US: The Orville

Soldato
I liked the second episode a bit better mainly as nothing was spoiled with a trailer this time.

I dunno about the rest of you but I got the feeling this second episode was inspired by St tos episode the cage, with pike and the zoo bits mainly.

Soldato
Well I've gotten around to watching the two first episodes, and I'm a little confused as to what it's trying to be. It's too funny to be a serious sci-fi show. It's not funny enough to be a comedy or a spoof (I think I only laughed once in two episodes, though lots of lines and jokes are mildly amusing). Thank god there is no laughter track added. Production values are high, but a lot of it is deliberately fan-fiction design. It steals so many tropes and ideas from Trek, there's very little of it's own that's original. Though I'm a fan of Seth Macfarlane and Adrianene Palicki, I'm not sure they can carry the series or the running joke that they used to be married to each other.

I really want it to do well, but it's going to have to get it's act together and decide what it's going to be, and get some storylines going, because otherwise it's going to run out of steam pretty quickly.

Soldato
Ep3 was clearly trying to go for that philosophical style Star Trek had but it seemed to fall a bit flat.

Where they went wrong is that each episode in these shows tend to have a major plot and a minor plot in the background. They switch between the two so that you don't get bored. Ep3 not only got very preachy, but it stuck with the one plot, so it got pretty tiresome. While I liked the downbeat ending, it didn't really advance any overall storyline or character, had little humour and no action. Having said that, I only dipped into the start, intending to watch it later, and ended up watching the whole thing, but ultimately (ending excepted) I found it somewhat disappointing as they moved to the second half of the show.

I feel like I'm watching Tesco brand Trek.

Associate
this a tough one, it plays like it wants to take the micky then throws a little serious into the mix.

we have have a developing series that's throwing in some back story and preparing move way
forward with new characters.

I am just going to let it do its thing and go with the flow.

I also have a renewed interest in star trek so well done,

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Hmm... odd, I was carefully approaching with thumbs up and then this has gone from "am I a spoof, am I a comedy or am I a Babylon 5" to a single threaded "Oprah channel" socio-philosophical filler by episode three. Complete identity crisis. Also this time I felt it needs to be 30 minute show, when it gets... out there and weak, like in this episode, the length of it just amplifies the "sooo 15 years ago" terrible "convenience plot" writing

Soldato
I laughed at the jelly thing and the doctor but that's the only time I've laughed out loud in three episodes - it's not bad, it's just that it's not great either.

Soldato
Still finding this quite good, really think people need to stop trying to compare it to Star Trek ect, it's meant to be a comedy, not serious...

Soldato
Still finding this quite good, really think people need to stop trying to compare it to Star Trek ect, it's meant to be a comedy, not serious...

It's not really funny enough to be a comedy, and that last episode was very preachy and not at all humorous. I'd like it more if it could be funny or a spoof, or even if it could decide what it's trying to be. Still, it's early days yet, I'm willing to give it more time to find its feet.

Man of Honour

Ep 3 really didn't seem like a comedy. They want to tackle serious issues, yet be a comedy at the same time? Then it loses the serious vibe. Show really needs to pick something and stick with it.

Soldato
Well I haven not been able to take any of it seriously so far, it has not had me howling, but I did not think it was meant be a serious sort of thing. Think they could have got a better captain, if they want people to take it any other way, how can anyone one take Seth Macfarlane seriously :p, If he wanted to be in it, he should have found a different role

Last edited:
Soldato
Really enjoying The Orville now I stopped expecting to be a comedy.

Heard there was an "A" list Hollywood celebrity in the ep4, and I predicted it with my first guess.
Not hard if you know anything about Seth :D

PayDay Lover
Associate
Most spoof shows/movies go over the top and end up being terrible (Meet The Spartans, Scary Movie 2+...pretty much everything since Hot Shots) I think it is important that it finds a balance between the humour and a 'serious' show, one will hope it is more on the comedy side, but without a half decent plot and non funny bits, there would be no way the show could last more than a few episodes

Soldato
I think that the Orville is sci-fi .... with a little bit of humor

4 Episodes in and I am liking it, find it better than the 2 eps of Discovery that have been aired

Back
Top Bottom