• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
Having recently purchased and installed a Corsair PSU I understand the frustration with their documentation. Coming from a 950 which didn’t need additional PCI-e connectors it took a while to work out how I was supposed to connect everything.

Everything EastCoastHandle has said is correct. With Corsair PSU cables you plug the end with the writing into the component inside the case, in this case the ones with PCIE on them. These are the ends that can be split into 6 plus 2 pins or left as 8 pins. The other end of the cable can go into the PSU itself, and this is what threw me a bit as the sockets marked 6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPUon the PSU are the same apparently.

The Corsair 650w units come with 3 of these connectors so you should be able to use 2 separate cables for the graphics card as long as your motherboard and processor only need one 4 pin or 8 pin EPS connector.
thanks for the insight!

Associate
anyone got a link to a good guid to using wattman, undervolting, overclocking etc.
I don’t like wattman especially when I play with the fan speed. I want to find a goof balance between noise and temp, so I set it 100% hit accept then 70% hit accept and it still sits at 100%.

And I need an adaptor to connect a 2nd monitor that I use to display aquasuite and afterburner so I can see what’s happening while playing a game. It’s going to take a while to get it all set up how I want.

And I need another bit of software to get gpu temp working in aquasuite hwinfo cant do it any ideas?

Soldato
anyone got a link to a good guid to using wattman, undervolting, overclocking etc.
I don’t like wattman especially when I play with the fan speed. I want to find a goof balance between noise and temp, so I set it 100% hit accept then 70% hit accept and it still sits at 100%.

And I need an adaptor to connect a 2nd monitor that I use to display aquasuite and afterburner so I can see what’s happening while playing a game. It’s going to take a while to get it all set up how I want.

And I need another bit of software to get gpu temp working in aquasuite hwinfo cant do it any ideas?

Few pages back and on another discussion wrote about settings. Is pretty simple. Move the right hand side point to the speed & power you want, leave PL to 0% and click apply. :)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33079300/

Associate
Few pages back and on another discussion wrote about settings. Is pretty simple. Move the right hand side point to the speed & power you want, leave PL to 0% and click apply. :)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33079300/
Thanks, I guess I wasn’t looking hard enough.
I have a read. You know if the latest afterburner working yet?
I have it downloaded but not installed, I’m debating if it’s worth the hassle of reinstalling windows. Farcry5 feels a bit stuttery

Soldato
Thanks, I guess I wasn’t looking hard enough.
I have a read. You know if the latest afterburner working yet?
I have it downloaded but not installed, I’m debating if it’s worth the hassle of reinstalling windows. Farcry5 feels a bit stuttery

A fresh windows installation is good, especially using the latest version from microsoft and not some ancient one with years of patches on top.

After you do that, and you still have stutter, go to Display tab -> Specs (top right corner) -> Override tab -> Adjust Voltage Swing 1 & Adjust PreEmphasis 2.
And always use latest drivers.

As for MSI AB, many issues are reported with it. From conflicting values and losing overclocks to stutter and low speed. Is a third party software which is not needed for AMD GPUs as the drivers have everything.
MSI AB is for Nvidia cards and it's bare bones drivers you cannot even set an FPS cap.

Associate
A fresh windows installation is good, especially using the latest version from microsoft and not some ancient one with years of patches on top.

After you do that, and you still have stutter, go to Display tab -> Specs (top right corner) -> Override tab -> Adjust Voltage Swing 1 & Adjust PreEmphasis 2.
And always use latest drivers.

As for MSI AB, many issues are reported with it. From conflicting values and losing overclocks to stutter and low speed. Is a third party software which is not needed for AMD GPUs as the drivers have everything.
MSI AB is for Nvidia cards and it's bare bones drivers you cannot even set an FPS cap.
Thank you again.
Reinstall of win 10 from usb is not as painful as xp so no reason not to just need to find my usb. After faffing about spilling coolent everywhere removing a rad so the gpu could fit. I couldn’t be bothered lol.
5700xt is huge compared to my 290

Associate
I bit the bullet and purchased a Sapphire pulse model of the 5700 XT a couple of days ago to replace my outdated R9 280x and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with problems. Since installing the card, I experience a brief crackling noise frequently when gaming which is accompanied by a visual stutter. This happens when my sound is coming through my monitor (connected to GPU via HDMI) and still happens when sound is through my headset (connected to motherboard via USB). When this happens while having my headset connected, my microphone will stop picking up sound and will not work until I swap my input device to another and then swap it back. Even when this happens, Windows recognises my headset is still connected and is visible in sound settings, device manager and in realtek software, and still works as headphones. I have noticed it happens more regularly when a game is loading and when in busy areas, but still happens seemingly randomly too. None of this happened with my old GPU.

I've tried troubleshooting using search engines and browsing main tech forums and have tried a few things:

* Changing PCIe in Bios to "Gen 3" setting.
* Inserting the GPU into the other PCIe slot on my motherboard
* Reinstalling drivers. I saw a suggestion that recommended not to install AMD audio drivers, which I tried but did not work.
* Using a different HDMI cable to connect my GPU to my monitor.
* Changing which USB slot my headset is inserted in
* Using a different headset; I tried my partner's headset for about 2 hours which connects via 3.5mm jack and only experienced the audio glitches and visual stutter but no microphone issues. At the same time, she was using my USB headset and had zero problems on her computer, negating the notion of a faulty headset.

To top it all off, my performance on in-game benchmarks runs far worse than what many sources state; for example, running BL3 benchmark at 1080p Ultra settings averages me at 71.4 FPS which is far below what sources indicate should be expected on reference model 5700 XTs (sources: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/borderlands-3-performance and https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/borderlands-3-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,5.html).

bCmlCke.png

I also stutter in busier areas when playing WoW Classic on "Classic" settings (a 14 year old version of the game!) which wasn't a problem on my old 280x, and I hear an odd noise which I think is whine when on the character select screen. I haven't really gotten round to testing anything else because of all the troubleshooting I've done in the past week. EDIT: capping FPS has solved this issue, simple fix I forgot to check. Audio issues still stand.

My specs:

* GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
* CPU: Intel i5-7600k OCd at 3.8GHz
* Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-K
* PSU: Corsair CX 750M
* RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
* Storage: 256GB Samsung SSD and 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Any further advice? I'd rather not send the card back and initially attributed it to AMD drivers (which I've noticed are heavily complained about in relation to this card) but I'm getting the impression my card is DOA because of it's weak performance in comparison to other XTs. EDIT: is it possible the audio issues are caused by magnetic interference?

Last edited:
Associate
Just had it explained by a friend too, he agreed my RAM and CPU were why I was experiencing a lower FPS than benchmarks. A little bit of know-how I was lacking, thanks.

I had the exact same issue couple of days ago. forgot I had reset my bios so ram was at 2133 rather than 3600. Was just getting over 60fps with my 3900x and 5700 xt lol

Associate
Any good programs to monitor fan speeds during game play, tried Afterburner but it doesn't seem to have them.

Playing Fallout 4 getting really loud fan noise while temps are low and in Metro Exodus and Battlefield V higher temps but lower fan noise.

Associate
I bought the Sapphire Pulse 5700XT as soon as it was available and I have to say, coming from a reference Vega 64, it's absolutely outstanding. Faster, quieter and more power efficient what is their to not like? I'm still running it at stock and the performance is great. Tried auto under volt but didn't make much difference except it has a bug that shows the 0 rpm fan at a higher figure. For £439 I'm a very happy chappy indeed.

Back
Top Bottom