• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Glad you put that into more plain english for us folk! Be interesting to see how this plays out then, it will be quite the jump in RT performance if they manage to implement it properly.

Their current problem with this is that they're struggling with the BVH trees constantly needing to be re-made based on changes to the camera and object locations, naturally these can be erratic, especially when players are in control of the camera.
Their current plan is to use machine-learning to create algorithms to overcome this- so if they do manage to get this fully working and out- chances are the performance gains will be for RDNA3 and later since they have dedicated matrix compute cores.

AMD's current RT techniques is designed to make heavy use of cache and memory bandwidth, it has a much larger impact on these parts of the GPU (which makes sense as this was their strength with RDNA2- they're just using their architecture the best they can) rather than hitting compute hard.

Last edited:
Soldato
@hardkore Can you comment on this?

All i can say is F1 2022 and half life alyx now play smoothly on my quest 2 at 90hz on high settings. It never used to before.

I'm VERY new to VR so still figuring it all out but i was getting big black squares when i moved my head around and really bad stuttering before these new drivers.

I've seen over on AMD forums that the issue isnt totally fixed but i think this is a huge step in the right direction. Plays well for me now so that's all i care about.

Love my 7900xt :)

Caporegime
All i can say is F1 2022 and half life alyx now play smoothly on my quest 2 at 90hz on high settings. It never used to before.

I'm VERY new to VR so still figuring it all out but i was getting big black squares when i moved my head around and really bad stuttering before these new drivers.

I've seen over on AMD forums that the issue isnt totally fixed but i think this is a huge step in the right direction. Plays well for me now so that's all i care about.

Love my 7900xt :)
Good stuff.

CC @danlightbulb

Soldato

"AMD really need to fix this."​

:confused:
Is it that bad for the RX 7900 XT? Mine runs around 320w max when undervolted + tuned.

One slightly annoying problem, is that after waking my PC from sleep, I have to keep telling the fans to run upto 90%, they keep defaulting back to around 60%.

Seems like quite an easy problem to solve for most games, with a frame rate cap.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it that bad for the RX 7900 XT? Mine runs around 320w max when undervolted + tuned.

What slightly annoying problem, is that after waking my PC from sleep, I have to keep telling the fans to run upto 90%, they keep defaulting back to around 60%.

Seems like quite an easy problem to solve for most games, with a frame rate cap.
Running an AMD CPU? If so do you have to chipset driver installed?
Might be worth grabbing a wattage plug, under £10 and you can see what's what.

Soldato
I'm not that worried really. My Seasonic Prime PSU is only 650 watts anyway.

I think that video makes a good case for the RTX 4080. Shame about it's price though!

But, he says that the AMD card is killing the 4080 on performance per dollar.

One thing to say about the RTX 4000 series, is that the node is denser than AMDs RDNA3 GPUs, the GPU dies probably cost a bit more to produce also. So, perhaps power savings aren't that surprising.

Last edited:
Associate

"AMD really need to fix this."​

:confused:
Unless gamers are doing 7 to 8 hours stints I don’t see this having a big impact. One thing it does do is stop me turning the heating on in the room I have my pc.

Associate
Just bought a shiney 7900XTX so looking forward to getting it and installing. Other than it being obscenely huge, anything I should know? Reading about the power draw, will an 850W PSU be adequate?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's quite striking to see how running a 7700X at a fixed clock of 4Ghz can affect performance in some games, like AC:O

637nXKc.png

Some large CPU spikes there, as you'd expect to see, which reduce minimums to 41 FPS (down from ~66) and the average framerate to 80 (down from 90).

When running the CPU at 4.7Ghz (the standard base clock), the results are significantly improved, just a few frames less than when running at turbo frequencies.

Fixing the frequency at 5.4Ghz made no difference to minimum FPS in this case, turbo boost with PBO curve set seemed to work just as well.

Hopefully AMD will keep optimising their CPUs for higher and higher base clocks, because I think some games will benefit from it, 5Ghz base clock would be nice (with low temps / voltage), shame it wasn't done with the Ryzen 7000 series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom