• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Hopefully Powercolor will honor their $400 promise; although I wouldn't be surprised if EU prices will be jacked up as usual.

I very much doubt UK consumers will get a reasonable price, not with the wonky conversions between dollar and pound these days, and the scourge that is VAT.

Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. That being said, if they price too high, then people will just buy a 2070S instead!

Associate
https://www.cowcotland.com/news/683...rx-5700-et-rx-5700-xt-deja-en-fin-de-vie.html

I cannot vouch for the veracity of this article but they claim that the rx5700 reference series is already moribund. Only 4 weeks post launch! What's going on here? It seems like the excessive thermals and noise levels due to the blower design has resulted in a backdraft of ubiquitous complaints (pardon the pun). Quite the barn burner for Nvidia that can comfortably sell 10% more performance at a 25% premium. Who jebaited whom here, Scott?

Caporegime
I think thats what @Martini1991 predicted and would appear to be the smarter short term move, however if it doesnt yield any better clocks it may not be worth it unless your wanting quieter room on intense sessions.

Especially when you factor in the aftermarket cooler will be kept, thus an investment.
The AIB 5700XT's are crackers pricing. 2070S FE from Nvidia better buy.

Associate
What do you use to tune it m8, Wattman? Also what is the max rpm you use? Mine is topping out around 78c with Auto UV.

I'm just using wattman yeah, I don't actually have those settings anymore haha!

I found this post - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cigjea/5700xt_my_experience_drivers_bugs_and/

I'm currently experimenting with that.

Using the same settings that he has in that post, performance takes a very small hit but power is down hugely and temps are down to average 62 and I can't hear it at all ran 3dmark a few times no crashing, will mess with it some more later on.

I haven't set on anything yet really still playing around with it.

I really don't understand the complaining about the reference model though, unless I just got really lucky, some reviewers were reporting temps of 95C I assume that they have their PCs in an oven?

Associate
https://www.cowcotland.com/news/683...rx-5700-et-rx-5700-xt-deja-en-fin-de-vie.html

I cannot vouch for the veracity of this article but they claim that the rx5700 reference series is already moribund. Only 4 weeks post launch! What's going on here? It seems like the excessive thermals and noise levels due to the blower design has resulted in a backdraft of ubiquitous complaints (pardon the pun). Quite the barn burner for Nvidia that can comfortably sell 10% more performance at a 25% premium. Who jebaited whom here, Scott?

That's normal isn't it? The reference Polaris and Vegas mostly disappeared after the custom AIB cards came out.

Soldato

No, AMD don't sell reference cards for very long and it's quite normal to see them vanish once AIB models show up. Which is always a pain if you want to watercool.

Plus, "excessive thermals and noise" is overly dramatic, isn't it? Or have you just been watching too many YouTubers who don't know what they're doing? Because there are plenty of actual owners of the 5700XT who all disagree with how hot and noisy the stock blower is, and the 5700 never even had the problem to begin with.

Caporegime
No, AMD don't sell reference cards for very long and it's quite normal to see them vanish once AIB models show up. Which is always a pain if you want to watercool.

Plus, "excessive thermals and noise" is overly dramatic, isn't it? Or have you just been watching too many YouTubers who don't know what they're doing? Because there are plenty of actual owners of the 5700XT who all disagree with how hot and noisy the stock blower is, and the 5700 never even had the problem to begin with.

As someone who owns a 5700XT reference.
The issue is exaggerated on both sides.

But I'm sick of people pretending that it's better than what it is just as much as I'm sick of people pretending it's 4000 rpm at stock.

Default 5700XT is hot as the sun, audible but not loud.

Soldato

Same thing happened to Vega when the AIB cards appeared, and the 290X. Anyone grabbed the 5700XT AE (huhuhuh :D) got a guaranteed lottery winning ticket.
The rest of the plebs you are going down for the draw.... muahahaha :D
Let alone if the AIB cards have custom PCBs you will be on the hunting for compatible waterblocks.

As someone who owns a 5700XT reference.
The issue is exaggerated on both sides.

But I'm sick of people pretending that it's better than what it is just as much as I'm sick of people pretending it's 4000 rpm at stock.

Default 5700XT is hot as the sun, audible but not loud.

Maybe is the chip quality difference? From what I see in here, those of us having the AE are baffled about everyone else's complains about heat and noise.

Soldato
FYI to those interested, the EK waterblock for the 5700 comes with single slot bracket. And I was worried that would need to rip the one from my Fury Nano.
(yeah still keeping that card, with its waterblock).

Associate

The thing is, it doesn't matter what I think. The first impression is everything and every major reviewer slated the card. Even if the blower cooler isn't all that bad as depicted, this could all have been avoided if AMD didn't cheap out on cooling. I bet there is a large amount of people who got the 5700xt in the hype only to return it due to unreasonable thermals and malfunctioning software-- instead choosing nvidia for painless plug and play and solid temps. AMD could have captured the momentum from the Ryzen launch and established themselves as kings of midrange in the GPU segment; instead people had to wait 6 weeks for proper cooling from partners and battle the buggy software.

I just think they lost a huge opportunity by obsequiously trying to appease their partners' by releasing a borderline acceptable reference card.

Soldato
The thing is, it doesn't matter what I think. The first impression is everything and every major reviewer slated the card. Even if the blower cooler isn't all that bad as depicted, this could all have been avoided if AMD didn't cheap out on cooling. I bet there is a large amount of people who got the 5700xt in the hype only to return it due to unreasonable thermals and malfunctioning software-- instead choosing nvidia for painless plug and play and solid temps. AMD could have captured the momentum from the Ryzen launch and established themselves as kings of midrange in the GPU segment; instead people had to wait 6 weeks for proper cooling from partners and battle the buggy software.

I just think they lost a huge opportunity by obsequiously trying to appease their partners' by releasing a borderline acceptable reference card.

The card is as hot as every other card out there, including the Nvidia ones. And if the reviewers do not put the fan at 100% speed, like many did but others didn't, you will see the card is as noisy as the whole Nvidia Turing dual fan lineup, and less noisy than the Pascal blowers.

Except if a 38.5db EVGA 2070S XC is a lot less loud than a 39db 5700XT reference somehow (when the microphone is put next to the card, not the usual position over half meter away from the ears)
Or the 79C of the 2060S & 2070S (with dual fan cooler) are "having so much better thermals", than the 5700XT at 80C with the blower. On the same review!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I just snagged a reference 5700XT for 350, having had the 2900XT in the past with its noisy blower fan, which for me was perfectly fine even under load I doubt this will be even remotely close to that.

Associate
The card is as hot as every other card out there, including the Nvidia ones. And if the reviewers do not put the fan at 100% speed, like many did but others didn't, you will see the card is as noisy as the whole Nvidia Turing dual fan lineup, and less noisy than the Pascal blowers.

Except if a 38.5db EVGA 2070S XC is a lot less loud than a 39db 5700XT reference somehow (when the microphone is put next to the card, not the usual position over half meter away from the ears)
Or the 79C of the 2060S & 2070S (with dual fan cooler) are "having so much better thermals", than the 5700XT at 80C with the blower. On the same review!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm aware of the dirty nvidia bias behind the scenes and thus most reviews are poisoned to some degree but the thermals conundrum is very much real and is the common denominator in every complaint.

Back
Top Bottom