The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
The fact you guys don't value having an online platform that allows free speech is honestly terrifying. You can very easily see how life is in China or North Korea where speech isn't free, yet people obsessively attack a man who is literally the only owner of a major online platform who has any intention of putting your rights before advertiser revenue. I can't even fathom the stupidity, it's Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Musk talks a big game on free speech but his actions doesn’t match his words. He’s fired many workers for speaking their mind, he’s block links to newspapers and rivals, he’s banned users who posted publicly available information about his private jet and he’s bowed down to pressure from authoritarian governments like China and India to ban users and content. Musk only cares about free speech for himself and his fans. As soon as free speech inconveniences him in any way, he’s shuts it down.

The only major platform that cares about free speech is actually Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a non-profit organisation that has riled up all kinds of governments and organisations by stating the truth.

Caporegime
Musk talks a big game on free speech but his actions doesn’t match his words. He’s fired many workers for speaking their mind, he’s block links to newspapers and rivals, he’s banned users who posted publicly available information about his private jet and he’s bowed down to pressure from authoritarian governments like China and India to ban users and content. Musk only cares about free speech for himself and his fans. As soon as free speech inconveniences him in any way, he’s shuts it down.

The only major platform that cares about free speech is actually Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a non-profit organisation that has riled up all kinds of governments and organisations by stating the truth.

Absolutely. He shows time and time again that he doesn't actually appreciate free speech at all. He just wants people to be able to say the things that he likes, but not the things he doesn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
What part of 'winning' involves losing so much advertising revenue that you're forced to cut travel expenses and beg your own staff for new ideas to make money?

Same way that being high on crack, blow and hookers made Charlie sheen think he's winning. Sometimes "winning" is really just losing + drugs

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seems like people are obsessed with his ego and wanting to see him fail for some reason, why do you think it even matters if Twitter is losing money when his other businesses are doing so well and he said he bought it to be a platform for free speech? Twitters losses aren't going to bankrupt him. The fact you guys don't value having an online platform that allows free speech is honestly terrifying.

Literally the only pro-free-speech thing Musk has done with Xitter is say he believes in free speech. The platform is a worse place for free speech than it was before he bought it - when it didn't have any free speech problem in the first place.

So, no, people don't value saying a thing. Why would you expect anyone to?

Soldato
If he genuinely cared about free speech, and like Roar87 claims, doesn't care about twitter being profitable, why did he go for a paid subscription model that prioritises the payees tweets?

Why do you think that isn't freedom of speech?

People seem to really struggle with this concept. Elon does want Twitter to make money - it isn't about "not caring", however that doesn't mean making money at any cost i.e. only having content that the advertisers approve of. Otherwise it would just be the same as every other platform, and he would run it in the same way the previous administration did. It honestly feels like a teacher having to tell a student the same thing 20 times and him just not getting it.

Musk talks a big game on free speech but his actions doesn’t match his words. He’s fired many workers for speaking their mind

Bring your company into disrepute isn't a free speech issue because there are appropriate channels to "speak your mind" without publicly slating your boss or company. I think if most of sat and Tweeted publicly negative things about our company we'd be fired. Did Elon Musk delete the Tweets? I'd suggest not. It doesn't mean there aren't consequences that a private company can instigate with it's employees. Next point.

he’s block links to newspapers and rivals

Twitter isn't forced to advertise it's competitors. You can mention competitors, you can criticise Twitter and say that users should go to another platform instead. Twitter isn't forced to link to that other platform though in the same way you can't advertise Youtube streams on Twitch. This is again fundamentally not really understanding free speech.

he’s banned users who posted publicly available information about his private jet

It isn't publicly available though, you need to source other information about the jet which he did. But also, you can't doxx people online, this is where free speech meets public safety; in the same way you can't shout "bomb" on an aeroplane and be covered by free speech laws in America, or tell someone to shoot someone else and be covered by free speech laws. These are well accepted limitations on free speech. They actually said they could track the location of the plane as long as they added in a delay, which was a reasonable compromise.

and he’s bowed down to pressure from authoritarian governments like China

Twitter doesn't operate in China
and India to ban users and content.

He literally has to operate Twitter under the laws of the country it's operating in, otherwise it

Musk only cares about free speech for himself and his fans.

No, you are allowed to criticise anyone on Twitter and make your political views known.

As soon as free speech inconveniences him in any way, he’s shuts it down.

Risks to personal safety or deliberately trying to financially damage someones company =/= inconvenience.

It's not really the same thing, I like Wikipedia but it isn't a social network. Also I don't expect Wikipedia to post the kinds of things we saw Wikileaks post.

Soldato
People seem to really struggle with this concept. Elon does want Twitter to make money - it isn't about "not caring", however that doesn't mean making money at any cost i.e. only having content that the advertisers approve of.
Would you say he is a profit absolutist then rather than a free speech absolutist? Maybe he got his tweet wrong.

however that doesn't mean making money at any cost i.e. only having content that the advertisers approve of.
just as long as google and apple approve of it, and it's not election time and the government don't want their citizens to be able to see any tweets in the run up in case it ruins their chances of winning. Free speech baby!!!

Soldato
What part of 'winning' involves losing so much advertising revenue that you're forced to cut travel expenses and beg your own staff for new ideas to make money?

To understand how he is winning you must first take your self respect and throw it in the bin. Then remove any processes of critical thought so you can just blindly accept everything he says as the truth, convince yourself you have a deep understanding of his inner thoughts and finally have an ever shifting set of goal posts* so you can deflect any specific criticism with your array of predetermined answers.

Then, and only then, will you understand how Elon reducing the worth and income stream of a company by over 50% in a year is classed as winning in business terms.

*Don't be concerned that they can be completely contadictory.

Permabanned
Bring your company into disrepute isn't a free speech issue because there are appropriate channels to "speak your mind" without publicly slating your boss or company. I think if most of sat and Tweeted publicly negative things about our company we'd be fired.

Just to be clear - Musk fired people for things that said on Twitter’s internal Slack. What they posted was fairly mild and constructive criticism.

Twitter doesn't operate in China

And yet the CCP have successfully lobbied for X to remove posts and ban users.

He literally has to operate Twitter under the laws of the country it's operating in

Maybe we’ve got different definitions of free speech. Free speech is when someone can say something without fear of being arrested and sanctioned by their government. Free speech is not about someone’s ability to post on social media without fear of criticism.

By allowing countries like India to censor its citizens, he’s going against every principle of free speech.

The problem he’s got is that he has other businesses that operate in countries where free speech is curtailed. Genuinely championing free speech will have an impact on his businesses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Elon doesn't even attempt to challenge these countries. How many court cases have we heard about where Twitter under Elon has challenged governments censorship in their courts? At least the old Twitter board did make such challenges, Elon seems happy to just do as they bid. In many cases helping that same government to hold on to power or oppress its citizens. Considering he's the worlds richest man he lacks any balls to stand up to such governments yet cries like a baby about supposed censorship in the US when we now know the Twitter Files to be 99% bull ****.

imagine elon buying a big town hall, and getting the whole town to come along, and then announcing that his town hall will be free speech for all.

the crowd goes wild and cheers. finally they think.

Someone in the crowd says "the room is too cold put the heating up"

Elon: "you're banned"

someone else "elon you suck, why did you fly on your private jet 50 times in the last week just to get groceries"

Elon "you're banned, straight to jail"

someone else "i work for the local paper and will report on this"

Elon "you're banned"

Local Mayer: "hi elon i need you to ban everyone next week from having free speech as i don't want them hearing about my crimes right before and election"

Elon "everyone you're banned next week"

Roar: "woo free speech baby!"

Last edited:
Caporegime
imagine elon buying a big town hall, and getting the whole town to come along, and then announcing that his town hall will be free speech for all.

the crowd goes wild and cheers. finally they think.

Someone in the crowd says "the room is too cold put the heating up"

Elon: "you're banned"

someone else "elon you suck, why did you fly on your private jet 50 times in the last week just to get groceries"

Elon "you're banned, straight to jail"

someone else "i work for the local paper and will report on this"

Elon "you're banned"

Local Mayer: "hi elon i need you to ban everyone next week from having free speech as i don't want them hearing about my crimes right before and election"

Elon "everyone you're banned next week"

Roar: "woo free speech baby!"
More like

"This town hall will have free speech for all"

Crowd goes wild

But if you pay $8 you get to stand on this box, with this megaphone and speak over everyone else who won't pay and drown them out.

Crowd goes silent - "Is that free speech?"

Soldato
More like

"This town hall will have free speech for all"

Crowd goes wild

But if you pay $8 you get to stand on this box, with this megaphone and speak over everyone else who won't pay and drown them out.

Crowd goes silent - "Is that free speech?"

This is like saying because Elon Musk has 150m+ followers he has "more free speech" than someone with 100 followers. Everyone has the same right to say as they want, it doesn't mean everyone has the same reach. How don't you get that? Free speech isn't equal reach.

Caporegime
This is like saying because Elon Musk has 150m+ followers he has "more free speech" than someone with 100 followers. Everyone has the same right to say as they want, it doesn't mean everyone has the same reach. How don't you get that? Free speech isn't equal reach.

Correct. So what has Musk done with Xitter than makes it more free speech?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Twitter now has a free speech policy, previously they didn't.

PpdaICN.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom