***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Soldato
Well 7,500 litres so far on the fill and in the next 10 mins will start touching the bottom of the window glass. I stopped the fill over night as I want to see the water and the window..

What is good is if there's a problem with the window resulting in a catastrophic event.. there will still be 7,500l of water for the fish to sit in.

Soldato
End of the fill today..

10200 litres.. so I think I have a good 2000-3000 litres to go not including filter or pipes.

xvjOa7v.jpg

Associate
Pond update:
Been cycling 20% of the pond water daily to get everything back under control.
All levels now 'good', so just a matter of maintaining.
Adding small amounts of bicarb daily now has the PH stable between 8-8.5
Fish look a lot happier and water crystal clear again.

Main thing I have noticed is the fish are a lot more active now, swimming around the pond a lot more rather than sat stationary.
Water temp has risen slightly to 8 degrees though, so that is probably why (mild weather for this time of year).

Soldato
Pond update:
Been cycling 20% of the pond water daily to get everything back under control.
All levels now 'good', so just a matter of maintaining.
Adding small amounts of bicarb daily now has the PH stable between 8-8.5
Fish look a lot happier and water crystal clear again.

Main thing I have noticed is the fish are a lot more active now, swimming around the pond a lot more rather than sat stationary.
Water temp has risen slightly to 8 degrees though, so that is probably why (mild weather for this time of year).

That’s good news. I agree the warming up has probably got them searching for food. A bit of wheatgerm should keep them going without causing a problem.

Associate
My PH is sitting consistently at 8.5 now.
I have reduced the bicarb to every 2nd day and it is still at that level.
Will keep monitoring weekly and if it starts to dip again I will do the bicarb daily.

Associate
Just done a full water test this morning, the water is now far better than when I was having issues and the fish all seem fine now:
PH:8 / Ammonia: 0.1 / Nitrite:0 / Nitrate:5 / KH:7 / GH:12

Is the high GH going to cause any problems? What do I need to do to bring it down?

Thanks

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just done a full water test this morning, the water is now far better than when I was having issues and the fish all seem fine now:
PH:8 / Ammonia: 0.1 / Nitrite:0 / Nitrate:5 / KH:7 / GH:12

Is the high GH going to cause any problems? What do I need to do to bring it down?

Thanks

Its fine. GH is only something you need to watch if you are producing and growing award winning koi.

But those values are 100x better than they were.

Just work out your bicarb dose interval to keep things stable and you'll have a happy pond forever more.

Back
Top Bottom