• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Soldato
I assume because people are still buying 1070s? its not like the game market where almost everyone only buys at release, I think hardware sales remain much steadier with a slow decline until the next model.

Scougar why you sell your card?

Soldato
Can I get an add please Kaap? :D

IMG_20160816_160710.jpg

RIP 1070, turned on PC this morning, didn't post, just an led briefly flickered on motherboard and nothing. Removed the 1070 and the PC fired up, RMA sorted (thanks OcUK) raided my parts bin and am currently running a 7600GT :(

Have had zero issues with it until today (13 months ownership), no signs it was about to die, just kaput. Was my first Nvidia card in a long time after having the last 8 or so AMD (with no issues)

Associate
I just killed my second gigabyte gtx 1070 mini :(

I have been mining in between gaming (I'm not one of the guys buying hundreds of cards!) and something about these little cards just can't seem to take it. RMA here we come... (not OCUK, the zotac 1070 mini card I got for my girlfriend from OCUK is doing just fine)

Soldato
I just killed my second gigabyte gtx 1070 mini :(

I have been mining in between gaming (I'm not one of the guys buying hundreds of cards!) and something about these little cards just can't seem to take it. RMA here we come... (not OCUK, the zotac 1070 mini card I got for my girlfriend from OCUK is doing just fine)

When you kill it through mining is it covered by warranty?

Associate
When you kill it through mining is it covered by warranty?

Certainly seems to be - I'm not doing anything that unusual on the face of it, just running a CUDA workload. I've run other nvidia cards for days at a time on other workloads in the past (google deepdream type stuff). I'm running it longer than usual, sure and with a slight overclock on the memory, but AFAICT it's all covered. Gigabyte aren't weird about overclocks or anything...

After the last one died I did go from a GHz+ VRAM overclock to about 400MHz. I guess I'll stop doing that too - I don't think the little backplate does much to cool the memory chips. And AFAICT there's no temperature monitoring on them.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
With built in dynamic OC, is there much to be gained from manual overclock? I guess it might depend on the card... my Asus OC seems to do a good job on its own, though others may not be as good.

Associate
Depends on the card and the workload. You can get around 15-20% gains in mining rate by overclocking the VRAM and underclocking the GPU. But then you kill the cardand you're down at least six months of mining with it, so you know, not really worth the bother! I have heard the gigabyte minis are a bad choice for this use.

Soldato
Got mine yesterday, was very surprised at the price (in a good way). Mine boosts to around 1900mhz too, way way above advertised speed. If I put my fan to a static 50% (which is inaudible for me) it hangs around 1950mhz. Very impressed so far. But to answer your question, GPU boost 3.0 works mainly based upon temperature. The lower your temps, the higher the mhz, so it pays to cool the card a bit more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5g9jo9/gpu_boost_30_how_it_works/ - a much more detailed explanation if you're interested

I didn't get it directly. I ordered one a couple of days before at £395, then they dropped it to £311 and I complained so they refunded me £85.

I know this is an old post, but you both got it around the same time from the same place.

If you haven't updated, could you check and tell me your bios version? Doing something unrelated, I noticed mine has 86.04.26.00.3E, which is a gaming X bios (sort of makes sense, quicksilver is just a gaming X with a z backplate), but is also quite old, before the micron fix. Latest version of mystic light won't use the rgb backlight, I'm wondering if quicksilver should have it's own and that's why and msi messed up.

Soldato
I know this is an old post, but you both got it around the same time from the same place.

If you haven't updated, could you check and tell me your bios version? Doing something unrelated, I noticed mine has 86.04.26.00.3E, which is a gaming X bios (sort of makes sense, quicksilver is just a gaming X with a z backplate), but is also quite old, before the micron fix. Latest version of mystic light won't use the rgb backlight, I'm wondering if quicksilver should have it's own and that's why and msi messed up.

My Quicksilver is 86.04.50.00.2A and is a QS specific bios (Micron fix), downloaded from MSI direct.

Soldato
My Quicksilver is 86.04.50.00.2A and is a QS specific bios (Micron fix), downloaded from MSI direct.

Same bios as in this review. http://www.overclockers.com/msi-gtx-1070-quick-silver-8g-video-card-review/

You updated to that yourself? it didn't ship with it? If so, I guess some/all didn't ship with the up to date bios and micron fix.

Just seemed a little odd to me to have such an old bios on the card. Card was all sealed correctly, so hasn't been tampered with, just seemed a little odd, but if that's how the release bios is, it's just how is is i guess.

Subsystem id is shown as 3302 on mine which is gaming X, not 330C like it the review. Even the bios here

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187308/msi-gtx1070-8192-161025 &
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187158/msi-gtx1070-8192-161024

Which are the same number show 330C for the quicksilver and 3302 for the X.

The X and quicksilver share the same pcb, but have different sub ids.

Review above seems to be the OC edition (can see oc on the label), but has the sub id 330C.

Did you get it from the rainforest or somewhere else? If not hopefully one of those who bought at the same time can come along and see if their sub id is the same.

Latest mystic light is not working for the back led, and the gaming X doesn't have that. Wonder if it's id wrongly (or msi used wrong pcb/early batch), so it won't give control because it an X would not have it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Both of mine are the same BIOS, only I haven't touched it from when I bought it. Both Sub Id 330C.

Both from Amazon when they were in stock at £380 for that short period? That's not good.

Mine was all sealed and everything was great, but with the latest mystic light, the rgb backlight can't be toggled. But I show 3302 which is gaming X id, not quicksilver.

Little concerned if that's the case. Old bios, wrong id. Everything was good though, box warranty sticker etc. But now with newer version, backlight does not work, gaming X would not have it. Possibly msi messed up, but down the road if I have problems a quicksilver id as a gaming X might cause warranty issues.

At least now still in the rainforest no fuss return period.

Others with a quicksilver, can you chime in, 330C or 3302 please, thanks.

Soldato
Yes both brand new sealed from Amazon when they were £395 (except like I said in the post, they dropped them to £311 for a day or so after I bought mine and Amazon refunded me the difference!)

I don't know what mystic light is or whether it works, I took the higher clocking one of them out of the mining rig and put it in my gaming rig, the other is still mining. Gaming rig one overclocks to +175 core and + A Gazillion on the memory and doesn't go over 55c, one of the craziest cards I've owned.

Soldato
Yes both brand new sealed from Amazon when they were £395 (except like I said in the post, they dropped them to £311 for a day or so after I bought mine and Amazon refunded me the difference!)

I don't know what mystic light is or whether it works, I took the higher clocking one of them out of the mining rig and put it in my gaming rig, the other is still mining. Gaming rig one overclocks to +175 core and + A Gazillion on the memory and doesn't go over 55c, one of the craziest cards I've owned.

Hi thanks. Mystic light is what controls the rgb functions. Gaming X has a normal backplate, quicksilver has the rgb one. In the latest version of it, for me, the controls for the backplate disapear and it's showing a picture of the gaming X, with the standard backplate, no light. 330C is quicksilver though and 3302 (mine) is gaming X. The app software used to id it as gaming X as well, but I thought nothing of it (same pcb as the X).

The lights the X has (side and standard) can be controlled, but not the backplate (exclusive to Z and quicksilver).

It was all sealed, warranty sticker in tact, but I can't use the latest software as it's not seeing it as a quicksilver.

I'm thinking probably best to return it (can't use part of it with newer software) and well I don't want problems down the line. If I have to return and it's id as a gaming X, not a quicksilver, I'm not sure that would play out well for me.

Thoughts anyone? Would you return? I can't afford another card if this one was to go and they turn around and moan about it iding as a an X and not a quicksilver.

I have a 5850 I can go back to and consoles to play. So can always go back and then wait for nvidia refresh. Not sure what to do :(.

Edit: Card won't go to the latest quicksilver bios, subsystem mismatch. So I guess msi messed up. Was definitely new, so back to rainforest i guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom