomes available to them. It is rolling out to others in the UK in the coming weeks.
Those approved by Meta will get a verified badge, which the tech firm says will give them more protection from impersonation, in part because it will monitor their accounts to check for fakers.
It says verified users will also get "access to a real person" if they have any issue with their account."

I've been working today, so apologies if this recent news on the BBC web site has been discussed earlier on here. Does it not appear that Mr. Musk, "alleged idiot" as he may be, has managed to set a precedent to be followed by other, presumably similarly afflicted "alleged idiots"?

"Facebook parent company Meta has begun rolling out a paid verification service in the UK.
Similar to Elon Musk's Twitter Blue, the service gives Facebook and Instagram users a blue tick from £9.99 per month.
Subscribers must be at least 18 years old and submit a government ID to qualify.
People who registered interest in Meta Verified will receive a notification when it becomes available to them. It is rolling out to others in the UK in the coming weeks.
Those approved by Meta will get a verified badge, which the tech firm says will give them more protection from impersonation, in part because it will monitor their accounts to check for fakers.
It says verified users will also get "access to a real person" if they have any issue with their account."
Show me you have no idea if the last few months worth of posts, without saying it.

Have you rally struggled to read that much?

Remind me why the blue tick became the blue tick in the first place? And remind me why they decided to have the paid for service replacing the blue tick? Did you at least read that part? Would it help if we listed it out in bullet points?

No because this is a completely different thing requiring government ID so an actual verification process unlike twitter blue which is just a pointless tick that proves nothing other than you paid money to Elon!

Ah, OK, thanks, to someone on the very periphery of these places I appreciate the clarification.
Lol I have no concept of how anyone with even a passing interest couldn’t spot the obvious difference!

Why anyone on earth would be vain enough to pay this new Facebook subscription I have no idea, I’d go as far as saying anyone who is willing to pay similar money for Facebook verified status as they would for a Spotify subscription is a mug!

Last edited:
Show me you have no idea if the last few months worth of posts, without saying it.

Have you rally struggled to read that much?

Remind me why the blue tick became the blue tick in the first place? And remind me why they decided to have the paid for service replacing the blue tick? Did you at least read that part? Would it help if we listed it out in bullet points?

I don't have the time nor inclination to go into he minutiae of all this, it just appeared to be something similar that was being rolled out. Quite probably to others like myself with no strong like or dislike of how Twitter is being operated, this news may appear to be something similar <shrug>?

Last edited:

Seems kind of rubbish since it doesn't actually offer anything except a blue tick for £9.99 a month. Twitter blue at least gives additional quality of life improvements

I don't have the time nor inclination to go into he minutiae of all this, it just appeared to be something similar that was being rolled out. Quite probably to others like myself with no strong like or dislike of how Twitter is being operated, this news may appear to be something similar <shrug>?
Or you were making more of a point then you pretend you were, rather than just trying to understand the facts.
E.g
"alleged idiot"

similarly afflicted "alleged idiots"?

Yet you care enough to be an Elon simp.

If I called you a druggie would that make me your "simp"? What an awful expression, is it American?

I do love the way that he's getting personal satisfaction from his investment in Twitter and letting somewhat rip using his ultimate status there :)

It's always nice to see people who have worked hard and done well enjoy the fruits of their labour. I have too many successful friends who are totally introverted and boring, unable to go off piste in conversation or action. "Grey people". Musk is definitely not grey, nor boring :)

Last edited:
Seems kind of rubbish since it doesn't actually offer anything except a blue tick for £9.99 a month. Twitter blue at least gives additional quality of life improvements

Yawn.

It proves the person is who they say they are. Just like twitters blue tick used to do.
FWIW I think it would probably have suited twitter as well. But as we went over and over the blue tick didn't confirm anything when it became paid for.

Some people use facebook for professional services as well, so its completely reasonable that they would like a paid for service verifying they are who they say and not some scam artist trying to pretend to be them.

My issue with the Twitter blue tick was not that it was having to be paid for (that seemed a completely reasonable thing, even if it was always going to be a very hard sell, just like Meta are going to find it a hard sell). No the issue was for legit people it basically did nothing to confirm they were not scammers and hence the value of the blue tick vanished with the paid for service.
It was a valuable service that was free and became a very low value service when it started being charged for. Its really not hard to understand there were two factors at play here.

Yawn.

It proves the person is who they say they are. Just like twitters blue tick used to do.
FWIW I think it would probably have suited twitter as well. But as we went over and over the blue tick didn't confirm anything when it became paid for.

Some people use facebook for professional services as well, so its completely reasonable that they would like a paid for service verifying they are who they say and not some scam artist trying to pretend to be them.

My issue with the Twitter blue tick was not that it was having to be paid for (that seemed a completely reasonable thing, even if it was always going to be a very hard sell, just like Meta are going to find it a hard sell). No the issue was for legit people it basically did nothing to confirm they were not scammers and hence the value of the blue tick vanished with the paid for service.
It was a valuable service that was free and became a very low value service when it started being charged for. Its really not hard to understand there were two factors at play here.
Meta at least have the advantage that they are not trying to sell something they had already given to people for free!

Law enforcement arrested 31 members of a white nationalist organization known as the Patriot Front near a Pride event in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, on Saturday, on a charge of conspiracy to riot. The men were packed into a U-Haul truck and detained a short distance away from the gathering, which was being held at public park.

The men, who traveled from at least 10 outside states, are expected to be arraigned Monday on the misdemeanor count.

"It is clear to us based on the gear that the individuals had with them, the stuff they had in their possession and in the U-Haul with them, along with paperwork that was seized from them, that they came to riot downtown," said Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White.

Must have been placards and luggage straps. Open and shut to be fair. ;)

Last edited:
The blue tick is basically back to exactly how it was before Elon except you can now buy it. Blue ticks have been given back to accounts with way less than 1m followers. I saw a couple today just in the 200k bracket but they have their tick back but aren't paying.

Last edited:
The blue tick is basically back to exactly how it was before Elon except you can now buy it. Blue ticks have been given back to accounts with way less than 1m followers, I saw a couple today just in the 200k bracket but they have their tick back but aren't paying.
It’s not the same though if you can by it because it no longer verifies anything. Previously it was a verification that an account was the real celeb/organisation now it just means nothing except lonely weirdo’s can pay to have there replies more visible!

It’s not the same though if you can by it because it no longer verifies anything. Previously it was a verification that an account was the real celeb/organisation now it just means nothing except lonely weirdo’s can pay to have there replies more visible!
Yup classic blue tick on twitter was verification.

Current blue tick on twitter is basically congratulations you've managed to make a card payment (we won't ask too much about whose card you used, and you'll probably get away with it until the card holder queries the transaction).

Facebook blue tick is pretty much paid for traditional Twitter blue tick potentially with some added benefits at some point.

The utterly stupid thing about the twitter tick fiasco is that it was utterly predictable the issues changing a properly verified tick into a just pay of it one was, and how easy it could have been avoided by doing something as simple as giving paid for users a different colour (something musk finally started to grasp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom