• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Decided to RMA the card, the coil whine was just ridiculous in other games I can even hear them through headphones. Got £1300 I expected better from Sapphire.
Now I need to decide if I should swap or refund it and look to Nvidia..

you may not fair much better on the coil whine side of things.

Decided to RMA the card, the coil whine was just ridiculous in other games I can even hear them through headphones. Got £1300 I expected better from Sapphire.
Now I need to decide if I should swap or refund it and look to Nvidia..
Coil whine is a lottery, to think you wouldn’t get any for spending more on a card is a pipe dream! That goes for AMD or nVidia.

Last edited:
I think I just got unlucky, as stated earlier I don't mind some whine as long as its not audible through regular speaker use, but this was coming into my headphones as well :(

I think I just got unlucky, as stated earlier I don't mind some whine as long as its not audible through regular speaker use, but this was coming into my headphones as well :(
You may get another of the same card and it would be fine. Equally, you could easily go and get a 4080 and it be just as bad.

It is.

I showed W1zzard on TPU the PCB from a far eastern review and he compared to Nitro he had and agreed same PCB minus bios switch, rgb circuitry.

He is confirming with Sapphire if it has dual vbios as manufacturer product page states this. But as there is no switch only TriXX would change vbios, which he's say is Nitro feature only. He is author of TriXX.

Cheers for this, also managed to find the same info on another forum you and ltmatt are also on :D

Properly connected now - @LtMatt how limited on the OC do you think I would be with the 750w power supply? I'm happy with the card on silent bios for what I came on but would like to see what it is capable of

@Kaapstad could you please add me to the owners list? Its a 7900xtx red devil (regular edition)

Properly connected now - @LtMatt how limited on the OC do you think I would be with the 750w power supply? I'm happy with the card on silent bios for what I came on but would like to see what it is capable of

@Kaapstad could you please add me to the owners list? Its a 7900xtx red devil (regular edition)
Looks nice.

Pretty limited I think, since the card can draw 467W fairly easily. :)

Cheers for this, also managed to find the same info on another forum you and ltmatt are also on :D

No problem :) ...

PXL-20230116-162107749.jpg

You should be fine. Checkout a owners share with 750W on XTX Devil in this thread. Also take note of Homex's post, he's 750W on XFX XT, from what recall one of the highest OC. He has power read from wall meter.

Decent PSU are rated DC side, so if you have a 750W and it was 90% efficient, somewhere around ~840W you can pull from AC side.

One of the best <£10 I spent donkeys ago was getting a wall meter plug. You then know for sure where you are :) .

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am experiencing frequent crashes while playing Cyberpunk 2077 v1.61 with a 7900 XT MBA. The other specs are Ryzen 3600 CPU, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 with the latest update. I have already performed a driver reset with DDU, but the problem remains.
When monitoring with GPU-Z, I noticed that the crashes occur when the GPU clock reaches around 2850 MHz, but this is strange because I haven't set any overclock on the card. The problem occurs with both RT enabled and disabled, in both 4K and 1080p resolution. Memory clock is around 2480 MHz.
I have performed numerous stress tests with 3DMark and the GPU clock never exceeds 2500 MHz with 100% GPU usage, as per the card's specification. The GPU and hotspot temperatures never exceed 74 and 90 degrees respectively, so I think they are operating in the acceptable range.
Could it be a driver issue? Is it normal for the GPU clock to reach that frequency?

Hi everyone,
I am experiencing frequent crashes while playing Cyberpunk 2077 v1.61 with a 7900 XT MBA. The other specs are Ryzen 3600 CPU, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 with the latest update. I have already performed a driver reset with DDU, but the problem remains.
When monitoring with GPU-Z, I noticed that the crashes occur when the GPU clock reaches around 2850 MHz, but this is strange because I haven't set any overclock on the card. The problem occurs with both RT enabled and disabled, in both 4K and 1080p resolution. Memory clock is around 2480 MHz.
I have performed numerous stress tests with 3DMark and the GPU clock never exceeds 2500 MHz with 100% GPU usage, as per the card's specification. The GPU and hotspot temperatures never exceed 74 and 90 degrees respectively, so I think they are operating in the acceptable range.
Could it be a driver issue? Is it normal for the GPU clock to reach that frequency?
First thing I'd try is upping the power limit to +15 as when the clocks are going that high it may be causing a crash due to the power limit.

My 7900xt MBA regularly boosts up to 2800ish stable but I've got power limit set to +15 and undervolted to 1050mv from 1100mv.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Yeah it should be normal for the card to boost the GPU clock higher provided it has the headroom with temps, power & voltage.

What size & model PSU are you using?

Yeah it should be normal for the card to boost the GPU clock higher provided it has the headroom with temps, power & voltage.

What size & model PSU are you using?
Seasonic 650W, i know that it's below recommended specs, but Ryzen 5 3600 CPU consumes very little (65W max)

wow, my 7900 XT Pulse only boosts to about 2500MHz at stock. Didn't expect it to be this much worse than an MBA card!
Now I'm even more disappointed with it...
What were you expecting GM? :D

Generally the max boost clock will be limited by the power limit available to the card. Keep the power limit at maximum (+15%), keep the voltage as low as it'll go (assuming stable) and keep the temps as low as possible (depending on what fan noise you can tolerate) and you should see the highest possible boost frequency for your sample.

No problem :) ...

You should be fine. Checkout a owners share with 750W on XTX Devil in this thread. Also take note of Homex's post, he's 750W on XFX XT, from what recall one of the highest OC. He has power read from wall meter.

Decent PSU are rated DC side, so if you have a 750W and it was 90% efficient, somewhere around ~840W you can pull from AC side.

One of the best <£10 I spent donkeys ago was getting a wall meter plug. You then know for sure where you are :) .
Thanks for the advice. It's a Corsair SF750. the daisy chain was temporary whilst I got a new cable, which I now have.

The MW2 benchmark won't even run with the OC bios turned on - I'll try gaming with it instead at standard clocks for that bios and see if that's stable. It's a platinum rated PSU so it should ok.

It's a bizarre crash though, the game crashes, monitor output stops then starts and the mouse goes unresponsive. Keyboard works fine though.

Can I ask some of you lovely owners if the issue with crazy powerdraw at idle has been fixed, yet? I nearly bought a 7900XT at release but this put me off. My main PC is used for work so on for 8-9hrs of the day with very minimal GPU use. I don't want to draw a tonne of power with the card because I do a little gaming on an evening or weekend.

FWIW, I'm on a Radeon 480 right now for comparison. If an update has solved the idle issue then hopefully next post of mine in this thread will be a photo with my name on it!

Can I ask some of you lovely owners if the issue with crazy powerdraw at idle has been fixed, yet? I nearly bought a 7900XT at release but this put me off. My main PC is used for work so on for 8-9hrs of the day with very minimal GPU use. I don't want to draw a tonne of power with the card because I do a little gaming on an evening or weekend.

FWIW, I'm on a Radeon 480 right now for comparison. If an update has solved the idle issue then hopefully next post of mine in this thread will be a photo with my name on it!

Idle on my 7900XT MBA is around 25-35w. I believe the issue is with multi monitor setups but i don't think its been addressed yet, however AMD are aware.

I'm running a 1440P 144hz monitor FYI.

Last edited:
What were you expecting GM? :D

Generally the max boost clock will be limited by the power limit available to the card. Keep the power limit at maximum (+15%), keep the voltage as low as it'll go (assuming stable) and keep the temps as low as possible (depending on what fan noise you can tolerate) and you should see the highest possible boost frequency for your sample.
A card that could at least match the cheaper MBA cards...

I don't want to send it back but i'm going to have to aren't i?

Back
Top Bottom