***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Soldato
Tested the chlorine level in the new pond a couple of days ago - zero. Both at the top and bottom of the pond. It's getting very close to being "commissioned". I was putting the final air piping together today, still have one more then the air is connected up and the pond will run.

I did have an idea to put some of green tench into the pond to kick start the process. I also need to seed some water over from the old pond too.

Soldato
Air started for the first time..

When fully filled, the air lift output will be below water level. At the moment it's just above it when it's not running - so the airlift is working against a lot of water and has sucked the water down in the left side chamber. Once the water level is at the right level it will work even better :) Just need to clean the returns (drained but want to rinse them), and fit the filter ready to move the old pond water and fish over. The idea is to try to keep some of the additional wild life (in the left chamber):

Um6eU0e.jpg

I still have some work todo but it's looking good. Theres valves to adjust the air so the bottom drain can be turned down:

AW31MSF.jpg

Soldato
Filter bay almost ready - tomorrow should see the move and pipes cut.
MDhUFbl.jpg

Once the filter has been adjust etc I'll sort out some mortar sometime in the summer to make the stacks a little more permenant. There is about 40mm (ie a paving slab height) that needs to go on the top of the blocks to get the right level. When the time comes that slab will be removed and I'll mortar them in - the mortar gap will then consume the 40mm and level out based on what I've learnt.

I'll probably adjust the valve configuration too - that redundant valve can go to the bottom drain or be the escape valve to the bio.

Early start tomorrow sees the filter moved, the system up and running in a temporary configuration and the fish moved along with the existing pond water.

It's going to be a long day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, so some rework on the filter position but all done and dusted.

yve9RLC.jpg

The airlifts are pulling a decent amount:

The flow rate through the drum with the bypass open - I need to hook up the water and mains for it to clean, this means it can run but not clog up.

A long day and my back is shot.

Soldato
I adjusted the T configuration on the airlifts. They now shift some serious water flow plus they are dead silent. All on 58 Watts of power.

Theres enough water pull on the airlifts to push the water level in the pond up by a few inches and I needed to open the second drum bypass as it was pulling down the water level in the drum with just one bypass open *eek*. I have a further optimisation that will increase the performance further but for now I think I'm happy - it's running at least 20,000 lph flow rate into the back pressure of the pond. Enough to cycle the pond every 30 minutes.

I've also started to fill in the old small pond. Broken up the brickwork today and will continue to back fill over the weekend.

Soldato
This is with the new configuration.

First no load, you can see the flow rate well in this without any pond back pressure:

Next with the airlifts hooked up - look at the difference in water level. The pond level is used up more (better performance) - the airlifts are running without full air so that don't eject bubbles into the pond.

The water flow rate drops from the returns for two reasons. First the back pressure in the pond as the airlift is pushing against the volume of the raised water in the pond and the second the filters in the garage restrict the flow quite a bit. Regardless there's more than enough flow rate for the pond. Maximum flow rate from the two airlifts is in the region of 36000 lph without back pressure and probably ~20,000lph with the back pressure and filter restriction.

So basically everything you see - the air column in the pond, the airlifts circulating water (from the bottom drain and skimmer) and the bio in the garage are run off the same since HiBlow XP80 air pump (58W). There's more than enough air todo that.

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks great Nick, you should be pleased with what you have created there :)

It was a bit of a calculated gamble. However given the current energy price hikes it seems like it's paying back already. Also seemed to have caused a little bit of interest with koi pond owners. I'm happy, although I'll be more happy once the garden has been sorted and I can sit back with a BBQ and beer :D

Associate
I will be honest, I struggled to relax in my garden last summer - my OCD kept kicking in, I would see a weed or something not quite right, jump up and sort it but then see something else....before I knew it, I had been working in the garden for most of the day instead of kicking back and enjoying it

Soldato
Seems like there's a lot of koi ponds being closed down due to the energy bills - heated, multi pump, RO etc, all to ensure the perfect water parameters. Yet Japanese koi ponds for young fish are mud ponds. So I think there will be a reset of expectations, and new techniques. Not many people can run multiple 200-300W pumps, central heating or electricity heating and not adjust their consumption habits.
Some owners have solar setups but not many can afford the setup for a 4kW solar setup to make the pond free of operational costs.

Today sees the clearing of a lot of plastics, wood and the old liner so the garden should just look like a sand pit and not a rubbish drum. I'll remove the bricks from the old pond and complete the backfill. I'll also put the baskets into the main pond. I also need to wire up the electric board for the drum and the air pump etc plus feed the bio with the vented air to reduce the flow rate to use the drum.

I'll also research the main anoxic filter baskets - baskets, tights and kitty litter along with clays tonight and I want to design a protein skimmer - the main wall skimmer had a thick film I had to remove by hand. Good it caught it but I need something using air to remove the dissolved organics.

Still plenty todo, in conjunction with applying for jobs.

Associate
Latest water readings for my pond:
PH 8 / NH 0.1 / NO2 0 / NO3 5 / KH 6 / GH 11

A lot better than previous and seems to have stabilized - I have reduced adding bicarb to every 4 days (will increase in the warmer weather).

Fish look much happier, starting to search around the pond for food - dropped a very small amount of wheatgerm in this morning for them.

Soldato
Drum now up and running. Only small snag is the water connection to the outside tap leaks, so that's tomorrow's job.

MOTCNss.jpg

The tasks I have now are:
* put paving stones back down.
* insulate/hide blue pipe.
* anoxic baskets
* skip for garden - the remaining soil
* tidy up air pipes.
* remove guttering on the back wall
* water blade plumbing.
* repaint the wall and scrape the excess sealant off the window.

That it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom