• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

I'm surprised the 7900 XTX is actually smaller than my out going Inno3D 3080 iChill X4. Seems to have helped with airflow installed vertically in a Phanteks P500A case.

I ran Valley benchmark a few time to make it was working correctly and then ran Time Spy which seemed to be about right.

I did read the previous posts about the +15% -150mV adjustments which did seem to make a difference but my GPU only went to -100mV. However I then started to get a problem with the junction temp jumping to 100+ in a couple of games so stopped and re-installed the drivers to fix it. I may try again later.

CspjW4Z.jpg

RTX 7900 XTX compared to INNO3D iChill X4 3080

i5uuy7c.jpg
pHTpF5L.jpg

FMUVT0u.jpg
Nice. :)

That 3080 you are replacing is not the best looker is it, and what's up with that weird fan placement?

I'm surprised the 7900 XTX is actually smaller than my out going Inno3D 3080 iChill X4. Seems to have helped with airflow installed vertically in a Phanteks P500A case.

I ran Valley benchmark a few time to make it was working correctly and then ran Time Spy which seemed to be about right.

I did read the previous posts about the +15% -150mV adjustments which did seem to make a difference but my GPU only went to -100mV. However I then started to get a problem with the junction temp jumping to 100+ in a couple of games so stopped and re-installed the drivers to fix it. I may try again later.

CspjW4Z.jpg

RTX 7900 XTX compared to INNO3D iChill X4 3080

i5uuy7c.jpg
pHTpF5L.jpg

FMUVT0u.jpg

Welcome and on TOL.:)

The Owners List.

ApdsOSW.jpg

Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bimbleuk, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Kangaxx, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, gupsterg, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Noluck, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, JDHansen, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XT, Chewie, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Haz123, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, ElderKarr, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, jinxpad, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, LtMatt, Link

To get on The Owners List all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 7900 XT(X).

Well last night initial install went smooth.

i) Used DDU to remove drivers.
ii) Drained loop, removed my RX 6800 XT Pulse with Bykski block.
iii) Rig POSTed 1st time no issue.

In OS Task Manager showed ~8.x seconds bios time, same as RX 6800 XT. Only stating as someone here posted slow POST with RX 7900 series.

Ran SuperPosition 4K Optimised, got 20K @ stock.

Tried 3DM FS rig black screen and turn off.

Re-powered rig, same thing occurred :(

Turned off PSU, card is clearly seated well, can see clearly PCI-E seated as it should be. Check power cables, again seated as should be. Using a Cooler Master V850 PSU, separate cables per PCI-E plug.

Ran SuperPosition 4K Optimised, got 22K @ stock.

Tried Heaven rig black screen and turn off.

Tried Witcher 3 rig black screen and turn off.

OS is fresh install only week or two ago, W10 Pro fully updated. OS is not stripped, but no bloat and excess in background from my apps I use or at startup.

Currently on UEFI 4303 Beta for Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, had no issues prior to swapping to RX 7900 XTX MBA.

Trying another UEFI for mobo.

My system specs:-

5800X3D (BR 2422 PGS)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (UEFI 4303 Beta AGESA 1.2.0.8)
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB (BLS2K16G4D32AESB)

SN770 2TB NVMe
2x 870 EVO 4TB SATA

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900, front door removed and mesh mod done, top panel stock mesh had plastic removed to improve airflow.

Cooling:-

Bykski A-Ryzen-ThV2-X CPU block (Arctic Cooling MX-4)
Bykski A-SP6800-X Water block (Arctic Silver 5)
2x Magicool 360 Slim G2 radiator
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
EK ZMT (OD 5/8", ID 3/8")
Barrow fittings
Coolant Mayhems XT-1 clear concentrate ~20% mix with distilled water
Top radiator as exhaust, 3x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM (push only)
Front rad as intake, 6x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM (push/pull only)
Case rear fan, Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 1000RPM (set to 100%)
Case RAM fan Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 1000RPM (set to 100%)

Cards look awesome, hope owners are having fun playing and tinkering :D

P.S. Hope they smell good (new hardware smell is just amazing haha!)

Card looks awesome for sure. Yeah new HW smell is there :D...

Now to solve my gremlins...

Last edited:
Finally finished my new build, been buying parts over time. 7700x with a 7900xtx. Really happy, haven't had a proper play about with it yet.

I got the Sapphire reference 7900xtx, been a lot of messing about with a fresh install to try fix any potential issues but didn't, It just runs hot... Spectacularly hot.
Coming from a 6950XT trio its a bit of a let down with noise and thermals. Has bouts of been fast and a good bump in fps, then just thermal throttles within a min, pins as 110 degrees hotspot and fans full blast.
Girlfriend shouted upstairs to ask if i was Vacuuming :cry:

Tried a 80mv underclock as it just crashes any below, it just wont shake off the rapid 110 degree hotspot. Even in the lobby 110 degrees.

First time with a reference model, will be the last I think, will look further into it when I have time to see if its normal or its faulty.
Anyone else experienced this? normal or not... I've only ever bought big bulky cooler GPUs before.

This is in warzone 2.0, 3440x 1440 monitor, 5800X3D CPU, I've seen it hit 170 fps briefly but throttles back, my 6950xt was getting 130 fps so not much of a bump
dMgraGj.png

Last edited:
I got the Sapphire reference 7900xtx, been a lot of messing about with a fresh install to try fix any potential issues but didn't, It just runs hot... Spectacularly hot.
Coming from a 6950XT trio its a bit of a let down with noise and thermals. Has bouts of been fast and a good bump in fps, then just thermal throttles within a min, pins as 110 degrees hotspot and fans full blast.
Girlfriend shouted upstairs to ask if i was Vacuuming :cry:

Tried a 80mv underclock as it just crashes any below, it just wont shake off the rapid 110 degree hotspot. Even in the lobby 110 degrees.

First time with a reference model, will be the last I think, will look further into it when I have time to see if its normal or its faulty.
Anyone else experienced this? normal or not... only ever bought big bulky cooler GPUs before.

This is in warzone 2.0, 3440x 1440 monitor, 5800X3D CPU, I've seen it hit 170 fps briefly but throttles back, my 6950xt was getting 130 fps so not much of a bump
dMgraGj.png
Must be bad contact to go straight to 110c. Mine does not go over 90c at worst. Could RMA or replace the thermal paste and it'll probably fix it if you are comfortable doing so.

I've already taken mine apart and it's quite easy to dismantle and reassembly and no warranty stickers either. :D

Must be bad contact to go straight to 110c. Mine does not go over 90c at worst. Could RMA or replace the thermal paste and it'll probably fix it if you are comfortable doing so.

I've already taken mine apart and it's quite easy to dismantle and reassembly and no warranty stickers either. :D

So it shouldnt got to 110 degrees and sound like a vacuum then...
Idk, Literally spent over 1k on this and got it yesterday... I shouldn't have to fix it aswell. Might just ring OC and see if they any AIB cards coming in and if they can put me on a waiting list...

Last edited:
Nice. :)

That 3080 you are replacing is not the best looker is it, and what's up with that weird fan placement?
Marketing to be called a 4X made no difference and I looked to remove it as well as some of the other plastic tat along the top edge when installed.

Not my first choice but it was in stock last December for under a grand.

Idk, Literally spent over 1k on this and got it yesterday... no way I should have to fix it on a principle of the matter. Might just ring OC and see if they any AIB cards coming in and if they can put me on a waiting list...
Yep definitely something up with it shouldn't be going straight to 110c, RMA it.

Idk, Literally spent over 1k on this and got it yesterday... I shouldn't have to fix it aswell. Might just ring OC and see if they any AIB cards coming in and if they can put me on a waiting list...
See my previous post this happened to my GPU after I played with the manual tuning in the AMD software.

Try using DDU (driver uninstall util found on Guru3d.com) to remove the driver. Then re-install it. That fixed the issue on my GPU now the temps back to junction temp running more like a junction temp of 70C at 1700 RPM.

Last edited:
I was hoping to do Modern Warfare 2 next, but Activision decided to release a big update and now I'm stuck downloading for hours.

I think his issue may have been something else. I see no difference in post time on the 7900 XTX vs the 4090.

It's just something I saw a few reviewers mention that their test rigs took ages to boot with the 7900xtx installed. It's not a consistent issue only happens for some PCs

Last edited:
I'd already mostly cleaned it when I took that picture. The stock paste was hard to remove, it was like thick clay. It does a decent job to be fair.
Good to know. I thought there was an issue there. Interested to see how Liquid Metal improves things. I guess with the putty you don’t need to replace that?

Back
Top Bottom