• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Opteron Skt 939 Overclocking thread !!!!

My 165 arrived today (S939 dual core 1.8ghz with 9x). After a little play it's currently running at 290x9 = 2.6ghz @1.475v. My motherboard is holding me back because whatever I set the HTT to in the BIOS CPU-Z never shows it above 290. It's a Gigabyte K8NXP SLI.

e.g. set it to 300 in the BIOS and on reboot it does show as 300. But CPU-Z never shows higher than 290. I'm assuming this is a motherboard limitation rather than CPU-Z?

Still happy though. I've "only" gone from a 240x10 Winchester to 290x9 gaining as "little" as 200mhz. But two important differences:

1) I've now got 1mb L2 cache per core:)
2) I've now got two cores :D

Last edited:
nice... first 165 report ive seen...
looks like they dont clock as well, but then again amd havent released a 2.8ghz one like the single cores, so looks like they are having probs etc :)

n1 hades :)

Goksly said:
nice... first 165 report ive seen...
looks like they dont clock as well, but then again amd havent released a 2.8ghz one like the single cores, so looks like they are having probs etc :)

n1 hades :)

I took a bit of a chance with it really. The price/performance ratio isn't anywhere near as good as the 144 and it's debatable whether a standard A64 X2 may be a better choice for the money. But I fancied seeing what they could do and found somewhere that could get them.

A few things I have noticed so far:

1) The memory controller is possibly not as good as I'd hoped. At HTT 290 I can't (yet!) get my PC4400 to run faster than 200mhz. But I'm not really an expert at overclocking so that may be my lack of ability. I'll play with it more when I have time.

2) It really doesn't like me putting my old PC3200 in with the PC4400 to get 2gb at any speed. Although to be fair I've not tried mixing them before so it may not be an issue with the 165 again.

3) This is worrying - I can't find the CPU multiplier setting in the BIOS now. I have to do some work in a minute (overnight implementation bah) so I can't really play with it anymore tonight. But I'm a little concerned that dual core Optys may be completely locked. It doesn't really affect me but it could others.

But...

Two 2.6ghz 1mb cores :D Lovin' it :)

EDIT: On a better clocking mobo I think this chip will go higher.

Last edited:
Hades I think your Gigabyte may be stopping you from üppushing it too much there mate. Gigabyte are rock solid, but not known for giving you barely any Vdimm, or reaching high HTT's.

As for the mixing of the memory for 2GB I would forget that... it
's probably a losing battle... maybe think about selling it all and buying 2GB (2x 1GB sticks) of decent, relatively low latency stuff that will let you divider away happily.

And yeah... 2.6Ghz is still nothing to sniff at... but at least you can be a bit sure there's more left in it.

What's the stepping on it? :)

Im currently using my 144 with My Neo 4 Diamond board, vcore fluctuates wildly, im unsure weather its the board or the Power supply, I hope its the board, the supply is a PC Power 510 SLi.

I have 3 of these Chips to test so may take a while before I get to the maximum o/c.
I’m going to try them on my DFi Sli-D board but it was never a good clocker from the moment I bought it.

Had the first chip up to 2.8Ghz Prime Stable, Vcore set to 1.55 in bios but reports as low as 1.43 by CPUZ and goes as high as 1.47.

Temps on watercooling haven’t gone over 40deg C

Interestingly enough iv found options in my Bios have also disappeared, I can’t force 1T in bios, and have to use A64 Tweaker.

I’m confident 2.9 Will be mine with a little work and perhaps more, as burn in seems to make a marked difference on these 144's.

My only concern is that the voltages these steppings seem to be taking are fairly high, and its unknown as yet how much these can take for a sustained period of time.

The markings on it are:

AMD Opteron
05A165 DAA6CD
CCBWE 0534SPMW
1316156H50101

And yes I'm pleased regardless of getting any higher :)

Smurfy said:
Im currently using my 144 with My Neo 4 Diamond board, vcore fluctuates wildly, im unsure weather its the board or the Power supply, I hope its the board, the supply is a PC Power 510 SLi.

I have 3 of these Chips to test so may take a while before I get to the maximum o/c.
I’m going to try them on my DFi Sli-D board but it was never a good clocker from the moment I bought it.

Had the first chip up to 2.8Ghz Prime Stable, Vcore set to 1.55 in bios but reports as low as 1.43 by CPUZ and goes as high as 1.47.

Temps on watercooling haven’t gone over 40deg C

Interestingly enough iv found options in my Bios have also disappeared, I can’t force 1T in bios, and have to use A64 Tweaker.

I’m confident 2.9 Will be mine with a little work and perhaps more, as burn in seems to make a marked difference on these 144's.

My only concern is that the voltages these steppings seem to be taking are fairly high, and its unknown as yet how much these can take for a sustained period of time.

The board has never been good at clocking? Err..is this not the new board from DFI ultimate most expensive SLI board? I was thinking of getting this on the basis that I couldnt buy any better. Would you advise to look elsewhere then?

sniper007 said:
The board has never been good at clocking? Err..is this not the new board from DFI ultimate most expensive SLI board? I was thinking of getting this on the basis that I couldnt buy any better. Would you advise to look elsewhere then?

Not sure about the SLI DFI mobo's but the Ultra-D clocks very well. No reason why the SLI should be worse though there identical motherboards only difference is on the nvidia northbridge which is only a connection between 2 of the small thingies on it.

Last edited:
DFi's boards are renowned for there great overclockability, when i say it was never a good clocker, im referring to my board only, compared to my MSi Neo 4 Diamond it simply wasnt as good, i didnt require the voltages the DFi offers and so i use my MSi board and the DFi got relegated to 2nd machine.

I belive it to be a problem with my board and not a problem with the series as they are highly reguarded as the best 939 board avilable, intend to purchase another although i may wait and get the DFi Expert board when its released ( 1 month or 2 away) instead.

So just to recap i belive the DFi to be the best choice for overclockers despite the diasspointing experience with my board.

ok guys, this where I am atm, got lectures this afternoon so I will let it burn in for another few hours, got SuperPI 32M stable at 325x9 so hopefully I will make my way to 3Ghz this afternoon...hehe

Back
Top Bottom