The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Posts only get removed when they upset Elon, if it's hatred that he supports then you're in the clear. The site is a cesspit these days.

I think Twitter is basically the same as it always was except people aren't getting banned because they offended the Disney HR department, although they are rather busy recasting Cinderella and Ariel as a pair of black lesbians

Caporegime
People were having a fit about it in the days, weeks immediately after the takeover when he hadn't even had time to change the moderation policy. Most of it is noise and he still hasn't made any huge changes there, outcry is more over specific personalities being allowed to return or being suspended.

In reality, twitter has to comply with both US law and things like Apple app store policies, Elon can posture a bit about free speech etc.. but there are obvious limits and that's not really changed.

Remember also supposedly the whole site was going to crash and be unworkable sometime last year too as so many critical staff had been fired and he didn't know what he was doing.

He's certainly screwed things with advertisers so does indeed have a big business issue to solve but in terms of the tech stuff that was hyperbole too.

Last edited:
Remember also supposedly the whole site was going to crash and be unworkable sometime last year too as so many critical staff had been fired and he didn't know what he was doing

What about it?

6wxrNA2.webp

vwuyGkP.png

1HNpv8x.png

sM6qRrF.png

V9n01LE.png

I1xi7oK.png

Last edited:
Soldato
however good luck with getting anything other than an automated "we're looking into this" followed an automated "we found no issue with the post you reported". The joys of letting most/all of the human moderators go, so the only moderation is now bots that barely function and rely purely on keywords.

People have largely given up on reporting posts on twitter from what I understand, there is zero consistency and stuff that blatantly breaks twitters own current published rules is fine.

Content moderation is incredibly expensive and human moderators aren't always particularly good at their job, they can be biased or just get decisions plainly wrong. Anyone sensible would move away from human moderators given AI can *mostly* do it better/cheaper/without bias and at scale.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah yes the 'ban all Nazis' prompt absolutely will not ban anyone who merely does the horrendous act of typing the word Nazi and it will be an AI utopia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What about it?

What about what? You're posting some negative app reviews in reply to a post about the site supposedly crashing and no longer being available and you think you're making some sort of point?

People were literally posting goodbye tweets and "follow me on mastadon @[some account name]" because they believed the whole site was going to die within days or weeks last year.

Caporegime
says it all

Says what? WTF does this have to do with the notion the whole thing would no longer be available and people saying their goodbyes?

Ya makes sense

:confused:

:cry::cry::cry:

There ya go boys. App Store polices. The final boss

You don't understand that Apple gets a say in what they'll allow policy-wise in their app store?

Or you don't understand how not being able to feature in the Apple app store (and/or the android one) would be devastating for twitter?

Do you understand why say 4Chan can't have an app?

To put it simply there are limits to what Apple and Google will accept, if you can't have your app in the app store then that's a huge issue; 80% of Twitter users access via their mobiles. Do you understand now?

Caporegime
I feel like dowie is on the cusp of realising something but can't quite get himself there.

I don't think you're really following much at all if you're confusing some salty app store reviews with the entire site/app no longer functioning or indeed Apple taking the decision to ban it!

Dlockers didn't seem to get quite how much of an impact app store policy can have either with his initial dismissal:

Ya makes sense

There ya go boys. App Store polices. The final boss

I mean sure he could run a web-only service but just think about if for a bit, how viable would that be in reality?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you're really following much at all if you're confusing some salty app store reviews with the entire site/app no longer functioning or indeed Apple taking the decision to ban it!

Dlockers didn't seem to get quite how much of an impact app store policy can have either with his initial dismissal:

I mean sure he could run a web-only service but just think about if for a bit, how viable would that be in reality?
Free speech absolutist but the undefeatable boss is apple app store policy. Got it.

Soldato
Caporegime
Free speech absolutist but the undefeatable boss is apple app store policy. Got it.

Where did I argue the first part?

Wait till you find out about payment providers too. Twitter or X doesn't exist in isolation, again if you want just a website then you'll have more leeway but as much as you want to dismiss it there are other obvious limits you were apparently not aware of and that includes app store policies (of google and apple).

That impacts the likes of Meta too for example, see the "free the nipple" campaign. It's not a risk Zuckerberg can easily take, if they end up having "too much" nsfw material visible to a large portion of users then they could get into trouble with app store policies, twitter manages this in part with the way they handle their feed and is quite good at keeping that (and more explicit) stuff away from regular users. But as far as meta is concerned it's the app store policies that are the reason behind it.

Strict guidelines limiting the content allowed on Apple’s App Store are a primary reason why Instagram censors pictures of female nipples, the company’s chief executive Kevin Systrom has admitted.

Elon went to meet Tim Cook in person to deescalate stuff re: his app store claims and Elon's belief it was at risk of being pulled, something Apple denied
Twitter owner Elon Musk said he went to Apple’s headquarters and met with Apple CEO Tim Cook in tweets on Wednesday.

The meeting marks a significant de-escalation days after Musk went on a tweet storm accusing Apple of threatening to pull the Twitter app from the App Store and posted then deleted a meme that suggested he would rather “go to war” than pay Apple’s 30% platform fees.

“Good conversation. Among other things, we resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store,” Musk tweeted. “Tim was clear that Apple never considered doing so.”

You can laugh at it all you like or treat it with sarcasm but the reality is that apple and google have a moat here re: mobile devices and other tech firms that want to exist on mobile devices need to abide by thier policies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom