• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Lately my 7900 XT MBA junction temp went pretty bad. When i bought the card it maxed out with +15% PL(80% fans) 86C and now few weeks ago i noticed i can go up to 108C with +15PL and 98C with stock PL, in Time Spy...
So i decided to replace thermal paste, i used PTM7950 and also i put 1,5mm Gelid Extreme thermal pads on VRAM chips.
After that my VRAM temp stayed the same(max 88-90C), but junction temp improved only 5-10C, which is still a lot worse that it was at the beginning when i bought the card...
Any opinions why junction went so much worse, even after repasting? (Fans are working fine visually, no dust on GPU, looks like new.)
Wasn't sure how tight GPU bracket screws should be, i tightened them to max.
Is the room temperature a lot warmer since you bought the card. In the UK we have had warmer weather which means temps are up. Can I ask what the airflow is like in your case. Do you have roof fans extracting air at the top rear of your case. My nephew bought a lovely looking case with a glass front which I told him to send back as the airflow was terrible. The other thing that might be worth a try is changing the fan curve.

Associate
Is the room temperature a lot warmer since you bought the card. In the UK we have had warmer weather which means temps are up. Can I ask what the airflow is like in your case. Do you have roof fans extracting air at the top rear of your case. My nephew bought a lovely looking case with a glass front which I told him to send back as the airflow was terrible. The other thing that might be worth a try is changing the fan curve.
Ambient temperature and fan curve are the same. Also the case and cooling is the same, quite a few months i had really good junction temps... then i didn't check the temps anymore as i played only FIFA - it is really easy game for the GPU. And now ~3-4 months later i have somehow much worse hotspot.
When i bought the card i did ton of benchmarking with different settings and i still have that excel with stats. I had hotspot between 80-86C, depends of settings and powerlimit. Few weeks ago i tried and i got 95-108C hotspot.(trying same settings)

Last edited:
Associate
Got my hotspot under control now.
Did reinstall with PTM7950 and this time i used original putty on the VRAM. 1,5mm Gelid Extreme was too thick.
Now junction goes max 85C(on 15% PL, 80% fans)

Last edited:
Soldato
Extra £250 at 1440p probably not really worth it, performance difference is ~15-20% with an extra 4GB VRAM.

I went from a 5700XT to a 7900XT and the difference is huge, being able to play Cyberpunk at 3440x1440p with RT on ultra and still get 60fps is good enough for me.

Associate
what's difference between 7900xt and xtx ?? actual speed wise real terms ? at 1440 ?? i'm in 2 minds atm ..coming from a vega64 ..
is the xtx worth the extra £250

I've got both a sapphire pulse 7900 xt and a msi 7900 xtx , the pulse can do 28000 in timespy and the msi about 32000 both overclocked.

there's about a 20% performance gap between them at stock. most of the time you'll want to run them stock in games unless you like tuning the overclocking profile for that game.

coming from a vega64 to a 7900 xt will be a big increase in performance, i would have stuck with the 7900 xt but needed it for my other pc.

the msi 7900xtx only cost me 150 more than the pulse 7900xt , still im not sure the performance difference is worth it especially at more than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
what's difference between 7900xt and xtx ?? actual speed wise real terms ? at 1440 ?? i'm in 2 minds atm ..coming from a vega64 ..
is the xtx worth the extra £250

I decided to go with the 7900xtx @ 1440p just for the sake of a bit more oomph for future games, I won’t be updating again for a good few years.

Associate
I'd go for the XTX aswell right now. I bought XT just when they were released and XTX was way too overpriced.

XT does the job also very well, with undervolt+VRAM overclock and +15% PL it basically matches the performance of stock XTX. But you can do the same thing with XTX, so yea...

Associate
Can't decide. DO I get the xt or xtx. Usually the slower model is better value but I can maybe justify the xtx by more fps per £

The xt is 1/6 less chip but surely the clock speed can be easily increased to match the xtx.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't decide. DO I get the xt or xtx. Usually the slower model is better value but I can maybe justify the xtx by more fps per £

The xt is 1/6 less chip but surely the clock speed can be easily increased to match the xtx.
I had the 7900XT mba and could only manage 5% more perf on OC.

I had to sell it sadly recently due to cash flow and repurchased a 7800XT mba. Stock settings on Timespy graphics score for the 7800XT is 19000… I’ve been amazed how much it overclocked- I’m hitting 22000 (about a 6950XT/4070ti level) on Timespy vs 27000 with the 7900XT. (I believe XTX can hit 34000 once overclocked). This translates to about 30 fps difference between the 7800xt and 7900xt but at 1440p I can’t tell as I’m maxing out my monitor in most games at 180hz.

For 4K the 7900xt is more useful but then again why not get the XTX, (since there is a significant performance gulf between the two), if cash flow allows for 15% more perf and longevity?

You won’t go wrong with any choice above the 7800xt. Choose according to what other stuff is going on in your life to spend money on.

Last edited:
Associate

Buy the card that you need right now, if you feel like the extra 250 is worth the jump to the XTX then go down that route.

I'm happy with my XT, I play at 1440p 180hz and 1080p240hz - I don't feel like the gain I'd get from the XTX justifies the cost increase to me.

However, that's just my thoughts on it. You might play at different resolutions and want the extra grunt, you might want to plug into a 4k monitor and play 4k high refresh, in which case the XTX will give you the extra leg room.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 160hz 1440p monitor but I have been playing more on the 4k tv only 60hz but plan to go oled 120hz eventually and the 5700xt isn't cutting it. I'm mostly interested in ue5 performance for ashes of creation mmorpg.

I'm buying a new 850 psu so might as well make the most of it and get the xtx. Logic haha but those leccy bills agh

As for cpu I have a 3700x. Plan to keep the X470 mobo and 32gb of 3200mhz ddr4 and get a 5800x3d.

Should be a good upgrade. This motherboard will last a decade. Always buy when a new socket comes out if you can.

Last edited:
Associate

ive got a sapphire rx 7900xt puls and a 4k lg monitor plays all my games no problem i just drop the gpu game settings down a bit:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't realise the prices had gone up since I bought mine, I bought my XTX at £899 which I don't think was even the lowest its been on here? Now it's £960! So yeah I take it back, I'd go XT if I were buying now, or wait till after the new year for any more price drops?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom