• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Associate
Picked up a strix 1070, moving from a strix 480 thanks to this mining craze. It may look exactly the same but the performance is greatly improved. Aside from that temps are much better, the 480 strix would hover up to the 74-76c after a while ( lower if I ramp up the fans but I prefer quiet ). the 1070 strix on the other hand, fans at 40% max and it never gets above 67c. cooler and quieter, cant ask for much more

Soldato
So just moved from a 290 to a 1070 quicksilver and I'm a little confused on the clockspeed in different modes. The 290 only had it's idle and load clocks.

According to MSI, the clock speeds are

Boost Clock / Base Clock / Memory Frequency
1797 MHz / 1607 MHz / 8108 MHz (OC Mode)
1771 MHz / 1582 MHz / 8008 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1683 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8008 MHz (Silent Mode)

The three modes seem to be toggled within the app. Without touching anything other than the led controls, when testing with firestrike, according to hwinfo64 & gpu-z are.
GPU clock 1936
Memory 2003
With a max temp of 67C.

Playing a game for a bit results in much the same. Not that I'm complaining, but why are the clocks higher than the boosts clocks listed and what's the point of the different modes then?

Associate
So just moved from a 290 to a 1070 quicksilver and I'm a little confused on the clockspeed in different modes. The 290 only had it's idle and load clocks.

According to MSI, the clock speeds are

Boost Clock / Base Clock / Memory Frequency
1797 MHz / 1607 MHz / 8108 MHz (OC Mode)
1771 MHz / 1582 MHz / 8008 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1683 MHz / 1506 MHz / 8008 MHz (Silent Mode)

The three modes seem to be toggled within the app. Without touching anything other than the led controls, when testing with firestrike, according to hwinfo64 & gpu-z are.
GPU clock 1936
Memory 2003
With a max temp of 67C.

Playing a game for a bit results in much the same. Not that I'm complaining, but why are the clocks higher than the boosts clocks listed and what's the point of the different modes then?

Did you get your quicksilver from the rainforest?

Associate
Yep. Bought it a few days ago.
Got mine yesterday, was very surprised at the price (in a good way). Mine boosts to around 1900mhz too, way way above advertised speed. If I put my fan to a static 50% (which is inaudible for me) it hangs around 1950mhz. Very impressed so far. But to answer your question, GPU boost 3.0 works mainly based upon temperature. The lower your temps, the higher the mhz, so it pays to cool the card a bit more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5g9jo9/gpu_boost_30_how_it_works/ - a much more detailed explanation if you're interested

Soldato
Got mine yesterday, was very surprised at the price (in a good way). Mine boosts to around 1900mhz too, way way above advertised speed. If I put my fan to a static 50% (which is inaudible for me) it hangs around 1950mhz. Very impressed so far. But to answer your question, GPU boost 3.0 works mainly based upon temperature. The lower your temps, the higher the mhz, so it pays to cool the card a bit more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5g9jo9/gpu_boost_30_how_it_works/ - a much more detailed explanation if you're interested

Thanks. That's nice, I'm lazy these days, so the card doing it automatically is a nice feature. So judging by that thread, really the only difference between profiles then is the base clock which it should never fall behind unless it thermally throttles. Doesn't seem much chance of that, really cool running. Been playing lots of Rocket league and it's been quite happy to boost to 1950ish and stay there with only 63C in that. Not really a demanding game, but I do play at high refresh. Think the fan was 40% or so. Still so quiet.

Rainforest being a bit cheeky now, see a deal posted elsewhere for same card, but prime only and it's gone up to £410, no where is safe from the price hikes :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I'm being dumb but I have an evga 1070 reference clocks but there custom cooler, where do I enable this gpu boost 3? I can't see it I'm nvidia settings and when I Google it people just tell me what it does. I need to turn it on I think?

Soldato
Voltage doesn't really make any difference on Pascal from my experience. I'd just start by leaving the TDP % at 100% and slowly increasing the core clock and testing, I don't think overclocking GPUs has ever been easier so you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Soldato
They don't say what they are playing, doesn't it depend what you are testing with as well & load on the card?

Just from testing mine, while it boosts to 1950 in 3dmark and rocket league, Sonic transformed, which is not demanding at all (a 5850 can max it) and has a cap of 60, the clock was not up as high, but the card was not even stretching it's legs.

So if they are playing something that's cpu limited, I would assume it would not boost as high.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's what I've done wrong I played mass effect last night, I was looking at initial page where it reports boost 1687, I noticed sensor tab last night and that clock reported over 1800, I'm still slightly confused as to why main tab reports 1687 though

Back
Top Bottom