• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
I'll probably just do that then, the power drawn issue is absolutely ridiculous, how it hasn't been fixed yet is beyond me, but as long as I grab a USB C device capable of 2k @ 60fps should be all good and shouldn't hog system resources & cause any slowdowns really should it?

Knowing me i'd drown my card!
Does your monitor support free sync for VRR as you might have to turn it on in the monitor menu. I seem to remember having to hunt for this as it was not turned on by default.

Soldato
What is the 7900 XTX card like for coil whine? Considering the TUF version after my nightmare with two 4090 cards...

Prety bad on my Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX but in my opinion, it's not the card, I got terrible coil whine on my 970 and my 5700XT all with the same Corsair HX1000i but I can't prove one way or the other which is the cause.

Caporegime
Why is it so much worse on newer generations of cards? I have none on my 2080Ti... Have I just been out of the loop too long and am out with my expectations?

More power being used presumably. I can't recall when it started being more noticeable but I remember ocuk were selling cards with some kind of casing around the power components to minimise it.

Just seems hit or miss as to what you get. Any gaming i do I wear headphones so I never notice any.

Associate
Just got my Sapphire Pulse 7900xt installed today and played about 5 hours of skyrim. Was a bit worried initially as it crashed twice at the same spot within 30 seconds of starting my game but I’d clicked the undervolt button in adrenaline- once that was switched off it ran fine.

I will need to look up a guide for that. Overall I’m very pleased with it - runs quiet, cool (GPU hotspot 84c, GPU about 70c IIRC) and it’s a considerable boost in performance for my 3070.

Other than the above, is there anything else you’d recommend i tweak with it?

One other thing actually- i started the adrenaline overlay sidebar but it seemed to cause stuttering, has anyone else come across this?

Associate
I'm in 2 mins on my Gigabyte card, purely due to the insane power draw when idle with 2 screens connected (Up from 5w with one screen to 105w with 2) if I got a USB C to HDMI/USB C Video/DP for the 2nd screen (1440p screen that is used for web, movies, streaming etc.. no games) in theory it should be pretty seamless shouldn't it?

No complaints on the 7990 XTX, it eats every game in 2K on Ultra, not missed a beat yet but my god it gets noisy! :o
Are you on the latest drivers? - I'm running 2 screens: 1440p 60hz + 4k 60hz TV and only getting 40w draw while watching YouTube

Associate
Just got my Sapphire Pulse 7900xt installed today and played about 5 hours of skyrim. Was a bit worried initially as it crashed twice at the same spot within 30 seconds of starting my game but I’d clicked the undervolt button in adrenaline- once that was switched off it ran fine.

I will need to look up a guide for that. Overall I’m very pleased with it - runs quiet, cool (GPU hotspot 84c, GPU about 70c IIRC) and it’s a considerable boost in performance for my 3070.

Other than the above, is there anything else you’d recommend i tweak with it?

One other thing actually- i started the adrenaline overlay sidebar but it seemed to cause stuttering, has anyone else come across this?
Make sure your case is well ventilated. Back rear and roof rear expelling air makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick check. Are these temperatures for the GPU normal? I am mainly looking at the hot spot. 68 degrees for the GPU whilst gaming seem's alright. The hotspot at 105 though seemed high or is this normal for these cards?

The card I have is the AS Rock Phantom.

Associate
Make sure your case is well ventilated. Top rear and roof rear expelling air makes a huge difference.
I have my aio top mounted to exhaust in a fractal north (mesh) with the stock 140mm fans in front. Had another few hours on starfield this morning and it never went about 70c on the GPU so pretty pleased with how it runs. The game looks so much crisper running without FSR, great upgrade.

Soldato
Just a quick check. Are these temperatures for the GPU normal? I am mainly looking at the hot spot. 68 degrees for the GPU whilst gaming seem's alright. The hotspot at 105 though seemed high or is this normal for these cards?

The card I have is the AS Rock Phantom.

memory and gpu temp under load all look normal, your hotspot is a tad high, ideally you want around 20-25c between the gpu and hotspot temp, but then again the temps the uk are seeing it would make sence why its hot, keep an eye over the next week or 2 as its getting a lot cooler weatherwise, if the hotspot drops back then everything is fine.

that total board power is nuts, but you have a tuf, my mba maxes out around 500w TBP.

Last edited:
Associate
memory and gpu temp under load all look normal, your hotspot is a tad high, ideally you want around 20-25c between the gpu and hotspot temp, but then again the temps the uk are seeing it would make sence why its hot, keep an eye over the next week or 2 as its getting a lot cooler weatherwise, if the hotspot drops back then everything is fine.

that total board power is nuts, but you have a tuf, my mba maxes out around 500w TBP.
Cheers, I was looking at MSFS on ultra graphics when I got that hot spot. I will keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks as you've suggested.

In regards to the TBP, I am assuming with me having a TUF that power seems normal, and nothing to worry about?

Soldato
Cheers, I was looking at MSFS on ultra graphics when I got that hot spot. I will keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks as you've suggested.

In regards to the TBP, I am assuming with me having a TUF that power seems normal, and nothing to worry about?

Have a mate who plays that on a 3080 fe, his hotspot spikes to 94-95c and memory runs hot too, its a good sim but it does hit hardware very very hard. have you got any other games you could test to see if the temps settle back a bit?

The tuf is a very premium gpu so the board power limits are a fair bit higher, nothing to worry about, if it bothers you, you could drop the power limit in adrenalin software to -10%, card should run cooler and you wont notice any performance hit really.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I have plenty of games I can chose from. I have a look at something that isn't so demanding and see what it runs at, I'll probably give Train Sim a go. Then after that, have a look at Starfield.

As for the TUF, that is the Motherboard (TUF Gaming B650 PLUS WIFI). The GPU is the ASRock Phantom Gaming, so I am not sure if that changes anything.

Associate
Thanks again. I just wanted to make sure re the temps as the last thing I want to do is fry everything.

At the moment I have 3 front case fans and 1 rear case fan. I have two fans for the CPU cooler, although one of these is right next to the rear fan as I did not want to block the RGB on my ram by placing it on the other side. I will assess it for the next two weeks and see how the temps are, if the hot spot is still peaking at around 105, I will pick up another set of three fans for the top of my case and see if that improves anything. If it doesn't, I will have to review it further and probably ask for more assistants on what to change in settings etc as I've never messed around with that sort of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom