The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realise Twitter is more popular than it has ever been? What is it you think you're seeing now?

You think limiting access and it running like crap is going to keep people coming back if they only had a look because its all over the news because its limiting access and running like crap? Wow maybe he's on to something! Car makers should limit their vehicles to 20mph and max 10 miles a day. It will be all over the news and from that I'm sure they'll sell millions!

:rolleyes:

You realise Twitter is more popular than it has ever been? What is it you think you're seeing now?
Define how you are using the word "popular" and define how the equates to prior to musks takeover and how it's being measured?

We know Twitter is about as popular as a Babe Ruth in a swimming pool with the advertisers since Musk took over and gutted it's safety and ad sales teams (and at the same time broke the advert controls so many companies were seeing their advertising budget on twitter spent on old stuff and no way to get it fixed*).
We know that Twitter is losing vast numbers of the "high value" content that used to be the pull for the average person.
We know that Twitter has lost large numbers of the "popular" users that used to draw in people and many more at actively looking to jump ship
We know that Twitter has made it much harder for non registered users to see anything, or for anyone who isn't logged in on their device.
We know that Twitter has driven off many large organisations for whom Twitter was an important tool (and thus also taking away a lot of the reasons many people signed up/used twitter). Everything from weather services to local news.

We also know that Musk has fiddled with the way Twitter is counting stuff and skewed it at the request of people he's trying to be popular with because when they don't get enough "views" it's obviously "the algorythm" not that they're about as popular as norovirus at a buffet for most people.
We know that Musk has removed most/all of the tools that anyone externally can use to monitor Twitter's performance.

Musk has demonstrated time and time again that he has no clue about what Twitter was, no idea of what people used Twitter for, and zero clue as to how and why it made what money it did and what the userbase will accept as changes to that.
Not to mention his great idea of trying to limit how you block the trolls and idiots, because those trolls and idiots are the ones that actually see a reason for paying $8 a month either because it's worth it for a scam, or because they want a bigger audience for their trolling (and then get upset when the general public won't interact with them, and would rather block them than ever see their junk again).

*One of the fastest ways to get advertisers to stop spending money on your platform, be it TV, radio, Print or the internet, is to waste their money by running the wrong advert and not correcting it/having anyone who can sort it out, especially when there are plenty more platforms on the web that might have similar reach or at least advertising controls that work and show what you've selected.

Gotta hand it to Elon, it's a great plan.

1) Over-pay for Twitter.
2) Claim that you're a free speech absolutist.
3) Claim to want to make Twitter a free speech zone.
4) Un-ban then re-ban a bunch of previous rule-breakers.
5) Stop paying operating bills.
6) Start paying some operating bills.
7) Start limiting engagement, when engagement is kind-of the raison d'être of the whole deal.
8) ???
9) Underpants!
10) Pancake?
11) No, just underpants.
12) ???
13) No profit at all!

My fave bit where he fired a guy whilst being ableist, not realising that his contract had a water tight redundancy clause because Twitter bought out and consumed said guys old company, and had to make a hilarious grovelling apology to get him to come back, all whilst his ex wife and children publicly disowned him and he tried simping for them to be blanked. Truly a pathetic man in many respects.

I don't use Twitter as a user account, but used to use it sparingly (IE, as in sometimes, I'd look at specific twitter feeds, or be redirected to one via an article/story etc)
Twitter because of official authenticity had a use, even to me.

Musk has broken Twitter, the guy's a chump with an army of ***** behind him.

Haven't used a bus or train in a while so I don't know but does First/Stagecoach or whatever still use twitter for updating people on service failures?

Define how you are using the word "popular" and define how the equates to prior to musks takeover and how it's being measured?

More people are using Twitter than ever. The platform is incredibly popular.

We know Twitter is about as popular as a Babe Ruth in a swimming pool with the advertisers since Musk took over and gutted it's safety and ad sales teams (and at the same time broke the advert controls so many companies were seeing their advertising budget on twitter spent on old stuff and no way to get it fixed*).

Elon said he spoke to Disney and Apple who both returned to the platform, this was right at the start and nothing has been said about advertisers since. Is there something new you've heard about that tells us advertisers are currently unhappy?

We know that Twitter is losing vast numbers of the "high value" content that used to be the pull for the average person.

There's no evidence of this. Do you have some examples?

We know that Twitter has lost large numbers of the "popular" users that used to draw in people and many more at actively looking to jump ship

Has it, who? Jumped ship to where?

We know that Twitter has made it much harder for non registered users to see anything, or for anyone who isn't logged in on their device.

Yes, you can just login for free though. This is the case for a lot of social media platforms.

We know that Twitter has driven off many large organisations for whom Twitter was an important tool (and thus also taking away a lot of the reasons many people signed up/used twitter). Everything from weather services to local news.

I don't know that at all. The BBC, Fox News, Sky, and (even) CNN are still on there.

We also know that Musk has fiddled with the way Twitter is counting stuff and skewed it at the request of people he's trying to be popular with because when they don't get enough "views" it's obviously "the algorythm" not that they're about as popular as norovirus at a buffet for most people.

Elon Musk actually released the source code for people to view and implemented changes that people suggested. Previously Twitter shadow banned users and they even recently dug up pieces of code that hid Tweets and made users less likely to be shown, etc. Literally the old Twitter did much worse, the old algorithm was brutal to a lot of people and treat people completely unfairly.

We know that Musk has removed most/all of the tools that anyone externally can use to monitor Twitter's performance.

Musk has demonstrated time and time again that he has no clue about what Twitter was, no idea of what people used Twitter for, and zero clue as to how and why it made what money it did and what the userbase will accept as changes to that.#

I think if he's saying that it peaked in user count last week, then likely the users are accepting of the changes he's made.

Not to mention his great idea of trying to limit how you block the trolls and idiots, because those trolls and idiots are the ones that actually see a reason for paying $8 a month either because it's worth it for a scam, or because they want a bigger audience for their trolling (and then get upset when the general public won't interact with them, and would rather block them than ever see their junk again).

I mean sure, there's still a block button though so I'm not sure how anyone is limited from blocking trolls and idiots.

*One of the fastest ways to get advertisers to stop spending money on your platform, be it TV, radio, Print or the internet, is to waste their money by running the wrong advert and not correcting it/having anyone who can sort it out, especially when there are plenty more platforms on the web that might have similar reach or at least advertising controls that work and show what you've selected.

I think a lot of this comes down to, and you've mentioned it a lot previously, is the fact that he had to get rid of a old people to bring the company back to profit. He wants Twitter to be a successful platform commercially while also allowing people to, for the most part, express opinions freely. Twitter was very bloated previously, given they have 20% of the staff and the platform still functions perfectly well for the vast majority of users I'd say he's doing fine. I don't think you know much about Twitter or Elons relationship with advertisers, it's pretty much guess work, but given he wants Twitter to be profitable I don't think he's running it quite as badly as you might imagine.

Last edited:
Imagine not being able to see two sides to every story.

DQVNaPf.jpg

Duterte got rid of all the drug dealers and Mussolini made the trains run on time

that tweets presumably also sarcastic that Musk has done some good, given the rate limit remark finale.
richest genius - there are many more poor ones ?

Old mate could have a new problem on his hands: 'Google decimates Twitter search results after Elon Musk imposes limits on reading tweets.'

Google has reportedly removed much of Twitter's links from its search results after the social network's owner Elon Musk announced reading tweets would be limited.

Search Engine Roundtable found that Google had removed 52% of Twitter links since the crackdown began last week. Twitter now blocks users who are not logged in and sets limits on reading tweets.

According to Barry Schwartz, Google reported 471 million Twitter URLs as of Friday. But by Monday morning, that number had plummeted to 227 million.

"For normal indexing of these Twitter URLs, it seems like these tweets are dropping out of the sky," Schwartz wrote.

Platformer reported last month that Twitter refused to pay its bill for Google Cloud services.

Nice to see a rich person finally facing consequences for not paying his bills.

Yeah loads of stuff from Twitter has disappeared off Google - I'm guessing as above largely due to it now being walled as that happens with most sites which operate similarly but it will significantly take traffic away from Twitter as a result.

Got to be honest I really hope Twitter crashes and burns over this, and serves as a warning to the rest (ironically Elon should get that reference), I'm so tired of stuff like this playing out and so many sites these days trying to use the stick to get people to use their half-arsed offerings instead of creating a compelling product people will want to use, sign in, pay for whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom