• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Soldato
So would that mean after uninstalling old drivers that I should boot back in with HDMI in motherboard rather than new GPU?

No. After uninstalling the current drivers through appwiz, run DDU which will give you the option to reboot and run in safe mode. DDU will then give you the option to clean the drivers and shutdown. After doing so you can install your new card and when the computer boots up install the latest drivers.

Associate
Ok. Sounds easy enough even for me. I'm fine with putting things together but not great with actually operating it. Lol. I need things explained in layman's terms.

Associate
Hey guys is anybody having an issue where they can't see bios splash screen over hdmi? I only just realised today that it wasn't showing up when I needed to enter the bios, in the end I had to take the dvi cable from my other pc and had to disturb all my lovely cable-tied wiring and this seemed to solve the issue. Also I didn't see any obvious bios options to sort the issue apart from fast boot, I changed it but it didn't make a difference. It's a shame that I can only get freesync over hdmi, I don't want to have to keep connecting a dvi when I need the bios, weird issue

Associate
Not had that problem - when does it first start to display an image?

Could be you need a bios update or your CSM in bios is enabled when it should be disabled (or vice versa)

Most mobo manufacturers make a restart to uefi app or you can get to it once windows has booted by holding shift when you select restart computer in power menu

Giz

Associate
I've already tried the shift+power/shift+restart but the monitor just will not show the splash, the first thing that shows up is my windows login screen so it even skips the loading windows logo. I'll have a look at the bios, my board hasn't had an update since 03/2015 but I think I may be on the one before that. Not sure what csm is, I'll have a quick google

Associate
A question for those using multiple screens.. I have my PC connected via DP to my monitor and via HDMI to the TV. I currently have windows set so it only displays on my monitor when i use that and only on the TV when i'm on the sofa. The annoyance is that whenever i turn the TV on or off (or my AV receiver for that matter) my monitor flickers (presumably the graphics card switching to multi-display and then back to single display). Any way to stop it doing that?!

Soldato
A question for those using multiple screens.. I have my PC connected via DP to my monitor and via HDMI to the TV. I currently have windows set so it only displays on my monitor when i use that and only on the TV when i'm on the sofa. The annoyance is that whenever i turn the TV on or off (or my AV receiver for that matter) my monitor flickers (presumably the graphics card switching to multi-display and then back to single display). Any way to stop it doing that?!

No. It's the same when you disable or enable crossfire.

Soldato
I've already tried the shift+power/shift+restart but the monitor just will not show the splash, the first thing that shows up is my windows login screen so it even skips the loading windows logo. I'll have a look at the bios, my board hasn't had an update since 03/2015 but I think I may be on the one before that. Not sure what csm is, I'll have a quick google

Try a different port slot. I get that problem when the BIOS defaults to a certain DP port but the monitor is plugged into another. Basically the splash screen etc only shows up on the wrong port then when Windows boots it notices the monitor is plugged in another port so switches to that instead and it shows up. As to which port is the default... good luck with that.

Associate
No. After uninstalling the current drivers through appwiz, run DDU which will give you the option to reboot and run in safe mode. DDU will then give you the option to clean the drivers and shutdown. After doing so you can install your new card and when the computer boots up install the latest drivers.

New card in and installing new drivers now.

Thanks for the tip with ddu.

Only problem is the card is so big I had to move one of my SSD out the way. Now my old HDD can't get a cable to it as it doesn't have the length to go round the GPU. I will need to buy some sort of extender I suppose.

Associate
Fine.. that's really frustrating.. i may just disconnect the cable and only connect it when i intend to sit on the sofa.

Could you not just set it to a key combination such that when you want to have it display on the tv or the monitor you can just press the combination and it will switch? Should save any switching interference, unless i'm completely misunderstanding the issue =]

Associate
New card in and installing new drivers now.

Thanks for the tip with ddu.

Only problem is the card is so big I had to move one of my SSD out the way. Now my old HDD can't get a cable to it as it doesn't have the length to go round the GPU. I will need to buy some sort of extender I suppose.

First world problems i guess! I was rather taken aback when i unboxed my MSI 480, it's so wide! I am more than impressed with its performance though!

Associate
Try a different port slot. I get that problem when the BIOS defaults to a certain DP port but the monitor is plugged into another. Basically the splash screen etc only shows up on the wrong port then when Windows boots it notices the monitor is plugged in another port so switches to that instead and it shows up. As to which port is the default... good luck with that.

My monitor only accepts HDMI/DVI/VGA, I've tried all 3 now and it only shows up on DVI so looks like that's the default, I'm still yet to update my bios so will see hkw that turns out, I can't try the DP ports on the card due to monitor :(

Associate
Could you not just set it to a key combination such that when you want to have it display on the tv or the monitor you can just press the combination and it will switch? Should save any switching interference, unless i'm completely misunderstanding the issue =]

I already use the key combo Windows+P to switch between "PC Screen Only" and "Projector Only" (as it seems to present my TV).
The problem is:
Most of the time TV is off and PC is on. Fine and dandy.
If someone decides to switch TV on to watch something, or the A/V receiver to watch/listen to something, the PC screen will flicker (even though it's already set to display "PC Screen Only"). Presumably as the graphics card realises it now has 2 outputs.
If someone switches off the TV the same thing happens.

It's just annoying if you are in the middle of doing something on the PC.

Associate
I already use the key combo Windows+P to switch between "PC Screen Only" and "Projector Only" (as it seems to present my TV).
The problem is:
Most of the time TV is off and PC is on. Fine and dandy.
If someone decides to switch TV on to watch something, or the A/V receiver to watch/listen to something, the PC screen will flicker (even though it's already set to display "PC Screen Only"). Presumably as the graphics card realises it now has 2 outputs.
If someone switches off the TV the same thing happens.

It's just annoying if you are in the middle of doing something on the PC.

Ah i understand how you mean now, I can understand that would be rather annoying!

Is it possible to set the TV as always having a signal sent to it? If it's an extended desktop it shouldn't really impact your performance too much afaik, I have my second screen set similarly and get no flicker on the main when secondary is switched on or off.

Associate
maybe... tbh it may just be easier to just unplug it.. i only tend to use the TV when playing things like the lego games with family.
was looking for a quick win ;)

Back
Top Bottom