• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
Is that the steam fps counter? If so so you disable it in the steam settings --> in-game --> FPS counter off.

Associate
Isn't there supposed to be access to the newer bios(s) in the devil club?

Ah hah!

A comment from Powercolor on the devil club;
Our R&D team was being cautions about possible high RMA rates while use substantial higher Power limits.
As you might know, the power consumption increase is exponentially higher when it goes much above 1350Mhz and unlocked Power Limit.
(Warning! please use it carefully! ) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9HMk-E2fvNlQl84WjFBMmxtNEk

Associate
Is anyone able to explain how the min acoustic level and the minimum fan speed play nicely together in WattMan?

If I set the minimum fan to 1000rpm, does that mean I have to set the min acoustic level below that? Or doesn't it make a blind bit of difference?

Getting a straight answer on this is surprisingly difficult. From what I gather reading various articles, the setting determines the minimum clock speed the card can drop to during thermal throttling before the user's fan parameters can be ignored. Once the GPU boost clock hits that low point, it will run the fans as fast as necessary to control temps, even if you've told it to run them slower, rather than down-clock any further. Think of it as a minimum performance level you want to maintain even if it makes your card sound like a 747.

Soldato
Can that bios really get it that hot to the point of damage in Furmark? That seems a little odd. I mean, I know Furmark is the devil and all that, but still.

Soldato
So I got my xfx rx 480 gtr black couple of weeks back.

Here is some info if anybody is interested:

Stock voltage for stage 6 was 1.16 somehting and for stage 7 1.15 (I find it strange that stage 6 has higher voltage than 7).

At stock the card does not have a problem holding 1338 clock (I heard other cards are not as robust).

Temperature wise it stays just below 70c as stock target is 70c with fan below 2500rpm but in some instances the fan does go above 2500 and becomes audible, I do not really understand why it comes on so strong as the card then cools to 65 and never really goes above 72 at max for a minute and it starts revving up when the card is below 70. I just set target fan to 2250 instead of 3000 and fan noise is never a problem anymore and for normal gaming tempreratures are below 70 (It is running under-voltage for day to day gaming though)

I tried overclocking with 50% power and max voltages but it is not really stable past 1370. Quite disappointing that I can not achieve anything higher stable with max voltage and max power draw. As for memory anything above 2050 gives memory errors in hwinfo (at 2100 couple of them, nothing major and at 2200 thousands and then millions). 2200 and onward is unstable, 2250 immediate crash with max power and votlage, underclocking gpu clocks does not help memory overclock.

In terms of underclocking I managed to set stage 6 to 1.115 and stage 7 to 1.12 and that is the minimum it can go @ 1338, with memory at 0.925. Memory is stable-ish as far as 0.875 but I get couple of errors on hwinfo at that voltage.

All done on the most recent drivers.

Was expecting more of an overclock potential but solid temperatures and quiet once fan is adjusted, holds its clocks so I am happy with it.

Firestrike graphics score at stock is ~13,800
Timespy graphics scroe at stock is ~ 4,250

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom