• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Soldato
What's the best 1070 to buy to tide me over til Vega? Will be running it on a 1440p 144hz screen which is Freesync but obviously I lose that with Nvidia.

I want something that's fast and quiet out of the box with a decent warranty and hopefully decent resale value.

Zotac AMP Extreme Edition seems good, anything else? Would have considered EVGA but not now after that recent heat issue etc.

Will buy on Tuesday when the new Watchdogs 2 promo kicks in

If I had a GTX1070 now I would probably skip Vega and wait for Navi and Volta.

Soldato
Just overclocked my Hazro monitor to 96Hz playing BF4 at 1440p most settings on ultra 4xAA and getting frame rates well above 60 closer to 80/90 most of the time. Very impressed why I didn't think of it before! The fact these monitors don't have a lot of extra electronics in them has proven to be a bonus :)

Associate
Just overclocked my Hazro monitor to 96Hz playing BF4 at 1440p most settings on ultra 4xAA and getting frame rates well above 60 closer to 80/90 most of the time. Very impressed why I didn't think of it before! The fact these monitors don't have a lot of extra electronics in them has proven to be a bonus :)

what you can overclock the Hazros? How do you do that. Teach me sensei

Soldato

Have you tested it for frame skipping?

Soldato
what you can overclock the Hazros? How do you do that. Teach me sensei

I just used the Nvidia control panel, changed the resolution at the top then created a few custom resolutions. Tested 96Hz with no issues, 120Hz just black screened. I also went to my desktop afterwards and selected 96Hz as the resolution then fired up BF4.

As for frame skipping I have no idea. It all seems very smooth, no tearing and I'm doing a little better than usual and I'm well out of practice!

These monitors are pretty basic but the lack of a scaler etc. seems to resolve a lot of the issues other older IPS monitors have. Works great with a 1070.

Soldato
My 970 is still doing fine at 1200p, but of course I am looking at the 1070 adoringly.

One thing I have been disappointed with so far is that Vulkan and DX12 have been a completely no go in games that have supported them on my 970.

Vulkan was not smooth in Doom, but Open GL was, BF1 DX12 is a hitchy mess compared to DX11 etc....

Is this an Nvidia trend? Are you 1070 owners able to run Vulkan and DX12 (BF1) with no issues?

Soldato
The question is when is the best time to upgrade?

1080ti due when? January? That might drive down current prices a little?

Then the new AMD cads when they due?

Then Volta. When?

I can probably answer my own question here and say 'when you need to'. There aren't any games at the moment which at 1200p are giving me unacceptable performance on current hardware.

Back
Top Bottom