***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Soldato
I think you have to be mad to run a big pond if you are on a water meter. Mine consumed tons of water per year. And if you aren't on a meter then they charge you extra per year for a pond.

I assume that's trickling of water through the pond to part exchange? The new pond should, once built, be using anoxic so in theory should gas off the nitrogen rather than end the nitrogen cycle at Nitrate that needs to then be either absorbed by plants (less likely) or removed by water exchange.

Permabanned
I assume that's trickling of water through the pond to part exchange? The new pond should, once built, be using anoxic so in theory should gas off the nitrogen rather than end the nitrogen cycle at Nitrate that needs to then be either absorbed by plants (less likely) or removed by water exchange.

In theory it should all support itself but in reality I needed water replacements reasonably often, which could be many tons of water. Also, there was a lot of evaporation in the summer. I was just looking at some water companies though and I can't find any additional charges. I know they used to have additional charges, but maybe they have dropped them now? I don't know.

Soldato
In theory it should all support itself but in reality I needed water replacements reasonably often, which could be many tons of water. Also, there was a lot of evaporation in the summer. I was just looking at some water companies though and I can't find any additional charges. I know they used to have additional charges, but maybe they have dropped them now? I don't know.

Water meter - you pay for your consumption, however if you have a pond you can have a second meter and then use that for pond use. If the water isn't going down the waste pipe, typically then you can have apply to have the second meter water rate only cover supply of water as they're not processing the water as waste.

However I don't use water changes and the pond seems happy with plants removing nitrogen (I specifically bought Irises, etc that all fix nitrogen. I'm also not heavily stocked but the original pond is now too small hence the new pond build.

Permabanned
Water meter - you pay for your consumption, however if you have a pond you can have a second meter and then use that for pond use. If the water isn't going down the waste pipe, typically then you can have apply to have the second meter water rate only cover supply of water as they're not processing the water as waste.

However I don't use water changes and the pond seems happy with plants removing nitrogen (I specifically bought Irises, etc that all fix nitrogen. I'm also not heavily stocked but the original pond is now too small hence the new pond build.

I did make a mistake with mine in that I didn't plan for enough plants. Mine mostly got too deep too fast which is less than ideal for the plants.

Associate
I have inherited a pond and this filter, it doesn't look right to me as the water not spreading over the foam filter evenly. There are 3 foam mates and 3 baskets underneath full of lava rock.

Anyone know the system cannot find anything on the Web.

6Z3Htov.jpg

Soldato
I have inherited a pond and this filter, it doesn't look right to me as the water not spreading over the foam filter evenly. There are 3 foam mates and 3 baskets underneath full of lava rock.

Anyone know the system cannot find anything on the Web.

6Z3Htov.jpg

I was about to say that looks like a DIY special but the weir is fitted so.

It looks like that there's a weir (white bit) that the water overflows across the filter media and then out. Does it move up and down freely? If so then it's there to limit the flow rate over the filter material. Also is there plastic balls underneath?

Associate
I was about to say that looks like a DIY special but the weir is fitted so.

It looks like that there's a weir (white bit) that the water overflows across the filter media and then out. Does it move up and down freely? If so then it's there to limit the flow rate over the filter material. Also is there plastic balls underneath?

The white connector looks like it’s been added as it connects to a water butt fed from the gutter down pipe, most likely as a top up for the pond it’s self.

There is a lid with a raised section over the weir housing a UV light, and there are three baskets under the foam that connect into each other though the handles, with makes me believe it’s purchased product.

At present the baskets have sone amounts of small rocks like Lara rock but are white.

The outlet has two pipes that are mounted in a bespoke fitting at the bottom weir inlet side.

It would be ok in my eyes if it had a sprinkle bar and not a weir so the media had an even coverage, which would make it more like a trickle filter through the sponge then bio though the rocks.

I will add more bio material and see how it fares I suppose and if it doesn’t then modify the weir to a sprinkle setup?

Associate
Only had the property a week so lots of work, not disturbing the pond as its going to have babies.

There are loads of fish up to an inch in length which a dark in colour I presumed gold fish but not seen anything bigger yet to spawn them.

AoyA2qQ.jpg

gcTyXxf.jpg

bu2HEYa.jpg

BF84kZy.jpg

Soldato
Hmm the frogs don't have a way of getting out (a ramp that goes from the pond to the surface.

The number of pipes has me thinking there's two pumps in the water and a lot of filtering.

The way to think about filters:

Pond with no fish = simple filter
Pond with gold fish = simple filter x2
Pond with koi = at least 4x that filter and probably even then it's not enough!

Yep, the pond looks ok - keep an eye on the water level but it's circulating which is good enough (if there's fish they've survived!).

Soldato
This year's fish food order arrived today:
5Kg of Medikoi Health
3Kg of Medikoi Wheatgerm & garlic.

I'm mixing the two across the seasons, but the fish are ok at the moment but they have been rummaging around in the floor looking so I've given them a couple of handfuls as the temps have warmed up a little over the last week or so. That will be it for another week or the filter will get overloaded until it's caught up.

Associate
Have had some artificial grass given me a couple of years ago and with the frogs spawning thought I'd better do something with the pond. After a few hours today just getting an idea for a quick fix.

zqBqUfB.jpg

NFggZ5Y.jpg

KxTLihj.jpg

Have sandstone to make rockery by pipe inlets and some very large Hosta's to plant around. There's a nice shelf all the way around inside to plant up as well and lay and patch grass better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've been trying to get pond contractors interested in finishing my pond.. one quoted 8K and gave me a 4 line quote.. no mention of fish safe top coat and when asked to define further decided he wasn't available until late June.. another gave me a quote of 1K upfront for design work and then 35K as a ballpark figure on top..

Now talking to another guy that seemed interested but most are 'we'll contact you' but don't. So looks like I'm back to finishing the thing myself over this summer, using my own vacation time

Seems that all the contractors have a glut of work caused by people not being able to spend going out and wanting their gardens done. Also seems like materials shortages are hitting the trade too.

Anyways.. once the sub-5degC night temps are gone I can get on with the bonding of the plumbing.

Associate
Starting to get some results now, sludge buster added today as its a problem at the shallow end the deep end has pump there so guess the filters taken most of it. Course foam filter layer needs a quick clean very two days.

Had a little time to tidy garden but needs plenty of work. The inside pic though a window will be 3 bi-folding doors soon which will outlook directly over the pond.

So far seen 3 large comets and around 30+ small inch plus fish, added great pond and Ramshorn snails as well. Replanted lilies into 6 baskets and now looking for marginal planting.

krI9GQH.jpg

drEyFI7.jpg

Soldato
So restarted the work on the pond build after stopping in October time, now I have an interested builder todo the slab and blockwork (also a koi pond owner). Only issue is the concrete/block shortages but we should be at least able to get a pour and first blocks done. I also need to get the final trim digging done.

pw0f8sI.jpg

As advised... getting proper with the outer wall marking - stakes, screws and string. everything else seems to wash off/move or disappear. This will mark out the top of the wall completely level (including into the garage where the drum will be).
This evening the bee ladened hawthorn gets a hair cut allowing the additional marking. Tomorrow I finish the wall outlines and start the final cut out.

Associate
Nice fish there NickK looking forward to build.

Had a little visitor today, the wildlife is moving in slowly. Purchased 20 green Damselfly nymphs of eBay a few weeks back seen one today. Few more marginal baskets to plant then I'm done, seem to have spent a fortune on this little pond :)

tDEdsWa.jpg

Soldato
Having a look around the thread, this is our new micro pond collection down the garden, small with driftwood waterfall, medium, large (relativly, I've seen your ponds!!)
Main reason was a pond behind a derilict building drying up so we took on the tadpoles and some of the moss.
Very low budget but very relaxing, have birds coming to it and aquatic insects
Couple of cheapo solar pumps there for
waterfall and a dripper thingy
Constantly evolving tbh at pic is before a slight size mod and still cloudy
Screenshot-20210609-072547-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

IMG-20210609-063150.jpg

IMG-20210609-063053.jpg

Screenshot-20210529-081244-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

IMG-20210609-063110.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom