• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
Which game out of interest? I assume you have an undervolt going on.

I've pushed the undervolt to the GPUs limits, reduced in-game effects and even limited my fps but I actually think it's a game/optimisation issue. Frequently hit 80-83c in some situations.

The game is Valheim. I know it's experienced by other players so I'm not too fussed, it was just out of curiosity.

Caporegime
I've pushed the undervolt to the GPUs limits, reduced in-game effects and even limited my fps but I actually think it's a game/optimisation issue. Frequently hit 80-83c in some situations.

The game is Valheim. I know it's experienced by other players so I'm not too fussed, it was just out of curiosity.
I used to run my fan speed so slow on my MBA 6900 XT that the edge would reach 90c. I wouldn't worry too much about 83c.

Associate
What is going on with the 6900xt? I see the top 5 results in Timespy are from the last few days so most likely they are using the latest driver. Is that a sign of fine wine or it is just a coincidence?
Also someone was reporting a small increase in RT performance with the latest driver. I think RGT made a video about that.

Associate
What is going on with the 6900xt? I see the top 5 results in Timespy are from the last few days so most likely they are using the latest driver. Is that a sign of fine wine or it is just a coincidence?
Also someone was reporting a small increase in RT performance with the latest driver. I think RGT made a video about that.

Yes, driver 21.3.1 has improved RX 6000 series performance!

I've just run Superposition benchmark (1080p Extreme & 4k) and here are the results:

1080p Extreme - 13460 - https://ibb.co/K0hDRKH

4k Optimized - 18855 - https://ibb.co/cyJy8qV

Associate
Soldato
Associate
Hello - new 6900 XT owner here. Was lucky enough to pick up a ASUS MBA variant last week from OCUK. Upgraded from a 2080 Super, running it in an Asus x570 TUF mobo and in combination with a 5800x, 32gb 3200 Corsair ram, RM1000 Corsair PSU, and an Asus 1440p screen. Kicks out a 17,500 - 17,800 score in Time Spy without doing anything other than hitting +15 on the power limit.

Can't say I'm impressed with in-game experience though - particularly Warzone, the FPS is everywhere - up and down. In comparison to the 2080 Super it's currently a poorer in-game experience (or certainly for the games I play) from a stable frame-rate perspective. E.g. the 2080 Super held FPS in Warzone at 1440p pretty solid around the 160 mark. Whereas the 6900xt on similar settings it'll be bouncing everywhere, from 130 - 230. With GPU Clock all over the place. Running latest driver 21.3.1, only adjustments are setting power limit to 15 and having a more aggressive fan-curve to keep things cool.

Also looked at the following titles: Destiny 2 struggled - think it was sub 60fps, Fortnite stutters badly and has weird fps drops, BFV at 1440p just crawled around at 40fps. Apex Legends runs fine, and just sits at the 144 cap as you'd expect. Black Ops: Cold War - similar experience to Warzone.

Reinstalled windows, reinstalled drivers - after wiping with DDU in safe mode.

Does any one else experience this?

Thanks

Associate
Hello - new 6900 XT owner here. Was lucky enough to pick up a ASUS MBA variant last week from OCUK. Upgraded from a 2080 Super, running it in an Asus x570 TUF mobo and in combination with a 5800x, 32gb 3200 Corsair ram, RM1000 Corsair PSU, and an Asus 1440p screen. Kicks out a 17,500 - 17,800 score in Time Spy without doing anything other than hitting +15 on the power limit.

Can't say I'm impressed with in-game experience though - particularly Warzone, the FPS is everywhere - up and down. In comparison to the 2080 Super it's currently a poorer in-game experience (or certainly for the games I play) from a stable frame-rate perspective. E.g. the 2080 Super held FPS in Warzone at 1440p pretty solid around the 160 mark. Whereas the 6900xt on similar settings it'll be bouncing everywhere, from 130 - 230. With GPU Clock all over the place. Running latest driver 21.3.1, only adjustments are setting power limit to 15 and having a more aggressive fan-curve to keep things cool.

Also looked at the following titles: Destiny 2 struggled - think it was sub 60fps, Fortnite stutters badly and has weird fps drops, BFV at 1440p just crawled around at 40fps. Apex Legends runs fine, and just sits at the 144 cap as you'd expect. Black Ops: Cold War - similar experience to Warzone.

Reinstalled windows, reinstalled drivers - after wiping with DDU in safe mode.

Does any one else experience this?

Thanks

No, in fact, I kinda of found the opposite compared to my 3090.

It felt the headline numbers were a bit lower, but the variation in framerate was almost much lower which led to a perceived smoother experience.

What do you Performance settings in the Radeon software look like? Is it possible you've set the clock way too high and it's bouncing all over the place?

While you can set a 3000MHz clock and it'll run stable, it'll just automatically scale it back.

Associate
I've played with the performance settings trying to get things more stable but with no success. I've not attempted to set the max clock beyond the default setting in the Radeon software, I didn't see the point considering it didn't seem consistent at the default levels. By default the clock is set to a max of 2514 and a min of 500. I've attempted to lower the max frequency e.g. 2,400, 2,300 ... and increase the min frequency to within about 100 of the max to try and stabilise the clock in game. Invariably all that's happened in that scenario is the max FPS it bounces to is reduced but the range of bounce remains similar ... e.g. instead of 130/140 - 220/230 it'll bounce between 100 - 200.

I think it might just be software issues, Destiny 2 appears to be a common problem. Fortnite (which I don't play anyway) also appears to have known issues. Warzone ... well, it's poorly optimised without a doubt. Took another look at BFV last night and realised I had ray-tracing on (DXR I believe) ... turned that off and boom > locked out at the 200fps cap. That combined with the fact that Apex also runs buttery smooth makes me a bit more satisfied that it's a matter of drivers/poor software rather than something I can specifically control - though I find it strange that other people get much more FPS stability in Warzone on a similar combination of hardware. It's also a pain that it's the game I play the most.

Tried SAM both off and on - didn't make any noticeable difference, currently running with it off.

Associate
I've just uploaded my results:

DX12
10900K @ 5.3GHz
RX 6900 XT 2940 / 2150 FT

1080p = 164fps
https://ibb.co/3vSQXgS
https://ibb.co/dBWRWcn

1440p = 118fps
https://ibb.co/Ld8K04y
https://ibb.co/MD5QvsR

That's absolutely bonkers! 2.9GHz on the GPU. :eek:

I'll just stick with 2.6GHz, with it typically sustaining 2.55GHz! At this stage it works on all games, I throw at it, and is stable. It's a crying shame, that I am some what CPU limited in a few games, and 5900x / 5950x are sold out everywhere. :(

Back
Top Bottom