• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Hi everyone.

Has anyone had their 5700XT upgraded by XFX? Saw some posts online saying they were taking early adopters cards and upgrading the fan or the cooler or thermal pads?

Thinking of doing the same with mine, or see if I can just get a refund and re-invest in another 5700XT. The card is fine and runs well, but can get a little hot/loud. Nothing major where ive set a custom fan curve but still better options out there, now that the price has dropped a little too.

TIA!

Associate
Just loaded the latest drivers for my water cooled 5700XT Ref card. I only play Modern Warfare atm and all my weird UI glitches I had in the menus have completely gone.

4 ish hours sesh I had no issues. Very impressed so far. Im also getting a much more stable frame rate.

Temps are just as good if not better. Idle 30c - 25c water temp. 55c on load - 35c water temp :)

Soldato
Just loaded the latest drivers for my water cooled 5700XT Ref card. I only play Modern Warfare atm and all my weird UI glitches I had in the menus have completely gone.

4 ish hours sesh I had no issues. Very impressed so far. Im also getting a much more stable frame rate.

Temps are just as good if not better. Idle 30c - 25c water temp. 55c on load - 35c water temp :)
Do you notice that the gpu frequency isn't all over the place any more?

What is the sketch with the latest AMD Drivers?
In the past I never thought twice about updating, but a few months back it was hell-like, so I reverted to an earlier stable version of Radeon Settings.
Have things improved?
Can I safely update to 20.whataver versions from 19.something high?

Soldato
What is the sketch with the latest AMD Drivers?
In the past I never thought twice about updating, but a few months back it was hell-like, so I reverted to an earlier stable version of Radeon Settings.
Have things improved?
Can I safely update to 20.whataver versions from 19.something high?

The only thing I can suggest to you is to simply try it and see for yourself. However, I and others like me have not had any problems.

AMD has fixed issues in their drivers as reported in their release notes. In particular the GPU frequency fluctuation. To me the drivers are worth it just for that. Also frame rates have stabilized. Which seems to have coincide with the GPU clock rate fluctuating.

I've also noticed improved latency. Particularly in Modern Warfare 2019. Where things can get real sweaty real fast with then implementing skill based matchmaking in all 6 V6 matches. I can now play at 1440p with no depreciable difference when using 1080p.

Also, MSI afterburner seems to work just fine with these drivers. Although they work with previous drivers. There was a time where you couldn't use MSI afterburner. For example, you can set your clocks in whatman exit out of wattman startup MSI afterburner and it will correctly pick up on the voltage, clock rate, power limit, etc. You can just save it in MSI afterburner as a profile.

So over these are the things I've noticed with the drivers. Even though they list a lot more in their release notes. They don't seem to affect me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi everyone.

Has anyone had their 5700XT upgraded by XFX? Saw some posts online saying they were taking early adopters cards and upgrading the fan or the cooler or thermal pads?

Thinking of doing the same with mine, or see if I can just get a refund and re-invest in another 5700XT. The card is fine and runs well, but can get a little hot/loud. Nothing major where ive set a custom fan curve but still better options out there, now that the price has dropped a little too.

TIA!

XFX replaces the cooler of the THICC II if you got one before November. (receipt required).

Associate
XFX replaces the cooler of the THICC II if you got one before November. (receipt required).
Thanks Panos. Im apparently being added to some kind of waiting list now. Think I got it about July time, wasnt long after it was released. Managed to snag one of the 580's OC was selling for the bday sale so ill use that as a temporary card whilst they have it. Not ideal but it will hold decent value in the mean time.

Associate
I managed to pick up an MIS 970 GAMING OC for next to nothing so I decided to try it instead of my 5700XT just for a quick comparison before I build a cheap 1600AF system.

DDU Went ok and the Nvidia installation was perfect, Just over 4360 Firestrike score so the 5700XT is more than 110% faster. Played a few quick games like GTA 5

One thing I have noticed is the picture quality on the Nvidia card, the colours look dull almost washed out, whereas the 5700XT looks like HDR if that makes sense? I suppose the 970 is a very old card.

Now I have to reinstall all the Radeon software :D I hope it goes well!

Soldato
I have just installed the 20.2.2 drivers and now my idel clock speed says 810mhz instead of 6mhz and the stressed clockspeed isn't jumping around as bad as before.Wonder if that will make much difference to gaming, because now that the clock speeds are steadier, the temps has increased by about 10c running furmark?

One thing I have noticed is the picture quality on the Nvidia card, the colours look dull almost washed out, whereas the 5700XT looks like HDR if that makes sense? I suppose the 970 is a very old card.

I havent had a Nvidia card for donkies years, but I had a r9 290 (about as old and the same speed as your 970) and I cant say I have noticed a colour improvement.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have just installed the 20.2.2 drivers and now my idel clock speed says 810mhz instead of 6mhz and the stressed clockspeed isn't jumping around as bad as before.Wonder if that will make much difference to gaming, because now that the clock speeds are steadier, the temps has increased by about 10c running furmark?

I havent had a Nvidia card for donkies years, but I had a r9 290 (about as old and the same speed as your 970) and I cant say I have noticed a colour improvement.
Check the Known Issues in the release notes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom