The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really shouldn't be surprising, unless you're some die-hard Elon fan who believes all his hype at face value or just someone who doesn't seem to know much about tech and scoffs at the idea of app stores having significant influence.

He can undo some of the previous "censorship"; (policy on specific topics like was covid a lab leak, the previous strict policing of trans topics etc..) and there was some aspects of political campaigns having a kind of hotline access to Twitter to flag up tweets. Those things are important, at least to the activist types focused on particular areas (thus caused some fallout from people who wanted certain stuff policed or didn't want certain figures to return).

But after all the hype about the site either collapsing within weeks or indeed being flooded with nazis it all seems to be just that; hype. For the typical Twitter user who isn't some political activist or hyperfocused on some specific culture war fight it's not likely changed a huge deal in terms of the content allowed and what you see day to day.

Last edited:
It's amazing that all these companies are pandering to the woke minority in the pursuit of profit.....

Or, alternatively, in the real world, if you're offended by the stance of these commercially focused companies and their marketing you may be the one whose views are in the minority.

Oh yeah, Disney is doing fantastic, their pandering to the woke is really sky rocketing their share price. Can't wait for the next ******* remake movie they put out with a recast diverse minority

Last edited:
Shouldn’t these companies be allowed to pick and choose where they advertise? Surely forcing them to give money to X is incompatible with free speech.

I think there's a culture at most companies these days that basically forces this weird progressive ideology on everyone who works there. Everyone is terrified of losing their job. For example how many of us have sat through talks about inclusivity that was completely irrelevant to us or that we disagreed with? Most of us I bet. Yet no one says, "I think this is a big pile of ****". Companies aren't organically choosing this, they're just scared of a bad news story which ultimately results in someone losing their job. Yet it's a tiny minority of people who actually want all this diversity ********, even most minorities don't want to be considered victims and given special treatment.

I think there's a culture at most companies these days that basically forces this weird progressive ideology on everyone who works there. Everyone is terrified of losing their job. For example how many of us have sat through talks about inclusivity that was completely irrelevant to us or that we disagreed with? Most of us I bet. Yet no one says, "I think this is a big pile of ****". Companies aren't organically choosing this, they're just scared of a bad news story which ultimately results in someone losing their job. Yet it's a tiny minority of people who actually want all this diversity ********, even most minorities don't want to be considered victims and given special treatment.

Based entirely on facts

Last edited:
Uhuh... sure.

Those 60+ year old billionaires who run all these companies are definitely raging progressives. Come on man, it's clearly a ploy to divide people.

Uhuh... sure.

Those 60+ year old billionaires who run all these companies are definitely raging progressives. Come on man, it's clearly a ploy to divide people.

Most companies are owned by share holders, not 60 year old billionaires. You're very focused on wealth inequality and billionaires, but that's not the case for most companies. The biggest share holder of Disney only owns 4% of the company, the biggest owner of Apple is a group that owns 7.6% of shares.

Yes I suppose so, but the problem with that is that few people own shares and those that do are hardly going to be in the 'making everyone a latinx lesbian' camp are they? A single cursory look at the wallstreet reddit or any stonks bro will tell you that.

Last edited:
Yes I suppose so, but the problem with that is that few people own shares and those that do are hardly going to be in the 'making everyone a latinx lesbian' camp are they? A single cursory look at the wallstreet reddit or any stonks bro will tell you that.

Quite the opposite and a frequent misunderstanding, most of us own shares via our pensions. Sharefholders like the wall street bets redditors don't have much sway over large corporate boards, big asset managers however do.

Those institutional investors/big asset managers in turn have DEI requirements, even the cost of borrowing can change based on a company's ESG score as some funds have hard requirements with respect to that re: what they can invest in.

This sort of cartoonish image some have of "shareholders" being some little group of rich old Tory type or reddit stock bros is quite far removed from reality.

(edit - this is not to lend support to any woke conspiracy stuff but rather to address that point, I shouldn't need to point that out as it's self-evident but since a previous post attracted some bizarre/unhinged stuff seemingly supposing I was arguing something in support of Elon then I guess clarifying what hasn't been said can be needed sometimes in GD too.)

Last edited:
Amazing how you guys believe everything on face value. Funny how it was the DNC smear machine aka "Media Matters" that "uncovered" the content. Any of you bother to read the tweets from the twitter developer which explained how they created fake accounts and posted inflamatory content, then constantly refresh the timeline until certain ads showed up?

They caught them manipulating, hence why Elon is taking them to court. But don't let facts get in the way of your weird obsession of speaking ill of Elon all day every day

Last edited:
I think there's a culture at most companies these days that basically forces this weird progressive ideology on everyone who works there. Everyone is terrified of losing their job. For example how many of us have sat through talks about inclusivity that was completely irrelevant to us or that we disagreed with?

I can’t say I ever have. I work in a regulated industry – so there’s a lot of mandatory training – but I can’t remember anything on D&I beyond “treat everyone with respect”. And isn’t that what D&I training boils down to? Treat everyone with respect.

The company I work for celebrates events like Black History Month and Pride - but it also celebrates World Pizza Day, Wimbledon and all kinds of other stuff as well. It just usually means a few decorations, a (totally optional) talk or two and some food. I don’t have a problem with any of it.

I work in tech in London though, so maybe it seems more relevant.

Amazing how you guys believe everything on face value. Funny how it was the DNC smear machine aka "Media Matters" that "uncovered" the content. Any of you bother to read the tweets from the twitter developer which explained how they created fake accounts and posted inflamatory content, then constantly refresh the timeline until certain ads showed up?

They caught them manipulating, hence why Elon is taking them to court..
Don't need anyone to uncover anything when Elon himself agrees with anti-Semitic content and boosts it for everyone to see because he's fabricated his metrics to be at the top of the pile.

960x0.png

This highly progressive group of inclusive diverse multi ethnic LGBTQ+ companies will surely defeat free speech

I do love how the right has seized on that episode when it is mocking them as well :cry:

They caught them manipulating, hence why Elon is taking them to court. But don't let facts get in the way of your weird obsession of speaking ill of Elon all day every day

He isn't taking anyone to court. He might file but it will get dropped as soon as discovery starts if it doesn't get thrown out by the judge long before that. And as was pointed out by a prominent 1st amendment lawyer over the weekend...

popehat-edit.png

Last edited:

What, you mean the people investigating ads on Xitter refreshed in order to see what ads came up? My God! How shocking! Thirteen times as many ads as a normal person sees in a day!? My God. Who'd have thought these investigative journalists, looking at what ads are shown on Xitter would do such a thing?

:rolleyes:

They caught them manipulating, hence why Elon is taking them to court.

Elon is threatening to take them to court because he's a petulant manbaby who doesn't like it when his actions have consequences. Whether he'll actually take it as far as being laughed out of court is doubtful. Elon saying he'll do something and actually doing something are wildly different things.

They created the fake accounts themselves; how's that bloody journalism, they created the hoax that has cost twitter millions in revenue!!! We're talking 50 out of 5,500,000,000 ad impressions in a day, which shows how good twitter's system is by not putting crap next to ads

Last edited:
Why do you trust Media Matters so implicitly then? You don't think screenshots can be faked? I mean this is brilliant for you guys as it gives you something to do I guess, as it just fuels your bizarre hatred of the man
Who said they trust media matters? Arr you OK? You're making stuff up.

Let's do as the image shows.

Show me the proof that anyone has said they trust media matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom